Are Americans Really THAT Violent

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2015, 10:09 PM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2015 05:46 AM by Anjele.)
RE: Are Americans Really THAT Violent
(19-05-2015 09:49 AM)BnW Wrote:  A great book that skirts this topic is Devil In The White City. It's about the Chicago World's Fair in 1893 and how a serial killer named Herman Holmes used that event to murder people. He may have been the most prolific serial killer in US history, but his actual victim count is difficult to asses.

Great read, though.

Holmes was a twisted dude. Serial killers being one of the topics I love to study...he was a shocker when I stumbled across his story.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-05-2015, 10:55 PM
(19-05-2015 10:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(19-05-2015 09:49 AM)BnW Wrote:  A great book that skirts this topic is Devil In The White City. It's about the Chicago World's Fair in 1893 and how a serial killer named Herman Holmes used that event to murder people. He may have been the most prolific serial killer in US history, but his actual victim count is difficult to asses.

Great read, though.

Holmes was a twisted dude. Serial killers being one of topics I love to study...he was a shocker when I stumbled across his story.

I'm kind of a ghoul when it comes to serial killers, Jack The Ripper still fascinates me.
19-05-2015, 11:10 PM
(19-05-2015 07:25 AM)BnW Wrote:  That Russian guy on the list is probably very understated. I saw a program on him in the 90s shortly after they executed him, and the speculation was he killed hundreds of children over the years. The Russians were reluctant to admit they had a serial killer and only owned up to what they had to, which was still a pretty gruesome number. But, it's probably short by at least half.

If you can find it there is an excellent little movie on that case called "Citizen X."

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
20-05-2015, 12:16 AM
Yes.....
20-05-2015, 02:01 AM
A serial killer in a smaller country is usually administering a shadow government, levying taxes, and controlling the government through bribes and intimidation. In order for them to officially count as a serial killer, you have to actually have a marginally effective system of law enforcement to label them as such.

If a few militia members ran by a psychopathic serial killer are enough to threaten the use of force hierarchy, they don't get charged and arrested. They just become the new government.

'Murican Canadian
20-05-2015, 07:43 AM
(19-05-2015 10:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

Great read, though.

Holmes was a twisted dude. Serial killers being one of the topics I love to study...he was a shocker when I stumbled across his story.

He may have killed hundreds of people, going back to his term years. There is no exact way to know.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
20-05-2015, 11:37 AM
(19-05-2015 10:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  No New Zealanders? Really?
There you go. A new goal in life awaits.
[+] 4 users Like Clockwork's post
20-05-2015, 01:51 PM
(19-05-2015 10:18 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(19-05-2015 09:53 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Well, violence of some society is not only measured by a number of serial killers.

Among developed countries US does lead in murders with 4.7 rate on 100k population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cou...icide_rate

According to a UN report in 2013 Honduras leads with the highest murder rate. 90.4 homicides per 100,000 people. Not sure if it's been updated.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/10/world/un-w...der-rates/

It's interesting that Honduras is one of the most religious countries in South America.

http://www.pewforum.org/2014/11/13/chapt...-practice/

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
20-05-2015, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2015 03:20 PM by Free Thought.)
(19-05-2015 05:34 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You'll frequently hear comments about how violent the US society is. And yes - I do agree it's not Shangri-la... But, are we the worst offenders?

It got me to do some quick looking -- and here's something interesting --- a list of serial killers -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ser...of_victims

You'd think the USA would be number one. (Especially with the amount of TV programing dedicated to crime drama)

Oddly -- in sheer numbers -- we're in the "B" league......

A Columbian holds the record...

We're behind Brazil and India for crissakes.....

Somebody needs to get out there, and make us number 1!!! (/sarcasm)

What the fuck?
Britain had a serial killer named "jack the Stripper"?
That is the least intimidating murderer name of all time.

Biker, I feel the need to ask: how does the US stack up against the rest of the first world? Drinking Beverage

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Abul Djabar would strangle his victims with a turban while raping them. Was it murder or just rough sex gone bad? Dude probably forgot that they have to be able to breathe to say the safe word. Should've went with the tap out safe gesture instead.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus