Archeology and Paleontology in Isreal. National Geographic.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Archeology and Paleontology in Isreal. National Geographic.
Hey people,

So for anyone who doesn't read National Geographic magazine (who does nowadays) the magazine ran an article of the search for king David in December.

First off before we even touch on the article the cover for the month that features this article is so to the point for the violence in the bible some of us like to point out. I can't believe this cover was put up as a tribute to the article. It perfectly captures the kind of person many of the kings in the bible really were. Seriously go look up the cover. Smile

Anyway the article itself drives me crazy. It boils down to two Archeologists having a disagreement about the validity of certain excavations and claims to have found "the kingdom of David" as described in the bible.

The problem is simple. Neither party cites any kind of demonstrable basis for their argument other then carbon dating. There are HUNDREDS of better more accurate methods of dating then carbon dating and pottery dating.

But the real icing on the cake in the article for me is that despite searching for over 50 years and having not found a single piece of evidence to back up biblical history of the old testament in Israel people still talk like it's only tomorrow that they will dig up the proof they want.

What Historian or Archeologist basis their search on what they would "like" to find rather then to see what really happened. What kind of magazine as well takes an article like this seriously without getting some real scientific dating done to settle the argument?

If Jewish history is not true then it falls to claim that the new testament is also false. I just don't get why this whole thing isn't a huge issue for Christians. If there is no good historical evidence to show the old testament as true then why on earth would we continue to worship a Jesus?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2010, 09:13 AM
RE: Archeology and Paleontology in Isreal. National Geographic.
I think it's a huge issue for Christians, and that is why they work so hard to prove the OT is true.

Here's the thing, though: even if we find definitive proof that there was a King David, it does not really change anything. The old testament was written when some of this was going on or shortly thereafter. The archeological record does show that some places in the bible did actually exist. For example, whether you believe in the mythology of King Solomon or not, there is no denying that the Hebrews built a temple around the time the bible estimates the 2nd temple was built because we can physically see the remains of the structure ourselves. That wall did not build itself. It may be its not the 2nd temple but the first, but it may also be that there was a previous structure. It may be that Kind David is based on a real person. That does not really change anything for me, though.

George Washington was a real person too but that doesn't mean everything written about him is true. The whole "I cannot tell a lie" theory and the story on the cherry tree are absolutely nothing more than legends. Another great example is former US Prohibition agent Eliot Ness, the man who took down mobster Al Capone. He was a real person, died in the 1950s, and there are dozens of fictionalized accounts of his life. Books, tv shows, a few movies. The fact that he's been the focus of stories doesn't mean he wasn't real, but his real life wasn't nearly as dramatic as some would have you believe.

Whether or not there is still absolute proof waiting to be found that David was real only serves to validate some of the history of the bible, not the existence of god. Obviously religious groups are not going to see it that way.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
19-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Hello there! Well, there was a similar thread in the forum, it was about NatGeo, Discovery Channel, History Channel, etc, about broadcasting this kind of rubbish, provig that the bible is right, conspiracies, nostradamus, 2012, etc. Like ThruthAddict said; "The majority of people do not want to watch informative documentaries. They want entertainment. The only way a non-fiction channel like the History Channel can provide that entertainment for our Jersey Shore worshiping population is with scandal and radical claims. They don't care about the theory of relativity, but if you can get them to shit their pants about 2012 then your advertising revenues go up." I think this is the case of NatGeo Magazine, they just want to sell their magazine by publishing tabloid like articles like the one Godless is mentioning, for example when I go to the mall, every time NatGeo magazine is about 2012 and the cover shows Earth exploding, almost all of the people who see the magazine will buy it just beacuse it mentions 2012 and ignore the other articles within the magazine, they just want the "sexiest" reading possible. Peace.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-12-2010, 04:49 AM
This is the spider-man argument.
New York is real therefore Spider-Man Comic is real , or is it Jerusalem is real - therefore the Bible is real ?
20-12-2010, 11:22 PM
We have to prove that Gotham City is real or Batman is ............AAAHHHHH!!!!!!! Tongue