Applause at live shows

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2015, 05:05 AM
Applause at live shows
What's the deal with people clapping when the singing starts?

A few bars of the music plays, and its obvious what the song is.. But people hold off the applause until the singing starts... What's up with that??
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2015, 06:53 AM
RE: Applause at live shows
(08-06-2015 05:05 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  What's the deal with people clapping when the singing starts?

A few bars of the music plays, and its obvious what the song is.. But people hold off the applause until the singing starts... What's up with that??

I dunno. I could see myself applauding for John Mayer if I ever got to see him live.

For some reason your rant reminded me of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE standup show where Dana Carvey makes fun of stupid things that rock stars do:

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
08-06-2015, 07:59 AM
I just saw another example now. Was a live version of Hotel California. The start of the song is instantly recognisable so there were a few cheers but as soon as Don Henley sang then there was a louder cheer. This wasn't the first song of the performance either so it made no sense to me.
08-06-2015, 09:41 AM
As someone who's gigged plenty over the years, I prefer it to be held until the song's over, anyway.
08-06-2015, 09:53 AM
(08-06-2015 09:41 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  As someone who's gigged plenty over the years, I prefer it to be held until the song's over, anyway.

I agree...also here's what I've noticed from a vast array of concert goer age ranges:

Young kids, especially girls often scream and clap when there's a lyrical break in the song, i.e. between chorus and verse or when there's a hook or even at a solo.

Older generation (especially true in the jazz arena) will clap after an extended solo. However, this is usually in smaller to mid sized venues. In a hall or arena most are silent until the end of the song. Consider

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
08-06-2015, 10:59 AM
True enough -- I'll cheer a good solo at its completion, if it moves me.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
15-06-2015, 01:30 PM
People have a tendency to cheer or applaud a song they like when they recognize that that song is being played. For some, the recognition may not take place until the singing starts.

People cheering/applauding at the end of a solo during a jazz number is one of my pet peeves. I realize the impulse to acknowledge that a good solo has been played, but then I miss the beginning of the next solo because the applause drowns it out. I always wait until the song ends before applauding, and wish others would do the same.

Sometimes applause can drown out an entire performance. I went to a concert once by Trey Anastasio (lead guitarist and singer for Phish), and he did a solo acoustic segment in the middle of the show. Of course everybody went nuts as soon as they recognized a song -- but then they kept going nuts for the duration of the song. I couldn't hear a damn thing he was playing or singing because the crowd was making so much noise. It was like a 1960s Beatles concert -- incredibly annoying if you're there to, you know, hear the music.
15-06-2015, 01:52 PM
(08-06-2015 07:59 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  I just saw another example now. Was a live version of Hotel California. The start of the song is instantly recognisable so there were a few cheers but as soon as Don Henley sang then there was a louder cheer. This wasn't the first song of the performance either so it made no sense to me.

Sometimes and the Eagles were one these, they'd do teasers...they'd start to play something like Hotel Califorinia or the first bars of Take it Easy and go into another completely different song.

I think they did this for their own amusement to keep things lively.

Other bands, like The Grateful Dead, when they played the first part of Terapin Station (Lady with a Fan) but usually that was it. But if they continued the fans would erupt, knowing they were actually playing the whole song.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces