Apparently, Christians don't last very long here.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2011, 12:32 AM
Apparently, Christians don't last very long here.
Besides the obvious (thethinkingatheist.com), what usually makes them run?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2011, 12:56 AM
RE: Apparently, Christians don't last very long here.
Thinking atheists? A persecution complex? The "minutes of the meetings of the minds" is there for all to see. Are you volunteering to be a Christian? Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
25-11-2011, 01:17 AM
(25-11-2011 12:56 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Thinking atheists? A persecution complex? The "minutes of the meetings of the minds" is there for all to see. Are you volunteering to be a Christian? Angel

Well, to me, I think it's dangerous and unproductive to only associate with those that think and believe like you do. Christians have a tendency to do this and pretty much don't understand why they believe what they believe.
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
25-11-2011, 01:40 AM
(25-11-2011 12:32 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Besides the obvious (thethinkingatheist.com), what usually makes them run?

Debating probably gets old or at least cold after a while. I can't speak for my fellow atheists, well, I could speak for Johnny Cantor because If I don't no one will understand him, but I am here for much more than debate. This is a support group for somewhat closely related thinking minds. I doubt most people here are here to do battle. The occasional True Believer (TB) that walks in probably gets bored when s/he finds out there isn't much to debate when the vast majority of us aren't debating 24/7. We are also talking about our favorite anime or what form do we prefer to ingest cannabis. The TB that is churched up and ready to fight probably leaves disappointed to find out those Satan Worshiping Atheists aren't such bad folk on the whole. Just one person's speculation.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
25-11-2011, 01:46 AM
(25-11-2011 01:17 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(25-11-2011 12:56 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Thinking atheists? A persecution complex? The "minutes of the meetings of the minds" is there for all to see. Are you volunteering to be a Christian? Angel

Well, to me, I think it's dangerous and unproductive to only associate with those that think and believe like you do. Christians have a tendency to do this and pretty much don't understand why they believe what they believe.

I've seen you volunteering to be a Baptist of sorts. It is the middle of the night and the ravenous atheists are mostly asleep; you do realize that when they stir there will be a "feeding frenzy" of sorts?

I mean, despite what the Hellbound Preacher says... Big Grin

And despite the propaganda, an atheist is just a human being in opposition to a human institution. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
25-11-2011, 01:52 AM
(25-11-2011 01:46 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I've seen you volunteering to be a Baptist of sorts. It is the middle of the night and the ravenous atheists are mostly asleep; you do realize that when they stir there will be a "feeding frenzy" of sorts?

I mean, despite what the Hellbound Preacher says... Big Grin

I always was a little naive. I had hoped I was overcoming this. Also not the first time I've communicated something based on faith, yet was false.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
25-11-2011, 02:18 AM
(25-11-2011 01:17 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well, to me, I think it's dangerous and unproductive to only associate with those that think and believe like you do. Christians have a tendency to do this and pretty much don't understand why they believe what they believe.

It's *hard* to hang out with those that don't think like you. Everything that Christians revere, pretty much, we don't like. Faith, God, Jesus... For a Christian to hang out here he needs to be pretty thick skinned - there's gonna be a lot of stuff he/she finds offensive. Hence, not a lot stick around.

I *prefer* the company of people who think like me. Exposure to new ideas is good once in a while but Christianity is old ideas and I've been exposed to them most of my life. Anyway, it's not like everyone here hangs out exclusively on this forum - there's religion in pretty much everyone's life... plenty of exposure for all, and most have very good reasons and *do* understand why they believe what they believe.
25-11-2011, 02:45 AM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2011 02:48 AM by Stark Raving.)
(25-11-2011 12:32 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Besides the obvious (thethinkingatheist.com), what usually makes them run?

There is also the "gang up" factor. Most christians understandably feel ganged up on here, since the large majority of us are atheists. So When a christian comes and says, "ask me such and such", s/he will suddenly be innundated with 20 comments all at once. That is a hard spot to be in, and it's tough not to feel like you are being treated with hostility. Especially since many of us are very matter-of-fact, and have heard all the arguments so often we know them like a childhood nursery rhyme.

I would also suspect that many christians are taken by suprise when they find out how well a lot of us know the bible. Many of us know it far better than the average christian, so when we point out specifics contained within the text, and are able to easily and logically show inaccuracies/atrocities/contradictions/absudrities, it is again easily viewed as hostility. And I won't pretend that it isn't sometimes indeed hostility. A great many former christians on here became atheists because they read the bible and saw what an awful and innacurate book it is. When you are taught to eat poison every day, and then finally learn that you've been taught your entire life to do something that you shouldn't, it's understandable that it will breed some hostility. And when that hostiliy shows, it's hard to see that the hostility is for christianity, not the christian with whom they debate.

So that, along with perhaps dozens of other reasons, is why most christians don't last long here. So I ask that you bear with us, and try to remind yourself that each of us are individuals. So when one person is being a dick, remember not to interpret that as all of us being dicks. When one person says something stupid, that doesn't make the person stupid as a whole, nor does it make atheists stupid as a group. Remember that we don't share any beliefs. Only that we share a lack of belief in one thing. So our diversity is vast, and our similarities coincidental.

...plus, we can be a little nuts. Welcome to the forum!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 8 users Like Stark Raving's post
25-11-2011, 04:00 AM
Yes, I think one should be very knowledgeable about religions in general, about science, about history and about traditions to be able to come here and have an intelligent conversation. Unfortunately, mostly Creationist Christians visit this forum, so there goes the "scientific" and "historical" part of the conversation and the "general religions" is also very questionable, because most Creationists know only a few thing about Creationism, not Buddhism, Taoism, Islam, Judaism and all other religions. So most Christians make a mistake when they think that their religion is going to protect them and give them the knowledge to defeat some stupid atheist in a religious debate, but what they find out is that we are not that stupid, that we like to read and know about the things we talk about.

This all means that we are not to blame for the fact that Christians do not hang out here with us, it is the pure ignorance of the religious people that drives them away from here. Every intelligent person will have plenty of things to talk about here and we can have long, interesting and funny debates, but that requires some basic knowledge to begin with.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
25-11-2011, 06:08 AM

I think there's a variety of reasons.

Firstly we get a lot of people who are simply here to preach and not debate which kinda puts people's backs up a little bit.

Unfortunately that also means that when we do occasionally get Christians that are here to debate people can be a little quick to write them off as trolls and can fire up a little prematurely and be overly aggressive.

Also, like someone else said, I think they are quite often taken a-back by the level of religious knowledge on the forum. They don't expect to come here and find a bunch of people who know more about Christianity than they do.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.