Appeasing Religious Parents

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2016, 01:57 AM
(First off it's kind of important to mention that I'm still a teen living with my parents)

So my mom just had a talk with me about being open-minded and seeking the truth, which sounds like a good thing except her definition of being open-minded is accepting that the weather being nice for an important event is a miracle and seeking the truth is praying. The thing is that I want to make her happy, but I don't really care about figuring out if Christianity is true anymore. I hate to fit into the stereotype, but part of me doesn't WANT to know. I mean, if the Bible is 100% true, then I couldn't honestly worship god even if I wanted to, and knowing (or at least believing) that such a god exists would be terrifying without ignoring all the horrible stuff throughout the Bible.

I obviously didn't tell her any of that, but I feel like I should do something to appease her. Maybe reading the Bible all the way through? I am still somewhat curious about what it says as a whole. (If that makes any sense) Although the downside to that, and really anything I do now that I think about it, is that she'll be very upset if/when my efforts don't "turn me Christian".

Just wanted to get this off my chest.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dustyrose's post
04-12-2016, 05:53 AM
RE: Appeasing Religious Parents
Read the bible together, a bit at a time, with your mom. Ask her questions about it constantly.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
04-12-2016, 06:30 AM
Unfortunately, religious parents are encouraged by their awful book to be mean to their children for their own children's "good," if they suspect you're not in lockstep with their ideas. They think they're saving your eternal soul, not brainwashing you into believing in a death cult, but it is truly pointless for you to try to argue them out of their beliefs. Do what you have to in order to survive and get out of their house at a time when you can support yourself. In the meantime, think what you want, and get support here.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
04-12-2016, 07:22 AM
If you decide to read the Bible, I would ask your mom for a Bible commentary book to go along with it. Then, if she is willing to let you purchase them, get the IVP Bible Commentary for the OT and the NT. From what I remember, at least one of the authors is Christian, so your mom may feel more comfortable with these books. These two books are written by scholars and they present the facts as the facts. It might be eye opening for your mom as well when she finds out where her religion came from and why people believe as they do.
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
04-12-2016, 08:37 AM
(04-12-2016 07:22 AM)jennybee Wrote:  If you decide to read the Bible, I would ask your mom for a Bible commentary book to go along with it. Then, if she is willing to let you purchase them, get the IVP Bible Commentary for the OT and the NT. From what I remember, at least one of the authors is Christian, so your mom may feel more comfortable with these books. These two books are written by scholars and they present the facts as the facts. It might be eye opening for your mom as well when she finds out where her religion came from and why people believe as they do.

I wholly back this.

It's often joked that the best inoculation against Christianity is actually understanding the Bible. (Or just reading it, we often say.)

Much of what Christians today think is in the Bible is not, or is only substantiated by looking at fragments of a few verses out of context, coupled with a great amount of cultural layering stolen from pagan religions that Christianity supplanted over the centuries.

I would invite your mom to study the Bible with you every night, using scholarly (not evangelical/apologetic) study guides -- take her advice on being open minded and truly seeking. Point out to her the things you find objectionable, and see if the answers the apologists give are suitable to your sense of morality (here's a hint: most of them will either justify horrible things by saying it's okay for God to do that, in which case I share your opinion of their God, or they'll try to pretend that what it says is not what it reeeaaallly says). I definitely agree with you that God as presented in the Bible is unworthy of worship, even if demonstrably real; for me, the biggest hang-up is that it openly advocates for race-based, permanent, heritable slavery for non-Israelites.

It's important that your mom not see you as antagonistic to what she cherishes, but that you are deeply concerned about knowing the truth even if it challenges what you think you already know, and that you want the same for her.

But most importantly of all, a scholarly approach to understanding the religion is critical, whether or not you remain a Christian. I suspect that if you both are open minded and do your diligence, you will both find that Christianity is 1) nothing like you thought it was, and 2) unsupportable in the light of other things humans have learned about the universe/world since the Bronze Age tribal goatherders in the Middle East came up with most of what's in there.

We have a lot of knowledge here, and not all of us are atheists, so if you have any questions you're more than welcome to ask.

You're a brave kid. Much respect.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
04-12-2016, 05:32 PM
Start reading the Qu'ran. Evil_monster

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
04-12-2016, 08:59 PM
Totally back what jennybee said. I think it's great for any atheist to read the bible. Know your enemy and all. It may or may not be eye opening for your mom to study along with you but it can't hurt, and showing her that you're putting in an honest effort might help her see your decision is earnest and well-informed when you're ready to have the talk with her about exactly how you feel. Ask tons of questions - that's the best way to get someone to really evaluate things they've accepted without too much thought. And lastly, try not to push her buttons too much while you're still under her roof. I had a hard time with this one myself and was kicked out at some point, like so many others I know. At the very least it can make the remaining time living together very awkward and uncomfortable for you.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
05-12-2016, 04:06 AM
I struggled—literally—to read the Abrahamic bible (KJV) many decades ago. From memory it took me around 18 months to plod through it comprehensively, so don't expect to read it all in a couple of weeks.

I'd suggest your mum also buy you a concordance—such as Young's Analytical Concordance to the Bible.

Unfortunately (LOL) it's important for all atheists to have read the bible to ensure not misinterpreting different passages in isolation, and to find all its inconsistencies and self-contradictions—which is where the concordance can be a help as a "memory jogger". Young's also transliterates the Greek and Hebrew words into English, which helps clarify subtle differences such as "pain" v. "sickness".

—Good luck.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
05-12-2016, 05:52 AM
(05-12-2016 04:06 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I struggled—literally—to read the Abrahamic bible (KJV) many decades ago. From memory it took me around 18 months to plod through it comprehensively, so don't expect to read it all in a couple of weeks.

I'd suggest your mum also buy you a concordance—such as Young's Analytical Concordance to the Bible.

Unfortunately (LOL) it's important for all atheists to have read the bible to ensure not misinterpreting different passages in isolation, and to find all its inconsistencies and self-contradictions—which is where the concordance can be a help as a "memory jogger". Young's also transliterates the Greek and Hebrew words into English, which helps clarify subtle differences such as "pain" v. "sickness".

—Good luck.

Fuck that. I'm an atheist and have no desire to read that entire thing. It doesn't take extensive reading to realize that it's nonsense. Personally, I think life is too short and I have better things to do.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
05-12-2016, 07:49 AM
@SYZ

I think that you're ascribing too much importance to this badly written book of fables. Sure Bible is basis of christianity but how many believers really care about what is written in it? Your knowledge of it probably won't impress them as they know better what sky daddy want and you being heathen are taking things out of context by default.

It's to boring to waste time reading it. There are multitude of better books; I don't think that Bible contain any insight that atheist truly need.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.