Arabian students lose their minds at learning about evolution for the first time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2016, 05:10 PM
RE: Arabian students lose their minds at learning about evolution for the first time
Now that they know about the concept of evolution, they're going to have a hard time making it just go away. They may speak about it among themselves, or Google it, or argue with non-Arabian students about it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
27-03-2016, 05:13 PM
RE: Arabian students lose their minds at learning about evolution for the first time
And you survived this experience?
Find all posts by this user
27-03-2016, 05:34 PM
(27-03-2016 03:14 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I'm surprised they didn't cave your head in for spreading such heresy. Consider

I won't lie, I was worried for a second or two there. After that I have a new-found sympathy for Darwin and other scientists who faced serious wrath for daring to reveal the actual truth of the world to a group of superstitious types who didn't like having their nice little bubbles burst.

**No gods, only humanity. There's only ever been us.**
[+] 2 users Like Krypttonigt's post
27-03-2016, 05:51 PM
(27-03-2016 05:10 PM)Astreja Wrote:  Now that they know about the concept of evolution, they're going to have a hard time making it just go away. They may speak about it among themselves, or Google it, or argue with non-Arabian students about it.

That's precisely what I encouraged them to do at the end of our class, and on Facebook I'm already seeing rumbles of it in their posts. According to some other students I kicked up quite a sh*tstorm in their little community.

There's no hope of actually getting them to acknowledge evolution as the fact it is, the brainwashing runs too deep for that (this is from the same class who told me with a perfectly straight face that all babies around the world are born Muslim and it's their non-Muslim parents who corrupt them with their Christian/Jewish/Atheist ways and steal them away from Islam :laughatSmile, but at least this is getting them talking.

**No gods, only humanity. There's only ever been us.**
27-03-2016, 05:54 PM
(27-03-2016 05:51 PM)Krypttonigt Wrote:  (this is from the same class who told me with a perfectly straight face that all babies around the world are born Muslim and it's their non-Muslim parents who corrupt them with their Christian/Jewish/Atheist ways and steal them away from Islam :laughatSmile, but at least this is getting them talking.

Blink Blink Weeping

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
27-03-2016, 06:46 PM
Not really surprised that you got that reaction (though the "Quranic evolution" and hundreds of years and humans as giants thing is really...special...); the Saudi students in my crim. classes are very prickly whenever you touch anything that even might tangentially challenge their beliefs. Like one day, mentioning the previous King/Custodian of the Holy Cities/Head of the House of Saud had decided that maybe crucifying people for crimes committed as juveniles might be wrong and he had placed a moratorium on it. One angry student said the King should not have done that...my mind was blown.

Need to think of a witty signature.
27-03-2016, 08:19 PM
Next time, try this:

"Hey teacher, what's evolotion?"
"Ah yes, that's something everyone should know about ... The Islamic Theory of Evolution."

al-Jahiz, The Book of Animals:
Quote:Animals engage in a struggle for existence [and] for resources, to avoid being eaten and to breed.... Environmental factors influence organisms to develop new characteristics to ensure survival, thus transforming into new species. Animals that survive to breed can pass on their successful characteristics to [their] offspring

1,000 years before Darwin!

And...
Quote:And in the 10th century, an Ismaili scholar called Muhammad al-Nakhshabi wrote: "While man has sprung from sentient creatures [animals], these have sprung from vegetal beings [plants] and these, in turn, from combined substance, these from elementary qualities, and these [in turn] from celestial bodies."

[+] 9 users Like DLJ's post
27-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Quote:In the end one or two of them conceded that evolution could be a thing,

This is what happens when they tie that towel too tightly around their heads!

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
28-03-2016, 07:03 AM
(27-03-2016 08:19 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Next time, try this:

"Ah yes, that's something everyone should know about ... The Islamic Theory of Evolution."

Quote:Animals engage in a struggle for existence [and] for resources, to avoid being eaten and to breed.... Environmental factors influence organisms to develop new characteristics to ensure survival, thus transforming into new species. Animals that survive to breed can pass on their successful characteristics to [their] offspring

And...
Quote:And in the 10th century, an Ismaili scholar called Muhammad al-Nakhshabi wrote: "While man has sprung from sentient creatures [animals], these have sprung from vegetal beings [plants] and these, in turn, from combined substance, these from elementary qualities, and these [in turn] from celestial bodies."

Wow! I didn't know the Muslims had this little gem tucked away in their heritage. I'm glad you brought it to light. Thanks for posting. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
28-03-2016, 09:39 AM
(27-03-2016 08:19 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Next time, try this:

And...

I'll take Quotes Taken Out of Context for $500, Alex. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]