Apparently Gawd Is Smiting Me...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2014, 04:33 AM
RE: Apparently Gawd Is Smiting Me...
god or no god maybe having children if you have genetic disorder is not such a great idea. Hopefully it will be fixed by genetic engineering in the future.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2014, 04:55 AM
(06-03-2014 11:22 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(06-03-2014 11:12 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Can you provide a citation or did you just make that up?

Ok, I'll play along. Yes. Yes I can actually.
This is related.
..and this

I ask to be shown an apple and you show me a lemon. The claim was that atheists are "punished" in the same proportion as religious people are "punished". The claim had nothing to do with the efficacy of prayer(which in another thread I have previously shown to be incapable of being credibly tested).
07-03-2014, 09:03 AM
(07-03-2014 04:55 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(06-03-2014 11:22 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Ok, I'll play along. Yes. Yes I can actually.
This is related.
..and this

I ask to be shown an apple and you show me a lemon. The claim was that atheists are "punished" in the same proportion as religious people are "punished". The claim had nothing to do with the efficacy of prayer(which in another thread I have previously shown to be incapable of being credibly tested).

Hmm... Consider

Okay, I'll bite.
Assuming we have any technology, supplies, "guinea pigs", people to help, etc... that you would need; what sort of test could humanity perform to attempt to prove the "theory" that "God punishes believers to the same degree as unbelievers"?
To me, those tests prove exactly that. Yes, they were testing the "efficiently of prayer", but that would be irrelevant. Assuming those who prayed were believers, why didn't God answer them in kind? Why was there no difference?

Atir aissom atir imon
07-03-2014, 09:36 AM
(06-03-2014 09:22 PM)retroviral Wrote:  I am 37 years old, and have struggled with progressively degenerative breathing problems most of my life. As a teen I was diagnosed with asthma. When I got to college it had gotten bad enough that I had to get a nebulizer and do albuterol treatments several times a day, in addition to carrying a rescue inhaler. About five years ago, my breathing got even worse, and was then diagnosed with early stage COPD. I was a welder for a number of years, so my issues were ascribed to my career choice. Now I have full-fledged emphysema. I am getting put on oxygen tomorrow.

Anyhow, during a blood test, my doctor tested me for a genetic disorder called Alpha One Antitrypsin Deficiency. I tested positive, having both genetic markers for this hereditary disease (which used to be referred to as Genetic or Hereditary Emphysema).

My first impulse was to alert my family members, since many of my cousins have small children (being a father of 3, I know how imperative it is to protect the health of our children). When I called my aunt to tell her she needed to spread the word so her daughters could get checked, she said it wasn't necessary. Her daughters were fine, according to her, and I was merely being punished by God for leading the life of a heathen. She spouted scripture at me, about how those who turn their backs on the lord are to be smited...

My five year old son has since tested positive for this disorder. So what exactly is gawd punishing this preschooler for?

So, it turns out that this disorder is prevalent in Irish ancestry, which I have a lot of. Maybe gawd is punishing the people of the Emerald Isle?

She has no other coping mechanism. If she didn't tell herself that everything is caused by god and for a reason, the cruelty of the world would be unbearable. Her illogical explanation is the only way she can cope with the huge thing you told her - having a genetic defect in the family is a scary thing.

I hope you are taking good care of yourself - and that includes having as much fun as possible. Laughing out loud is good lung exercise and recommended for all breathing impaired people...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-03-2014, 10:14 AM
(07-03-2014 09:03 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(07-03-2014 04:55 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I ask to be shown an apple and you show me a lemon. The claim was that atheists are "punished" in the same proportion as religious people are "punished". The claim had nothing to do with the efficacy of prayer(which in another thread I have previously shown to be incapable of being credibly tested).

Hmm... Consider

Okay, I'll bite.
Assuming we have any technology, supplies, "guinea pigs", people to help, etc... that you would need; what sort of test could humanity perform to attempt to prove the "theory" that "God punishes believers to the same degree as unbelievers"?
To me, those tests prove exactly that. Yes, they were testing the "efficiently of prayer", but that would be irrelevant. Assuming those who prayed were believers, why didn't God answer them in kind? Why was there no difference?

Because by testing prayer you change what it is.
07-03-2014, 10:19 AM
(07-03-2014 10:14 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(07-03-2014 09:03 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Hmm... Consider

Okay, I'll bite.

Because by testing prayer you change what it is.

There's nice, answer the first question.

Atir aissom atir imon
07-03-2014, 10:29 AM
(07-03-2014 10:19 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(07-03-2014 10:14 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Because by testing prayer you change what it is.

There's nice, answer the first question.

I'm not convinced you could credibly test God.
07-03-2014, 10:30 AM
(07-03-2014 10:29 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(07-03-2014 10:19 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  There's nice, answer the first question.

I'm not convinced you could credibly test that either.

Then your idea is unfalsifiable. Why should we trust your conclusion?

Atir aissom atir imon
07-03-2014, 10:32 AM
(07-03-2014 10:30 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(07-03-2014 10:29 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I'm not convinced you could credibly test that either.

Then your idea is unfalsifiable. Why should we trust your conclusion?

My turbo edit was to slow....

Anyways. On the subject of your question, I have not made any conclusion. You are confused about that. Another person made a claim and I asked him to substantiate it.....that is all.
07-03-2014, 10:39 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2014 10:43 AM by Timber1025.)
(07-03-2014 10:32 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(07-03-2014 10:30 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Then your idea is unfalsifiable. Why should we trust your conclusion?

My turbo edit was to slow....

Anyways. On the subject of your question, I have not made any conclusion. You are confused about that. Another person made a claim and I asked him to substantiate it.....that is all.

My two cents - I think you are nit picking the statement as you always do, and missing the overall message or point that was being made. The person's claim (more like a general statement) was to suggest that believer or not, the same amount of good and bad things happen to you, in equal proportions. There is no special direction or choosing from a god. That is what I got out out that post. I think this is well understood, but finding specific references is always a bit more difficult in this matter.

I think agian that it would be up to the believer to show supporting data whether athiests have more bad things happen to them, or that they seemingly get punished more in life.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —