Apparently Gawd Is Smiting Me...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Apparently Gawd Is Smiting Me...
I am 37 years old, and have struggled with progressively degenerative breathing problems most of my life. As a teen I was diagnosed with asthma. When I got to college it had gotten bad enough that I had to get a nebulizer and do albuterol treatments several times a day, in addition to carrying a rescue inhaler. About five years ago, my breathing got even worse, and was then diagnosed with early stage COPD. I was a welder for a number of years, so my issues were ascribed to my career choice. Now I have full-fledged emphysema. I am getting put on oxygen tomorrow.

Anyhow, during a blood test, my doctor tested me for a genetic disorder called Alpha One Antitrypsin Deficiency. I tested positive, having both genetic markers for this hereditary disease (which used to be referred to as Genetic or Hereditary Emphysema).

My first impulse was to alert my family members, since many of my cousins have small children (being a father of 3, I know how imperative it is to protect the health of our children). When I called my aunt to tell her she needed to spread the word so her daughters could get checked, she said it wasn't necessary. Her daughters were fine, according to her, and I was merely being punished by God for leading the life of a heathen. She spouted scripture at me, about how those who turn their backs on the lord are to be smited...

My five year old son has since tested positive for this disorder. So what exactly is gawd punishing this preschooler for?

So, it turns out that this disorder is prevalent in Irish ancestry, which I have a lot of. Maybe gawd is punishing the people of the Emerald Isle?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes retroviral's post
06-03-2014, 10:16 PM
RE: Apparently Gawd Is Smiting Me...
Always funny how god only punishes a certain number of atheists, isn't it? Like, a number proportionate to the number of religious people he's supposedly punishing (acounting for size of the groups), I'm willing to bet. He sure works in mysterious ways, that god. Yes

Did you say anything back to her after that?
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
06-03-2014, 11:12 PM
(06-03-2014 10:16 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Always funny how god only punishes a certain number of atheists, isn't it? Like, a number proportionate to the number of religious people he's supposedly punishing (acounting for size of the groups)

Can you provide a citation or did you just make that up?
06-03-2014, 11:19 PM
(06-03-2014 11:12 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Can you provide a citation or did you just make that up?

Well he's punishing us with you. Does that count ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-03-2014, 11:22 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 11:25 PM by Im_Ryan.)
(06-03-2014 11:12 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(06-03-2014 10:16 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Always funny how god only punishes a certain number of atheists, isn't it? Like, a number proportionate to the number of religious people he's supposedly punishing (acounting for size of the groups)

Facepalm

Ok, I'll play along. Yes. Yes I can actually.
This is related.
..and this

Atir aissom atir imon
06-03-2014, 11:25 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 11:45 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Some people get worse. If ya have heart surgery, tell them not to pray for you.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...133554.htm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-03-2014, 11:31 PM
(06-03-2014 11:12 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

shoo fly

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
06-03-2014, 11:59 PM
(06-03-2014 09:22 PM)retroviral Wrote:  I am 37 years old, and have struggled with progressively degenerative breathing problems most of my life. As a teen I was diagnosed with asthma. When I got to college it had gotten bad enough that I had to get a nebulizer and do albuterol treatments several times a day, in addition to carrying a rescue inhaler. About five years ago, my breathing got even worse, and was then diagnosed with early stage COPD. I was a welder for a number of years, so my issues were ascribed to my career choice. Now I have full-fledged emphysema. I am getting put on oxygen tomorrow.

Anyhow, during a blood test, my doctor tested me for a genetic disorder called Alpha One Antitrypsin Deficiency. I tested positive, having both genetic markers for this hereditary disease (which used to be referred to as Genetic or Hereditary Emphysema).

My first impulse was to alert my family members, since many of my cousins have small children (being a father of 3, I know how imperative it is to protect the health of our children). When I called my aunt to tell her she needed to spread the word so her daughters could get checked, she said it wasn't necessary. Her daughters were fine, according to her, and I was merely being punished by God for leading the life of a heathen. She spouted scripture at me, about how those who turn their backs on the lord are to be smited...

My five year old son has since tested positive for this disorder. So what exactly is gawd punishing this preschooler for?

So, it turns out that this disorder is prevalent in Irish ancestry, which I have a lot of. Maybe gawd is punishing the people of the Emerald Isle?

Oh that's horrible for you. Hug

Your aunt sounds incredibly ignorant and she really should take it all more seriously. I've no words.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

07-03-2014, 12:05 AM
I always have to do the trust/verify on these things.
I don't want to sound bad but I seem the be paranoid about all these huge life-crisis situations are really just theists doing studies or testing the water.
Oh noodles! I think I've got paranoia!
But I still feel bad for you.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
07-03-2014, 12:50 AM
Your aunt needs a good swift kick in the ass.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]