Apple season

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Apple season
I love apples, so this time of year is great for me. All the apple varieties available are almost sensory overload for me.

So I'm just curious....what is your favorite apple, and what do you like to do most with it?

My favorite eating apple is a new one this year. The Honey Crisp is just freakin amazing. Crispy, juicy, sweet, and huge! I still love galas, but the Honey Crisp has a short season, so I'll be eating mostly those out of hand for the next couple weeks.

For baking, I'm still going with my old standby, Macintosh. I like my apples to be very soft when they are cooked, so the Macintosh fits the bill perfectly. Plus they are great for adding moisture to baking so you can reduce the amount of butter or oil in your recipes a bit. (ie, use a third less butter in any kind of loaf like banana bread, and add a grated apple instead.)

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
07-11-2012, 02:37 PM
RE: Apple season
Golden Delicious are my favourite. I HATE Pink Lady and I'm not a fan or green apples. I don't mind Macintosh.

I mostly eat them in the raw, cut up. I throw them into leafy salads quite a bit. Once in awhile I'll bake them with a small amount of brown sugar and cinnamon.
07-11-2012, 02:44 PM
I am a fan of Granny Smith Apples. I love the sour bite to them, I like other apples too as long as they are crisp, can't stand to bite into a soft apple...BLECH.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
07-11-2012, 02:44 PM
The ones I like the most (though my sister is the big apple-eater in the family) are the ones from the tree just outside my window; it's a very old sort, whose name I do not know, but it's juicy and not too sweet and I love the tree (yep, I'm weird this way - I love trees).
I love how every other year it bears too much fruit, so that its branches are weighed down and almost touch the ground. I love the blackbirds fighting for apples (after picking clean the pear-tree next to it), I love the woodpeckers that come looking for insects around this time of the year and most of all I love the hedgehogs that come at night, shuffling and wheezing like old people, to eat the fallen apples (and pears). Oh, and I love its blossoms in the spring - white inside and pink on the outside.
Did I mention I love trees...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
07-11-2012, 03:16 PM
(07-11-2012 02:44 PM)Vera Wrote:  The ones I like the most (though my sister is the big apple-eater in the family) are the ones from the tree just outside my window; it's a very old sort, whose name I do not know, but it's juicy and not too sweet and I love the tree (yep, I'm weird this way - I love trees).
I love how every other year it bears too much fruit, so that its branches are weighed down and almost touch the ground. I love the blackbirds fighting for apples (after picking clean the pear-tree next to it), I love the woodpeckers that come looking for insects around this time of the year and most of all I love the hedgehogs that come at night, shuffling and wheezing like old people, to eat the fallen apples (and pears). Oh, and I love its blossoms in the spring - white inside and pink on the outside.
Did I mention I love trees...

Did you ever see a hedgehog transport an apple?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-11-2012, 03:43 PM
(07-11-2012 03:16 PM)Dom Wrote:  Did you ever see a hedgehog transport an apple

No, not with my own eyes. I've seen them eating under the trees though. They are very shy animals, plus, they are nocturnal, so it's difficult to catch them in the act, so to speak (and I don't want to frighten them while they're eating, that's just rudeWink).

But there used to be one who would come and drink my dog's milk... the dog would bark and bark, but couldn't really do anythingSmile
And they make the cutest noises, I just love hearing them at night,

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
07-11-2012, 03:56 PM
[Image: pinklady.jpg]Pink Lady!

PS - hold your tounge and say apple.. haha yes I'm an idiot.. Smile

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
[+] 1 user Likes k37713's post
07-11-2012, 06:17 PM
(07-11-2012 03:43 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(07-11-2012 03:16 PM)Dom Wrote:  Did you ever see a hedgehog transport an apple

No, not with my own eyes. I've seen them eating under the trees though. They are very shy animals, plus, they are nocturnal, so it's difficult to catch them in the act, so to speak (and I don't want to frighten them while they're eating, that's just rudeWink).

But there used to be one who would come and drink my dog's milk... the dog would bark and bark, but couldn't really do anythingSmile
And they make the cutest noises, I just love hearing them at night,

I watched one and it was hilarious! He leaned up against the apple with his back until the apple was pierced and stuck. Then he got back down and simply walked off with the apple on his back. We used to put milk and/or raw eggs out for them. They can get rather unafraid if you feed them, and they are great in the garden, eating bugs and stuff.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-11-2012, 07:34 PM
There's this apple called a Grapple. They say it tastes like a grape.

Someone please try it and tell me how accurate that description is.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
07-11-2012, 07:42 PM
I have Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Macintosh, Cortland, and Fuji trees.

I hate Red Delicious - those trees don't have long to live.
I will probably get rid of most of the Golden Delicious, as well.
I'd like to add a few modern varieties of the various Fuji types.

Macs are one the best all-purpose apples, Cortlands for eating and cider.
The best cider in the world is half Mac, half Cortland.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user