Apparently a useless college major...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Apparently a useless college major...
Latin is my major in college, and of course I hear many questions like "what will you do with Latin?" and "what is left to translate that hasn't been translated?"...

Well I can say now that my honors project involves translating a book that hasn't been translated yet into English and encoding it along with annotation. Awesome! Contributing to human knowledge as an undergrad! Big Grin

There's actually quite a lot that's in collections all over that hasn't been translated into English, perhaps into other languages, but if they are used to get English then it's two times removed from the Latin.

I'm excited for this year.

-summum ius, summa iniuria.-M. T. Cicero
-I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-T.S. Eliot
-
ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like il_bandit's post
17-08-2012, 02:42 PM
RE: Apparently a useless college major...
(17-08-2012 02:21 PM)il_bandit Wrote:  Latin is my major in college, and of course I hear many questions like "what will you do with Latin?" and "what is left to translate that hasn't been translated?"...

Well I can say now that my honors project involves translating a book that hasn't been translated yet into English and encoding it along with annotation. Awesome! Contributing to human knowledge as an undergrad! Big Grin

There's actually quite a lot that's in collections all over that hasn't been translated into English, perhaps into other languages, but if they are used to get English then it's two times removed from the Latin.

Congratulations on the un-translated book project. Worth noting (to future doubters) is that a knowledge of Latin is an immensely powerful tool for linguists. So many words have Latin & Greek roots, in several languages: the romantic languages (Italian & Spanish), English... and the native tongue of most of the countries that the Romans conquered.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-08-2012, 02:56 PM
(17-08-2012 02:21 PM)il_bandit Wrote:  Latin is my major in college, and of course I hear many questions like "what will you do with Latin?" and "what is left to translate that hasn't been translated?"...

I am jealous. I wish I had time. I love Latin. I took it in high school, and part of a Summer Session. and one of my dad's friends is a Professor of Classics. And it's hardly useless. So many things to do with it, especially if you supplement it with a few things. Latin is the most beautiful language, (due to all the vowels), and if you know Latin, French, and Italian are a breeze. I prefer the church pronunciation, as the "original" sounds really strange to my ears. What are you translating ?

I was at this exhibit once of some Medieval manuscripts, (from the Hill museum), and there was a little crowd in front of these old antiphoners, opened to a certain page. Actually the clue was the "Whitsunday", but they were saying "I wonder what it says ?". So being the insufferable know-it-all that I am, I said. "oh, that's the sequence from Pentecost, (Veni Sancte Spiritus), and they looked at me like W.T.F. ?! I asked them if they wanted me to sing it for them ? Hahaha.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-08-2012, 03:49 PM
I will not use a church pronounciation, it reminds me too much of Italian, and the Church. I like to keep Italian seperate.

We're translating vibius sequester.

-

17-08-2012, 03:54 PM
I took two years of Latin and am glad I did. It has helped in reading, writing, history, philosophy, science, crossword puzzles, and Scrabble. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-08-2012, 04:02 PM
(17-08-2012 02:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So being the insufferable know-it-all that I am, I said. "oh, that's the sequence from Pentecost, (Veni Sancte Spiritus), and they looked at me like W.T.F. ?! I asked them if they wanted me to sing it for them ? Hahaha.

Ha - you are such a ruthless little smarty pants. Heart That's why we adore you so.
_____

Congrats on the translation project il_bandit. You're heading into an exciting year!! Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
17-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Wow that sounds exciting Smile
17-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Gratias Vobis Ago, Amici!

-

17-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Translating from Latin to English?!?!

Sounds like heresy to me.

17-08-2012, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2012 07:17 PM by GirlyMan.)
Ain't useless, just ain't profitable. I was a Philosophy major when I first entered University. I really dig metaphysics and epistemology. Then my wife got pregnant in my Junior year. I switched to CompSci 'cause nobody's gonna pay me enough for my metaphysical positions to feed that baby. They pay me handsomely to write their apps though.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post