Are Americans Really THAT Violent

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2015, 05:34 AM
Are Americans Really THAT Violent
You'll frequently hear comments about how violent the US society is. And yes - I do agree it's not Shangri-la... But, are we the worst offenders?

It got me to do some quick looking -- and here's something interesting --- a list of serial killers -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ser...of_victims

You'd think the USA would be number one. (Especially with the amount of TV programing dedicated to crime drama)

Oddly -- in sheer numbers -- we're in the "B" league......

A Columbian holds the record...

We're behind Brazil and India for crissakes.....

Somebody needs to get out there, and make us number 1!!! (/sarcasm)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2015, 06:57 AM
RE: Are Americans Really THAT Violent
(19-05-2015 05:34 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You'll frequently hear comments about how violent the US society is. And yes - I do agree it's not Shangri-la... But, are we the worst offenders?

It got me to do some quick looking -- and here's something interesting --- a list of serial killers -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ser...of_victims

You'd think the USA would be number one. (Especially with the amount of TV programing dedicated to crime drama)

Oddly -- in sheer numbers -- we're in the "B" league......

A Columbian holds the record...

We're behind Brazil and India for crissakes.....

Somebody needs to get out there, and make us number 1!!! (/sarcasm)

Humans are violent, and you can see some kind of violence anywhere you go. To single out a certain country or race etc. is usually just a way to promote propaganda. People say the US is extremely violent at the same time people are being brutally executed and killed in the middle east by ISIS.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
19-05-2015, 07:25 AM
That Russian guy on the list is probably very understated. I saw a program on him in the 90s shortly after they executed him, and the speculation was he killed hundreds of children over the years. The Russians were reluctant to admit they had a serial killer and only owned up to what they had to, which was still a pretty gruesome number. But, it's probably short by at least half.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
19-05-2015, 07:28 AM
Yeah the Soviets never did like to admit that all was not roses in "the worker's paradise"....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
19-05-2015, 08:24 AM
I didn't see Harold Shipman on there anywhere. The Brit doctor who liked to bump off the elderly just after they altered their wills in his favour. I think he was convicted of about 14 or 15 but some suspect it was more in the region of 250.

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
19-05-2015, 08:57 AM
(19-05-2015 08:24 AM)Eva Wrote:  I didn't see Harold Shipman on there anywhere. The Brit doctor who liked to bump off the elderly just after they altered their wills in his favour. I think he was convicted of about 14 or 15 but some suspect it was more in the region of 250.

Scroll down.... He's number 1 in the medical and quacks section.....

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
19-05-2015, 09:49 AM
A great book that skirts this topic is Devil In The White City. It's about the Chicago World's Fair in 1893 and how a serial killer named Herman Holmes used that event to murder people. He may have been the most prolific serial killer in US history, but his actual victim count is difficult to asses.

Great read, though.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
19-05-2015, 09:53 AM
Well, violence of some society is not only measured by a number of serial killers.

Among developed countries US does lead in murders with 4.7 rate on 100k population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cou...icide_rate

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
19-05-2015, 10:18 AM
(19-05-2015 09:53 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Well, violence of some society is not only measured by a number of serial killers.

Among developed countries US does lead in murders with 4.7 rate on 100k population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cou...icide_rate

According to a UN report in 2013 Honduras leads with the highest murder rate. 90.4 homicides per 100,000 people. Not sure if it's been updated.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/10/world/un-w...der-rates/

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
19-05-2015, 10:01 PM
No New Zealanders? Really?

[Image: oscar.png]