Apparently a useless college major...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2012, 08:12 PM
RE: Apparently a useless college major...
(17-08-2012 07:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Ain't useless, just ain't profitable. I was a Philosophy major when I first entered University. I really dig metaphysics and epistemology. Then my wife got pregnant in my Junior year. I switched to CompSci 'cause nobody's gonna pay me enough for my metaphysical positions to feed that baby. They pay me handsomely to write their apps though.

No wonder we get along so well. My undergrad is Maths & Philosophy, my master's in CompSci.Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2012, 08:28 PM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2012 08:38 PM by GirlyMan.)
(17-08-2012 08:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-08-2012 07:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Ain't useless, just ain't profitable. I was a Philosophy major when I first entered University. I really dig metaphysics and epistemology. Then my wife got pregnant in my Junior year. I switched to CompSci 'cause nobody's gonna pay me enough for my metaphysical positions to feed that baby. They pay me handsomely to write their apps though.

No wonder we get along so well. My undergrad is Maths & Philosophy, my master's in CompSci.Thumbsup

Ain't you like filing patents and starting IT businesses and shit? Girly's got skills. I got two strong arms, I can help. Let me help. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
17-08-2012, 09:02 PM
(17-08-2012 08:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-08-2012 08:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  No wonder we get along so well. My undergrad is Maths & Philosophy, my master's in CompSci.Thumbsup

Ain't you like filing patents and starting IT businesses and shit? Girly's got skills. I got two strong arms, I can help. Let me help. Wink

C#, .NET, WPF, Win32, file systems?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-08-2012, 09:08 PM
(17-08-2012 09:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-08-2012 08:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Ain't you like filing patents and starting IT businesses and shit? Girly's got skills. I got two strong arms, I can help. Let me help. Wink

Hey, Bandit. Translate those into Latin. That'd be useful.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
17-08-2012, 09:15 PM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2012 09:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
(17-08-2012 09:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-08-2012 08:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Ain't you like filing patents and starting IT businesses and shit? Girly's got skills. I got two strong arms, I can help. Let me help. Wink

Yup. C# with WPF is my development environment of choice. Don't always get my way. Shit happens.

18-08-2012, 03:49 AM

That's kinda the opposite of me. I spent 16 years working in IT (and it wasn't called IT when I started, that's how long I've been doing it). And now, I'm doing a philosophy masters. Screw the metaphysics, though... science can answer some of those questions better than philosophy can. Ethics all the way Smile
18-08-2012, 11:37 AM
I actually do enjoy computer work. All the work we do with this translation will be digitized by us, so it will build more experience up with XML.

-summum ius, summa iniuria.-M. T. Cicero
-I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-T.S. Eliot
-
ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα

18-08-2012, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2012 06:11 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-08-2012 03:49 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  Screw the metaphysics, though... science can answer some of those questions better than philosophy can. Ethics all the way Smile

Ethics feels like a secondary consideration to me. Existence feels like the primary consideration.

My employer pressures me to go back and get my PhD so they can improve their educational profile metrics. I tell them "Okay, but realize that I'm gonna get it in metaphysics not comp sci." They shut up. ... And then they pressure me again.

18-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Apparently a useless college major...
(17-08-2012 06:55 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Translating from Latin to English?!?!

Sounds like heresy to me.

Aren't you supposed to say it sounds Greek to you?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
20-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Greek is actually a fun language as well. It's a great way to get people to really think about the way they read certain (cough cough) scriptures (cough) that are translated from Koine, where they then lose some of the special connotation in the Greek words. A whole mood for a word that can't be expressed in English without altering the style of the writing.

-summum ius, summa iniuria.-M. T. Cicero
-I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-T.S. Eliot
-
ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα