Apparently, Buddhists Are Trying To Take Over

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2014, 07:48 PM
RE: Apparently, Buddhists Are Trying To Take Over
You know, after looking at that article for about as long as I could stand to, that teacher reminds me of the strawman "professor" in in that "God's Not Dead" movie, only the atheist/theist roles are reversed. I wonder if the assholes who wrote it used her as inspiration.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Here we go again, the Christian persecution complex. Facepalm I find it amazing that a group of people who have persecuted people all over the world for nearly 2,000 years and slaughtered countless millions in the name of their god actually have the gall to make the claim that they are being persecuted. Of course, their definition of persecuted means not allowing them to shove their religious bullshit down everybody else's throats and then crying foul when somebody calls them out on their hypocritical bullshit.

I can't even imagine the level of stupidity that it takes for them to not be able to see the blatant hypocrisy in their behavior.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
19-03-2014, 09:29 PM
The Treaty of Tripoli (Treaty of Peace and Friendship between the United States of America and the Bey and Subjects of Tripoli of Barbary) was the first treaty concluded between the United States of America and Tripolitania, signed at Tripoli on November 4, 1796, and at Algiers (for a third-party witness) on January 3, 1797. It was submitted to the Senate by President John Adams, receiving ratification unanimously from the U.S. Senate on June 7, 1797, and signed by Adams, taking effect as the law of the land on June 10, 1797.

The treaty was a routine diplomatic agreement but has attracted later attention because the English version included a clause about religion in the United States.

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Mohammedan] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli

Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
20-03-2014, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2014 08:44 PM by HU.Junyuan.)
Invite a totem-worshipiing Native American co-worker over, and ask that Christian co-worker of yours to tell the whole thing about persecution and "taking-over" again.

Problem solved.

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 2 users Like HU.Junyuan's post
21-03-2014, 02:08 AM
(19-03-2014 04:49 PM)Compassion4Life Wrote:  Most of the people I work with know that I am Buddhist. Yesterday, a co-worker of mine said to me "So now you Buddhists want to take over!" I said I was quite confused on what she was talking about. She said that a Buddhist sued a school district because they felt they were being treated unfairly because they were Buddhist, and that the Buddhist family won in court. She said "Christians are now being persecuted in this country, which is a Christian nation. If a Buddhist doesn't want to be part of Christianity then they shouldn't be coming here and expecting Christians to just lie down and do nothing!"

Needless to say, I was quite surprised with the way she took her anger out on me, especially for something which I knew nothing about. I think the idea of Buddhists trying to "take over" in the U.S. is quite ridiculous, but some people obviously feel different.

As soon as I got home I looked it up out of curiosity, because I heard nothing about it. Here is an article about what happened:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...-in-court/

Oh. Oh. If this isn't the boss or the boss's favorite, you should SO call her on the hypocrisy of this. Bonus points for using the phrase "false witness" with regard to her blaming Buddhists at large, or framing this as a matter of persecution rather than ending persecution.

... okay, multiplying office drama MIGHT not be the best move. But hate speech (and that's what this is, really, even if it's nowhere near the worst kind of hate speech) should never go unanswered.

(19-03-2014 07:48 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I find it amazing that a group of people who have persecuted people all over the world for nearly 2,000 years and slaughtered countless millions in the name of their god actually have the gall to make the claim that they are being persecuted.

Eh, I'll let 'em have it if they're, say, Coptic Christians in Egypt. Or someone else somewhere else that there's real persecution. But these spoiled American babies wouldn't survive five minutes of that.
21-03-2014, 04:12 PM
(19-03-2014 04:49 PM)Compassion4Life Wrote:  Most of the people I work with know that I am Buddhist. Yesterday, a co-worker of mine said to me "So now you Buddhists want to take over!" I said I was quite confused on what she was talking about. She said that a Buddhist sued a school district because they felt they were being treated unfairly because they were Buddhist, and that the Buddhist family won in court. She said "Christians are now being persecuted in this country, which is a Christian nation. If a Buddhist doesn't want to be part of Christianity then they shouldn't be coming here and expecting Christians to just lie down and do nothing!"

Needless to say, I was quite surprised with the way she took her anger out on me, especially for something which I knew nothing about. I think the idea of Buddhists trying to "take over" in the U.S. is quite ridiculous, but some people obviously feel different.

As soon as I got home I looked it up out of curiosity, because I heard nothing about it. Here is an article about what happened:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...-in-court/
Unfortunately, uneducated bigots are everywhere. Dodgy

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
21-03-2014, 05:57 PM
And here I was, thinking that the USA was a nation with freedom of religion (including the freedom to not have one) and that Buddhism, at least in most versions, is more of a life philosophy anyway than a religion, advocating peace, not gods.
But now I know that the US is in fact a christian nation being overrun by vicious buddhists out to conquer the world. You live you learn. Big Grin Hah

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post