"Are Atheist Wrong" -- a fascinating debate in Australia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2011, 05:28 PM
RE: "Are Atheist Wrong" -- a fascinating debate in Australia
(06-10-2011 03:41 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  Thank you for posting this. I was very disappointed by the trite arguments presented by the theists in the panel. Basically, as usual, they boiled down to 2 categories:
a) God exists because atheists don't know how ... (insert favorite phenomenon. Anything from the Big Bang to moral good) happened.
b) Life would be so dismal if god didn't exist.

I was also disappointed that the atheist group didn't adequately address them in the most direct and obvious way, which is
a) I'd rather say I don't know something than invent an explanation for it.
b) Christmas would be so dismal if Santa Claus didn't exist...

The fact that an an hypothesis must be capable of being falsified , in keeping with the scientific method, in order to be of value, indicates a degree of lack in its potentialities.

As for "god", why must the vast majority of arguments, for and against, be limited to man made definitions of the phenomenon under scrutiny?
Intuition, awe, speculation, and pondering, in my view, are not methods that should be either thrown on the scrap heap or taken too
seriously.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2011, 06:45 PM
(06-10-2011 04:48 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  Just started watching and I will start making notes as I watch.

1.We should believe in god cause he believes in us. He backs this statement with "God entered his world"(JC and Earth) He states how he knows this is true by saying the bible says so.

We are off to a great start...

Don't forget the most outrageous statement that the resurrection of Jesus is the most witnessed and reported event in history. Uh... most witnessed and reported by two women. No, three. No, one. Wait, what?

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
06-10-2011, 07:18 PM
(06-10-2011 06:45 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  Don't forget the most outrageous statement that the resurrection of Jesus is the most witnessed and reported event in history. Uh... most witnessed and reported by two women. No, three. No, one. Wait, what?

That is an out and out lie! No matter what historical references you use or believe in or conjure. That statement has to be manufactured from absolute oblivion.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
09-10-2011, 04:00 PM
The first speaker was a moron. Not much more to say. Everything he said was just dumb.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire