Appeasing Religious Parents

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2016, 07:54 AM
RE: Appeasing Religious Parents
(05-12-2016 07:49 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  @SYZ

I think that you're ascribing too much importance to this badly written book of fables. Sure Bible is basis of christianity but how many believers really care about what is written in it? Your knowledge of it probably won't impress them as they know better what sky daddy want and you being heathen are taking things out of context by default.

It's to boring to waste time reading it. There are multitude of better books; I don't think that Bible contain any insight that atheist truly need.

Green Eggs and Ham had more of an impact on my life than what i've read of the bible. I mean come on... the very idea of green eggs and ham is absurdly awesome!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
05-12-2016, 09:28 AM
It's self defense. It's less important for regular-ol' atheists to read the Bible than it is for those of us who grew up in and/or are surrounded by an oppressive cultural mindset of Christians, who will take it upon themselves to endlessly barrage you with concepts and even verses from the Bible.

It's like knowing karate if you live in a US urban core, where you're likely to be beat up just walking down the street... hard to explain to a person in, say, Iceland, where they have a fairly peaceful existence, why you would waste all that time learning to punch and grapple.

As for me, I think it's important that atheists (at least many of us) learn this stuff so we can counter the bald assertions of the evangelicals who seek to infect everyone with their anti-science, misogynistic anti-intellectualism.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
05-12-2016, 09:33 AM
(04-12-2016 01:57 AM)dustyrose Wrote:  (First off it's kind of important to mention that I'm still a teen living with my parents)

So my mom just had a talk with me about being open-minded and seeking the truth, which sounds like a good thing except her definition of being open-minded is accepting that the weather being nice for an important event is a miracle and seeking the truth is praying. The thing is that I want to make her happy, but I don't really care about figuring out if Christianity is true anymore. I hate to fit into the stereotype, but part of me doesn't WANT to know. I mean, if the Bible is 100% true, then I couldn't honestly worship god even if I wanted to, and knowing (or at least believing) that such a god exists would be terrifying without ignoring all the horrible stuff throughout the Bible.

I obviously didn't tell her any of that, but I feel like I should do something to appease her. Maybe reading the Bible all the way through? I am still somewhat curious about what it says as a whole. (If that makes any sense) Although the downside to that, and really anything I do now that I think about it, is that she'll be very upset if/when my efforts don't "turn me Christian".

Just wanted to get this off my chest.

Tough spot. Your mother is basically asking you to engage in confirmation bias. "If you assume you are correct in your interpretation, then you will believe you are correct as you justify re-interpreting things around you to fit your conclusion."

It sounds like a lot of what you can and should do will depend on your mother's general attitude.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
05-12-2016, 09:56 AM
(05-12-2016 09:28 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  It's self defense. It's less important for regular-ol' atheists to read the Bible than it is for those of us who grew up in and/or are surrounded by an oppressive cultural mindset of Christians, who will take it upon themselves to endlessly barrage you with concepts and even verses from the Bible.

It's like knowing karate if you live in a US urban core, where you're likely to be beat up just walking down the street... hard to explain to a person in, say, Iceland, where they have a fairly peaceful existence, why you would waste all that time learning to punch and grapple.

As for me, I think it's important that atheists (at least many of us) learn this stuff so we can counter the bald assertions of the evangelicals who seek to infect everyone with their anti-science, misogynistic anti-intellectualism.

I've found that no amount of logic or reason will work against theists. It's similar to trying to explain to an alcoholic why they're acting like asshole.
[+] 3 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
13-12-2016, 01:39 AM
Sorry for taking so long to respond, this month has been exceptionally busy.
I'd like to read through the Bible with my mom, but I really don't think it'd go well. She'd probably just get upset at me or say that I'm "not interpreting it right". My grandpa (moms side) has said he believes you need the holy spirit to really understand the Bible. (Nevermind the fact that he's admitted he's never read it completely through) And I suspect she'd be the same.
I am still interested in reading it by myself though. Also, we have a subscription to GreatCourses and I was thinking of watching one on the formation of Christianity as well. Any recommendations on that?
Thanks for the support!
16-12-2016, 11:33 AM
Bart Ehrman has some great stuff on Great Courses plus - the history of christianity, the historicity of Jesus, and lots of stuff about the authenticity of scripture. I would start with him and go from there - good luck!

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
- Terry Pratchett
17-12-2016, 04:52 PM
(16-12-2016 11:33 AM)ZaftigMama Wrote:  Bart Ehrman has some great stuff on Great Courses plus - the history of christianity, the historicity of Jesus, and lots of stuff about the authenticity of scripture. I would start with him and go from there - good luck!

I'll check those out, thanks!