Appreciating religious works of art

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2012, 02:12 PM
RE: Appreciating religious works of art
Why can't art, even religious art, just be appreciated for the amazing techniques used and the fact that paints from centuries ago still hold up? Brush techniques, the capturing of light and shadow, etc. Must everything be examined in an attempt to find some nefarious reason behind its existenece?

Art and music really shouldn't have to be explained. What's beautiful and touching to some may seem garish and unappealing to others.

Damn, this is the type of stuff that earns the label of Angry Atheist.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
03-10-2012, 02:41 PM
When I look at art, where it came from, who made it, why it was made, and so on, enter into my appreciation of it.

When I look at religious art, I am aware of the religious motivation behind it. Sometimes that motivation is from the artist, but sometimes the artist is producing under contract. This alters my view of the art - not for better or worse, just different.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-10-2012, 11:12 AM
(30-09-2012 07:08 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Art is not the sole property of religion. It belongs to humanity, and if nothing else, demonstrates its forward march, to something else. We are what we are. We wouldn't be what we are without our past. No reason to deny it. Does he not approve of statues of Zeus, and Apollo, and Greek antiquities ?

This. The first time I went to college, it was for fine arts. I spent a LOT of time in art history classes looking at religious art. It's pretty dumb to say atheists can't appreciate it. I have yet to meet a Christian in an art history class that bodily turns away from the screen when they show a painting of Zeus or something.

Additionally, when you consider the time period some of these artists painted in, religion WAS the acceptable subject matter. You couldn't exactly be an out-and-proud atheist in their day without getting yourself killed. Of COURSE they painted religious stuff. Churches were some of the biggest patrons of the arts, since they had all the money and power, they could commission the best artists to decorate their buildings. The result is that there is a lot of great religious art. You don't have to believe in Jesus to appreciate a painting of him, just like you don't have to appreciate any Roman gods to appreciate art of them.

I've heard the same argument for music, though; a lot of the classical composers that had religious themes. Does that mean I can't listen to them? of course not.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
06-10-2012, 06:37 PM
I see no problem with old religious art. I mean, who doesn't appreciate nudity now an then?
Find all posts by this user