Apparently, Ken Ham enabled comments on his Youtube channel.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Apparently, Ken Ham enabled comments on his Youtube channel.
Let's let him know we're out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCbWsjUtrSU
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Vulpix's post
06-02-2014, 11:05 AM
RE: Apparently, Ken Ham enabled comments on his Youtube channel.
Christian friends on Facebook can't wait to buy the DVD Ken Ham will be selling soon.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

06-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Ken Ham is a fitting name considering his content is so full of pork.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
06-02-2014, 11:12 AM
(06-02-2014 11:10 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Ken Ham is a fitting name considering his content is so full of pork.

His debate attempts are so ham-handed.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
06-02-2014, 11:13 AM
(06-02-2014 11:05 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Christian friends on Facebook can't wait to buy the DVD Ken Ham will be selling soon.

WHY!?!?!?!?! All he said was, "The bible says..." There was no new information there.

[+] 4 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
06-02-2014, 11:15 AM
(06-02-2014 11:13 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 11:05 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Christian friends on Facebook can't wait to buy the DVD Ken Ham will be selling soon.

WHY!?!?!?!?! All he said was, "The bible says..." There was no new information there.

Confirmation bias is a powerful cognitive bias.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post
06-02-2014, 01:00 PM
(06-02-2014 11:15 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 11:13 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  WHY!?!?!?!?! All he said was, "The bible says..." There was no new information there.

Confirmation bias is a powerful cognitive bias.

Oh, I see. They want it so they can sit around and say, "Yeap, that's right, Ken. The bible does say that! Smile"

That concept is funny to me, because I personally love learning new things. Sometimes that involves learning things outside of my educational background, like quantum physics.

There is a lot of stuff, on that subject, that I read that doesn't make intuitive sense to me. It’s at times quite hard and confusing. I could stop there and go back to the subjects I did learn and know very well already, and restudy and relearn them (which I always do anyway, as not to fall behind as the subject of my major advances beyond what I learned in college) and I could just keep repeating to myself, "yeap I know this and I know that and I've already known these things for a long time" and feel self satisfied that I have all the answers because I only look where I feel comfortable.

But I don't stop there because I’m not comfortable with knowing there are things I don’t know. I’ll look at that super confusing thing in quantum physics that I read, and ask a lot of tough questions about it. The same kind of questions some Christians might ask (if they looked that far in) that they would stop there, and in their ignorance would attempt to use it as evidence of a flaw, and why it's wrong. But instead of stopping there, I look further and try to see what scientist say about those things I don't understand, how they explain it, what evidence they have for it, there methods of deriving it. And to determine whether it can be explained or not. And what do you know, there are answers there! The work, much of it, has already been done.

There are also more question, but then you do the same, looking deeper and deeper and deeper with each new question, and the answers are amazing! Far more amazing than Ham’s explanation, "The bible explains where matter came from. In the beginning, God created the heaven's and the earth."

That's all Ham has to say. It's not impressive. He's attempting to use one sentence to explain the whole of the cosmos. But not one of those questions I find in my studies is even approached to being answered by Ham's one sentence "God did it".

But then I think of those Christian Creationist, sitting at home, watching this DVD, repeating to themselves, "Yeap, that's right, Ham! God did it!" Questions over.

Creationist: "How can you explain the development of the human eye through the theory of evolution? I don't know, but I'm not going to bother looking into what scientist say about how it evolved because Ken Ham says they can’t explain it, and God did it on the 6th day anyway. So I already know. Nothing to look up. No more questions."

I don't know. That approach just seems to take the beauty, wonder, and mystery out of life. How can you live that way?

[+] 4 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
06-02-2014, 01:03 PM
(06-02-2014 01:00 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I don't know. That approach just seems to take the beauty, wonder, and mystery out of life. How can you live that way?

I was a YEC at one point. I can tell you it's incredibly easy once you've been convinced to shut out external influence, that anything contradictory is not of god and that anyone who attempts to convince you otherwise is trying to trick you.

Add in being put into a christian school, being further indoctrinated, being told that science in public school is a lie and ungodly, and continuing to go to brainwashing sessions every sunday (they call that church) and it's certainly not difficult to cling onto ANYTHING that sounds good to you. It's like a comfort. You hear all these conflicting ideas and external stories that challenge you to try and think, and you search for anything that agrees with your position, you plug your ears with your fingers and go, "LA LA LA LA LA."

It helps when you're surrounded by the same type of thinking as well. It's only once you get out of that do you realize how ridiculous it is, and how incredibly difficult it is for others already set in that mindset to consider otherwise. To break that line of thinking takes a serious amount of time and is not overnight.

[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
06-02-2014, 02:28 PM
(06-02-2014 01:03 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 01:00 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I don't know. That approach just seems to take the beauty, wonder, and mystery out of life. How can you live that way?

I was a YEC at one point. I can tell you it's incredibly easy once you've been convinced to shut out external influence, that anything contradictory is not of god and that anyone who attempts to convince you otherwise is trying to trick you.

Add in being put into a Christian school, being further indoctrinated, being told that science in public school is a lie and ungodly, and continuing to go to brainwashing sessions every sunday (they call that church) and it's certainly not difficult to cling onto ANYTHING that sounds good to you. It's like a comfort. You hear all these conflicting ideas and external stories that challenge you to try and think, and you search for anything that agrees with your position, you plug your ears with your fingers and go, "LA LA LA LA LA."

It helps when you're surrounded by the same type of thinking as well. It's only once you get out of that do you realize how ridiculous it is, and how incredibly difficult it is for others already set in that mindset to consider otherwise. To break that line of thinking takes a serious amount of time and is not overnight.

Okay, because I have no idea what it's like to be there mentally, because I'm a never-believer, maybe you could shed some light on this. Because in most cases, like this, I really, honestly don't understand what is going on in others' heads when it come to religion.

When you were still in it, did you feel, deep down, like you were being dishonest by being so closed to new information? I do understand what you said here, that you could find a comfort in the reassurance that that outside stuff is bad, and not letting it in is good. But was there a part of you that, maybe even unconsciously, felt uncomfortable about doing so?

I realize that by some point in your life the answer would obviously be “yes” as you did eventually come out of it. But I mean, when you were still deep, deep in it? Does it seem to you that most people don't even have an inkling that they are being dishonest, or does it seem that they are so in a comfort zone that the dishonest nature of it doesn't even register even a little?

06-02-2014, 02:48 PM
(06-02-2014 02:28 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Does it seem to you that most people don't even have an inkling that they are being dishonest, or does it seem that they are so in a comfort zone that the dishonest nature of it doesn't even register even a little?

That one. Also a lot of people don't have time to understand logic and so forth - critical thinking is not a skill that is taught, regrettably. So the stuff the pastor or whoever says to them seems very logical. Christianity *is* constructed as a mind trap after all. If the only logic tools you have available to you to understand the world around you are the half-baked Christian ones, you might feel uncomfortable but you're more likely to attribute that to you being dumb, than to the tools being useless.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.