Appliances You Can Live Without

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2016, 03:13 PM
RE: Appliances You Can Live Without
(15-12-2016 02:31 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Good gawd people. How do you survive without a refrigerator? Some of you must not have kids.

At this time in Michigan you can just throw shit outside to keep it cool. Was -8F with wind chill this morning.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like JDog554's post
15-12-2016, 04:41 PM
(15-12-2016 01:45 PM)pablo Wrote:  Microwave oven, toaster oven, toaster, dishwasher. TV, coffee maker

Oh, yeah, TV. I don't watch TV that much so I guess I could do without that, too. ^^
[+] 1 user Likes AnaBunny's post
15-12-2016, 06:59 PM
"Can" is a very open ended term. If it were up to me, I'd send the entire world back to pre stone age and make it my new life goal to somehow sabotage the path to agriculture.

But... Since that's not an option, I want (not need) every time saving convenience I can get my hands on.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
15-12-2016, 09:28 PM
I might be able to do without the cappuccino machine, but I doubt it. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
16-12-2016, 04:51 AM
All I need is my DILAPIDATED BOAT

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
16-12-2016, 12:13 PM
I've never even seen an electric can opener...and I am the dish washer. Tongue
The microwave comes in handy and a fridge is a must.....keeps those beers nice and cool.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
16-12-2016, 12:19 PM
I have a blender that hasn't been used in over ten years. I also have two food processors that haven't been touched in about that long. I suppose I could get rid of them.

I don't use a hair dryer.

The electric can opener gets a lot of use. Not parting with the fridge, stove, microwave, dishwasher...or the washer and dryer. When I sew I have to have an iron.

And by god, don't try taking away the water heater. Angry

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-12-2016, 12:43 PM
(16-12-2016 12:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have a blender that hasn't been used in over ten years. I also have two food processors that haven't been touched in about that long. I suppose I could get rid of them.

The electric can opener gets a lot of use. Not parting with the fridge, stove, microwave, dishwasher...or the washer and dryer. When I sew I have to have an iron.

When I was a kid (most of you know this already) we lived in a cabin in the woods with no indoor bathroom. We had an outhouse. We were a family of 6 living in a two rooms and the winters were brutal. My poor mother had to scrub all the clothes and wash them in the sink then wring them out and hang them around the cabin to dry during the winter. When we kids had to take a bath (once a week, sometimes two) my mother had to boil a huge pots of water and pour them into a horse trough then mix it with cool water so it didn't scald us.

That poor woman. She never sat down. She never had time to read books or do the things she really wanted to do like paint and write poetry or simply just THINK. She finally put her foot down with my dad and his backwoods crap and demanded that we move out of that clap-trap cabin. She threatened to leave and let HIM wash the damned laundry by hand. He was a nice guy but sometimes clueless.

When we moved from the cabin in Tahoe to Northern California and lived in a regular house (sort of) with an indoor bathroom and a washing machine (it was an old piece of shit from the 1940"s) she never wanted to go back to a no appliance world. It was pure drudgery for her. I think people forget how much work women had to do without appliances. It really was true that "women's work was never done". It was simply endless.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
16-12-2016, 12:49 PM
(15-12-2016 02:33 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Most of 'em. Much shorter list to lay out those I can't live without: coffee maker, refrigerator, blender, and toaster, in that order.

I like the mike as well. Need to nuke some things now and then.
16-12-2016, 12:50 PM
(16-12-2016 12:43 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 12:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have a blender that hasn't been used in over ten years. I also have two food processors that haven't been touched in about that long. I suppose I could get rid of them.

When I was a kid (most of you know this already) we lived in a cabin in the woods with no indoor bathroom. We had an outhouse. We were a family of 6 living in a two rooms and the winters were brutal. My poor mother had to scrub all the clothes and wash them in the sink then wring them out and hang them around the cabin to dry during the winter. When we kids had to take a bath (once a week, sometimes two) my mother had to boil a huge pots of water and pour them into a horse trough then mix it with cool water so it didn't scald us.

That poor woman. She never sat down. She never had time to read books or do the things she really wanted to do like paint and write poetry or simply just THINK. She finally put her foot down with my dad and his backwoods crap and demanded that we move out of that clap-trap cabin. She threatened to leave and let HIM wash the damned laundry by hand. He was a nice guy but sometimes clueless.

When we moved from the cabin in Tahoe to Northern California and lived in a regular house (sort of) with an indoor bathroom and a washing machine (it was an old piece of shit from the 1940"s) she never wanted to go back to a no appliance world. It was pure drudgery for her. I think people forget how much work women had to do without appliances. It really was true that "women's work was never done". It was simply endless.

I can remember taking baths in a tub (actually more of a bucket) at my maternal grandmother's house. Since two of my aunts and one uncle are very close to my age we were lined up and bathed in that tub in the kitchen...same thing heating the water and then cooling it so as not to parboil us. They had running water but you couldn't drink it as it was rain water caught in a cistern and plumbed into the house...sort of. That's how I know I am highly allergic to Typhoid shots as I was given one before a visit at age 2 and nearly died...always raises eyebrows with medical personnel when I list that as an allergy. Tongue

My other grandmother had a wringer washer in the cellar that I ended up with in my early 20s. There's nothing quite so fun as being up to your armpits in water and wet clothes in an unheated cellar in the middle of winter in Iowa. At least there was a functional water heater.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post