Archeology story of the Week

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2013, 06:56 AM
Archeology story of the Week
A caucasian skull found in Australia predates Capt. Cook's arrival by over 100 years. "...scientific testing revealed that not only was it much older than expected, but possibly belonged to a white man born around 1650, well before Englishman Cook reached the eastern seaboard on the Endeavour in 1770.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2013-07-white-skull...s.html#jCp"

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2013, 12:32 PM
RE: Archeology story of the Week
(03-07-2013 06:56 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  A caucasian skull found in Australia predates Capt. Cook's arrival by over 100 years. "...scientific testing revealed that not only was it much older than expected, but possibly belonged to a white man born around 1650, well before Englishman Cook reached the eastern seaboard on the Endeavour in 1770.

Quote:Dutch explorers made the earliest European landings in Cape York in Australia's far north and western Australia in the 1600s.

A quick search shows me that the Dutch settled Australia in 1606, they place the fellow as being born in the 1650's.
The range of time for the skull (taken from the article) is from the 1650's to a full century later, during the time of Cook's exploration.

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
04-07-2013, 06:39 PM
(04-07-2013 12:32 PM)KeenIdiot Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 06:56 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  A caucasian skull found in Australia predates Capt. Cook's arrival by over 100 years. "...scientific testing revealed that not only was it much older than expected, but possibly belonged to a white man born around 1650, well before Englishman Cook reached the eastern seaboard on the Endeavour in 1770.

Quote:Dutch explorers made the earliest European landings in Cape York in Australia's far north and western Australia in the 1600s.

A quick search shows me that the Dutch settled Australia in 1606, they place the fellow as being born in the 1650's.
The range of time for the skull (taken from the article) is from the 1650's to a full century later, during the time of Cook's exploration.

I think the blurb of the hyperlink I posted is misleading, it isn't that it claims that no other white man arrived on Australia prior to Cook's arrival only that this skull predates Cook, an important historical marker for Australia.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
04-07-2013, 07:18 PM
I was just confused, I thought I was missing something to the report.

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker