Arabian students lose their minds at learning about evolution for the first time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2016, 03:40 AM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2016 03:45 AM by Krypttonigt.)
Arabian students lose their minds at learning about evolution for the first time
First, a quick bit of background. I teach English as a Foreign Language at a school in South Africa which is attended by dozens of students from around the globe, including countries such as Brazil, Germany, Saudi Arabia and Angola to name just a few.

In my one class I teach a group mainly consisting of Muslims from Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Iran, ages 20-25. If you're not aware of it already, people from those countries lead lives that are intellectually cut-off from the rest of the world: for example schools/society don't teach them basic things like World War II, Nelson Mandela, the Holocaust etc. Instead they focus mainly on teaching Arab/Islamic propaganda/revisionism and hammering in the idea that THE QURAN IS THE BE-ALL AND END-ALL OF EVERYTHING Facepalm
(Now I'm not saying that they're bad PEOPLE, some of the nicest guys I've met come from these places, but their governments are most definitely screwed up)

I probably shouldn't have been surprised, knowing all this, but last week Thursday one of the Brazilians in my class brought up evolution and I had to explain what it is...what followed was a level of shock, disbelief and total outrage that even I wasn't prepared for Ohmy

Dealing with that bunch and trying to educate them on a biological fact as totally basic and fundamental as evolution of the species was eye-opening to say the least. Even showing evidence (via my smartboard) was met with scorn, silly accusations of 'it's just your OPINION' and flat-out denial. All while getting very worked up that facts contradict their 'all-powerful, all-knowing' Quran The Titanic

In the end one or two of them conceded that evolution could be a thing, but ONLY the Quranic version of 'evolution' which says that thousands of years ago humans were gigantically tall, had a lifespan of centuries and gradually shrunk down until the size we are today....Banana_zorro Facepalm

Later that night I skimming some Youtube videos and found this brilliant Dawkins clip that sums up my feelings of this whole event perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0sszxXlzlY

**No gods, only humanity. There's only ever been us.**
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Krypttonigt's post
27-03-2016, 03:51 AM
RE: Arabian students lose their minds at learning about evolution for the first time
(27-03-2016 03:40 AM)Krypttonigt Wrote:  First, a quick bit of background. I teach English as a Foreign Language at a school in South Africa which is attended by dozens of students from around the globe, including countries such as Brazil, Germany, Saudi Arabia and Angola to name just a few.

In my one class I teach a group mainly consisting of Muslims from Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Iran, ages 20-25. If you're not aware of it already, people from those countries lead lives that are intellectually cut-off from the rest of the world: for example schools/society don't teach them basic things like World War II, Nelson Mandela, the Holocaust etc. Instead they focus mainly on teaching Arab/Islamic propaganda/revisionism and hammering in the idea that THE QURAN IS THE BE-ALL AND END-ALL OF EVERYTHING Facepalm
(Now I'm not saying that they're bad PEOPLE, some of the nicest guys I've met come from these places, but their governments are most definitely screwed up)

I probably shouldn't have been surprised, knowing all this, but last week Thursday one of the Brazilians in my class brought up evolution and I had to explain what it is...what followed was a level of shock, disbelief and total outrage that even I wasn't prepared for Ohmy

Dealing with that bunch and trying to educate them on a biological fact as totally basic and fundamental as evolution of the species was eye-opening to say the least. Even showing evidence (via my smartboard) was met with scorn, silly accusations of 'it's just your OPINION' and flat-out denial. All while getting very worked up that facts contradict their 'all-powerful, all-knowing' Quran The Titanic

In the end one or two of them conceded that evolution could be a thing, but ONLY the Quranic version of 'evolution' which says that thousands of years ago humans were gigantically tall, had a lifespan of centuries and gradually shrunk down until the size we are today....Banana_zorro Facepalm

Later that night I skimming some Youtube videos and found this brilliant Dawkins clip that sums up my feelings of this whole event perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0sszxXlzlY

That video is blocked in the UK.

Here's a link which does work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtMEg4vZLY0

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 3 users Like god has no twitter account's post
27-03-2016, 04:01 AM
RE: Arabian students lose their minds at learning about evolution for the first time
Why is this in the Help section???

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
27-03-2016, 11:33 AM
(27-03-2016 04:01 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Why is this in the Help section???

Probably error. Thread moved.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-03-2016, 01:10 PM
(27-03-2016 11:33 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(27-03-2016 04:01 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Why is this in the Help section???

Probably error. Thread moved.

Thanks, it was those pesky internet gremlins Thumbsup

**No gods, only humanity. There's only ever been us.**
[+] 2 users Like Krypttonigt's post
27-03-2016, 02:37 PM
Channel 4 can suck my balls...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-03-2016, 02:43 PM
Hey, maybe some of those guys learned something new apart from the language lesson this time Smile Nice going.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
27-03-2016, 02:50 PM
That Ahmed Clock Boy shit pisses me right off. The deception is just so blatantly obvious...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
27-03-2016, 03:14 PM
I'm surprised they didn't cave your head in for spreading such heresy. Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
27-03-2016, 04:45 PM
No matter how much they objected, they now have a seed planted in their brain....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post