Arabian students lose their minds at learning about evolution for the first time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2016, 09:40 AM
RE: Arabian students lose their minds at learning about evolution for the first time
(28-03-2016 07:03 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(27-03-2016 08:19 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Next time, try this:

"Hey teacher, what's evolotion?"
"Ah yes, that's something everyone should know about ... The Islamic Theory of Evolution."

al-Jahiz, The Book of Animals:

1,000 years before Darwin!

And...

Wow! I didn't know the Muslims had this little gem tucked away in their heritage. I'm glad you brought it to light. Thanks for posting. Smile

Gem? Fool's gold, more like.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2016, 11:52 AM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2016 11:57 AM by DLJ.)
RE: Arabian students lose their minds at learning about evolution for the first time
(28-03-2016 07:03 AM)Aliza Wrote:  ...
Wow! I didn't know the Muslims had this little gem tucked away in their heritage. I'm glad you brought it to light. Thanks for posting. Smile

More here.

Of course, Darwin (and Wallace) gets the credit because of the idea of Natural Selection (the clincher ... although the acceptance of the clinch took over a century) but it does show that other earlier naturalists were drawing similar conclusions based on their observations.

Islamic teachings do often encourage inquiry (not just revelation) as a method of gaining knowledge ... some sects highlight this where others want to stamp it out

Which I understand is what happened in this case as the ideas died. I can't remember where I read about that but I recall it was via a link posted on TTA before. Credit to whoever it was who posted it.

Sadly, it's a recurring pattern ... think Galileo etc. who was a believer but silenced by the church hierarchy of the time. The ending of the Golden Age of Islam is a major historical example of religion winning over scientific and technological discoveries brought about through collaboration (via improvements in trade and communication).

I'm wondering whether you might be able to dig up some Jewish examples?

And if you've ever thought, as I have, "why did it take humans so long to work this out this evolution thing?", it begins to make more sense if you think of it as an 'evolved' idea ... numerous people finding different pieces of the jigsaw. And then someone (in this case Darwin) realising what the big picture must be and working back to determine what the missing pieces should look like.

Find all posts by this user
03-08-2016, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2016 10:25 AM by Krypttonigt.)
(27-03-2016 08:19 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Next time, try this:

"Hey teacher, what's evolotion?"
"Ah yes, that's something everyone should know about ... The Islamic Theory of Evolution."

al-Jahiz, The Book of Animals:
Quote:Animals engage in a struggle for existence [and] for resources, to avoid being eaten and to breed.... Environmental factors influence organisms to develop new characteristics to ensure survival, thus transforming into new species. Animals that survive to breed can pass on their successful characteristics to [their] offspring

1,000 years before Darwin!

And...
Quote:And in the 10th century, an Ismaili scholar called Muhammad al-Nakhshabi wrote: "While man has sprung from sentient creatures [animals], these have sprung from vegetal beings [plants] and these, in turn, from combined substance, these from elementary qualities, and these [in turn] from celestial bodies."

http://www.decodingtheheavens.com/blog/p...arwin.aspx
I gave this little tidbit to some students during another discussion on evolution a couple weeks ago and, suprise surprise, it ACTUALLY bloody worked! So thanks :-D

Turns out all some of them needed was to have their egos stroked first before they could become far more receptive than the previous group.

**No gods, only humanity. There's only ever been us.**
[+] 4 users Like Krypttonigt's post
03-08-2016, 10:24 AM
you could be jailed or worse for stroking your students, you know.

Tongue
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
03-08-2016, 10:27 AM
(03-08-2016 10:24 AM)skyking Wrote:  you could be jailed or worse for stroking your students, you know.

Tongue

Ha! Well done Thumbsup

**No gods, only humanity. There's only ever been us.**
[+] 1 user Likes Krypttonigt's post
03-08-2016, 10:34 AM
Seriously that is both cool and scary to be in your situation. I picture a room of little Newt Gingriches as depicted in Doonesbury.

http://doonesbury.washingtonpost.com/str...2012/01/08
04-08-2016, 06:30 AM
I had a biology professor (not deserving of that term) who was a creationist. He was nice, and knowledgeable, but every time he would start talking about evolution, he'd start with "we don't believe in this, but this is what science has agreed upon". Annoyed the shit out of me Laugh out load

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post