Apparently I'm in the closet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Apparently I'm in the closet
I try to forget my atheism about as much as I try to forget my cerebral palsy. Because I like to believe my religion or lack thereof doesn't matter. Normally it doesn't however tonight was different. In order to understand this, you have to understand that I live with my mother and only my mother. My mother was born into the catholic faith but became a protestant in her teens and married a "pagan" (I put that last part in quotations, because I'm not sure how pagans believe. I just know he claims to be one.) This "pagan" is my father, who was in and out of prison my entire life. After my parents separated in August I disowned him for reasons unrelated to this post. My point in this, was that my parents were interfaith. While my father was in prison, we were devotedly religious. When he was out, he scoffed at Christianity, and didn't make me go to church. After awhile religion has become a dormant topic until tonight. I assumed that I had been an implicit atheist in my house for years, I assumed it didn't need saying that I was an atheist.
My mother has this friend who is highly religious. She invited us over for food today as she often does, however this time she knew that my mother wanted to drag me to a movie that night, right be for we went to eat at the friends house my mother decided we should save the money and not go, but still go to the friends and eat. So while we were eating my mom's friend's husband asks us if we would like to see a movie on their DVR, which having nothing better to do that night we agreed.
The problem was he wouldn't tell us the name of the movie until we were already watching it. They know me and my mom don't go to church and have always looked at it as their problem to correct. Mind you my mother doesn't have many friends and these were nice people but the movie was "Grace Card" which was recorded at 2 am on Starz if that tells you anything, but I think the movie synopsis will tell you everything

"Everything can change in an instant ... and take a lifetime to unravel. When Mac McDonald loses his son in an accident, the ensuing 17 years of bitterness and pain erodes his love for his family and leaves him angry with God ... and just about everyone else. Mac's rage stonewalls his career in the police department and makes for a combustible situation when he's partnered with Sam Wright, a rising star on the force who happens to be a part-time pastor and a loving family man. Can they somehow join forces to help one another when it's impossible for either of them to look past their differences-especially the most obvious one? Every day, we have the opportunity to rebuild relationships and heal deep wounds by extending and receiving God's grace. Offer THE GRACE CARD"

On the ride home I wanted to talk about how clearly the movie was utter propaganda and how BS the concept of it was. Then my mother tells me she liked it and thinks it is a bad thing that I didn't like it, and we start talking about my lack of faith and how we should go to church.

Sooo yea. Apparently I'm in the closet.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2012, 09:02 AM
RE: Apparently I'm in the closet
I'm thinking...
Not any more, you're not.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
26-02-2012, 09:38 AM
To me it sounds like your mom is the one in the closet...or at least sticking her fingers in her ears so she can't hear you talk about your atheism. Smile

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
26-02-2012, 10:09 AM
I don't think liking or disliking a movie should dictate anything.
Some movies, religious or not, just suck. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes jinun's post
26-02-2012, 11:48 AM
(26-02-2012 09:02 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm thinking...
Not any more, you're not.

I'm with DLJ on this one.

It seems issues may have been swept under the rug for a while. And now your mother has chosen to rekindle old fires. Up to you how you want to deal with it, but yeah... not in the closet anymore friend.

Peace.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.