Apparently, Ken Ham enabled comments on his Youtube channel.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2014, 08:56 PM
RE: Apparently, Ken Ham enabled comments on his Youtube channel.
(06-02-2014 05:40 PM)Alexandro Wrote:  About the MRI inventor... so what? Newton was a believer too, but he wasn't satisfied with the "science" provided by the Bible. But he also believed in alchemy, and that's the confirmation that genius and dumbness aren't mutually exclusive. The only difference is that Newton lived 300 years ago.

Yah but Ham couldn't get Newton to make a snappy video for him. Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2014, 11:57 PM
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.

Big Grin Hehehehehe... Oh man, I'm tempted to steal this for my sig. Acceptable ?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-02-2014, 09:02 AM
(06-02-2014 03:11 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 02:48 PM)morondog Wrote:  That one. Also a lot of people don't have time to understand logic and so forth - critical thinking is not a skill that is taught, regrettably. So the stuff the pastor or whoever says to them seems very logical. Christianity *is* constructed as a mind trap after all. If the only logic tools you have available to you to understand the world around you are the half-baked Christian ones, you might feel uncomfortable but you're more likely to attribute that to you being dumb, than to the tools being useless.

So do they feel stupid?

Paul writes about this shit in the NT (1 Corintians 1:25). He goes into saying that God's foolishness is wiser than our wisdom and his weakness is stronger than our strength. It's hard-coded right in the Bible.

So, any time you, as a Christian, don't understand something, it's your fault and is due to your limitations. This is a lot of the basis of the whole "how can you understand the mind of God?" crap.

Basically, they feel "stupid" any time they try to make sense of this, and they feel "wise" any time they just blindly accept it and/or yell at any skeptics who dare to question The Almighty. It's circular and is the antithesis to critical thinking, but it does wonders on cognitive dissonance, so, there's that.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
07-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Random question based on the title of the thread. Has anybody left any funny comments on his videos yet. I was reading through the thread and it seems the original point may have been lost Wink
07-02-2014, 04:37 PM
(07-02-2014 09:02 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Paul writes about this shit in the NT (1 Corintians 1:25). He goes into saying that God's foolishness is wiser than our wisdom and his weakness is stronger than our strength. It's hard-coded right in the Bible.

So, any time you, as a Christian, don't understand something, it's your fault and is due to your limitations. This is a lot of the basis of the whole "how can you understand the mind of God?" crap.

Basically, they feel "stupid" any time they try to make sense of this, and they feel "wise" any time they just blindly accept it and/or yell at any skeptics who dare to question The Almighty. It's circular and is the antithesis to critical thinking, but it does wonders on cognitive dissonance, so, there's that.

This. So much this.

In my experience growing up in a conservative Christian household, this amounted to what I think was at a level of emotional abuse. It became a "something must be wrong with you" or "someone must be telling you this" because "you would never think this way" because they raised me in the church.

4.0 grade point average, yet left feeling incredibly stupid and unable to reply to parents because a) presumably I love them (questionable for me now) and b) don't break the honor thy father and thy mother commandment.

So yes, the cognitive dissonance was too great for me and here I am. lol
[+] 3 users Like Deerdra's post
07-02-2014, 08:30 PM
(06-02-2014 03:11 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I wish I could crawl inside their mind, just for a day, and have a look around. But then get the hell out of there as soon as possible.

I'd like to crawl inside their mind an poke it with a sharp stick.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
07-02-2014, 08:40 PM
(06-02-2014 11:57 PM)morondog Wrote:  

Big Grin Hehehehehe... Oh man, I'm tempted to steal this for my sig. Acceptable ?

Go for it if ya want. Big Grin

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

04-04-2014, 02:45 PM
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 03:34 PM)morondog Wrote:  On the Ken Ham / Bill Nye thing, a fundie Christian in the audience would likely be thinking of Bill Nye in an adversarial way, as in 'he's just out to make us look stupid'. So he won't really listen to what Bill says. On the other hand, when Ken Ham says his silly shit about 'it says in the Bible'... that does sound very logical.

We are taught in church to always cross check everything against the Bible. Honest ministers always mention that we should look up the exact verses they are quoting in their sermons, and read around them for the context etc. This is one of those half-baked logic tools Christians have... checking things against the Bible.

And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.

~~~Interesting. I suppose that is one way to get to the end of a series of propositions, slap yourself in the face. What was the conclusion you reached?
[+] 1 user Likes Deltabravo's post
31-08-2014, 06:04 AM
ham sandwich anyone ?
31-08-2014, 06:37 AM
[Image: rise_from_your_grave.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]