Are Children Overprotected or Over Idolized?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2017, 09:10 AM
Are Children Overprotected or Over Idolized?
Here's a story for you.
My aunts friend had two kids. I was okay baby sitting, kids got on the xbox one and I stayed on my laptop, simple as that. They weren't dumb at least. I made them a snack when they got hungry, simple thing heated up in the microwave.

But I hated having to sit near them, not because of skin color, religion, or culture things. Just because they smelled like sour milk and who knows where else their hands have been. I hate being touched by kids, and I wasn't a kid friendly person, Hell I could barely stand my sisters. Some people are just not up for parenting.

Yet I kept getting scowled at like I was the problem, for getting annoyed when the kid played this one minuet song over.. and over... and over! For ten minuets. I was to 'be the adult' when I had only turned 18 a week ago.

So my question is, do some parents overprotect or over idolize their kids? Telling them they are 'always special' or 'always perfect'.

Because I was about to get annoyed when I was told to put the kid first over my comfort zone of kids. I can only take children under the age of 15 in short bursts before I just walk away. I don't find kids that great, I don't think your kid is all perfect.

There's my question and rant for day. Tongue

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2017, 09:19 AM
RE: Are Children Overprotected or Over Idolized?
I have a daughter, who's 7, and I'll tell you something that I believe most parents will agree with...

...kids are both the best thing ever, and annoying as hell. The only parents I ever see who overprotect their kids, are the ones who are vocal about it. The amount of times my own daughter has driven me to the edge of insanity, lets just say it's a lot. That being said, I tell my daughter she can do anything/be anything she wants, as long as she puts the work in.

I think those that say otherwise, and effectively worship their kids are idiots of the highest order.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
22-03-2017, 09:24 AM
I'm just not a kid person. I never did like kids, never planning on having kids. But the fact is when ever I just old the kid to stop touching me, I was suddenly the bad guy!

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
[+] 1 user Likes Ruby Crystal's post
22-03-2017, 09:40 AM
(22-03-2017 09:10 AM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Here's a story for you.
My aunts friend had two kids. I was okay baby sitting, kids got on the xbox one and I stayed on my laptop, simple as that. They weren't dumb at least. I made them a snack when they got hungry, simple thing heated up in the microwave.

But I hated having to sit near them, not because of skin color, religion, or culture things. Just because they smelled like sour milk and who knows where else their hands have been. I hate being touched by kids, and I wasn't a kid friendly person, Hell I could barely stand my sisters. Some people are just not up for parenting.

Yet I kept getting scowled at like I was the problem, for getting annoyed when the kid played this one minuet song over.. and over... and over! For ten minuets. I was to 'be the adult' when I had only turned 18 a week ago.

So my question is, do some parents overprotect or over idolize their kids? Telling them they are 'always special' or 'always perfect'.

Because I was about to get annoyed when I was told to put the kid first over my comfort zone of kids. I can only take children under the age of 15 in short bursts before I just walk away. I don't find kids that great, I don't think your kid is all perfect.

There's my question and rant for day. Tongue

I can't stand kids either. Except for my own kid. She's only 16 months old though, so we'll see how this goes.
22-03-2017, 09:41 AM
If kids repulse you, now that you know this, you should not be taking a babysitting job. There's not anything wrong with you, but you shouldn't be dealing with kids if you can't stand them. It may make you uncomfortable to tell a friend no when asked to watch their kids, but you need to do so.

Also, though, it's utterly normal for kids to test limits when someone new is watching them, so it's always good to check with the parents to get a sense of the house rules. And then you can say no--usually the kids will back down in that situation. Yes, there are some households in which the kids don't have adult-imposed limits. It's more the exception than the rule, as far as I've seen.

And if you wind up in this situation again, understand that, yes, as the temporary supervisor of the kids, it's your job to watch over them and interact with them in (at worst) a neutral, not negative, way. Controlling your behavior is something you'll have to do at a job, so it's a good capacity to develop.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
22-03-2017, 10:12 AM
(22-03-2017 09:24 AM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  I'm just not a kid person. I never did like kids, never planning on having kids. But the fact is when ever I just old the kid to stop touching me, I was suddenly the bad guy!

Don't worry about, we never planned on having kids, it just sort of happened lol. I don't mind hugging my daughter, but having hands/toys shoved in my face is something I don't like haha.

Not everybody is on board for children, but then again I never really was and now I am. In saying that I have the one kid, and happily tell people I wouldn't choose to have another, as it would drive me insane lol.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
22-03-2017, 10:40 AM
To me kids are like adults in that I like some and dislike others. Most are ok but some are just nasty. I don't have any myself but I teach middle school. My students ask if I want kids and I'm like hell no. They laugh and say it's because we're bad, isn't it?
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
22-03-2017, 11:10 AM
I was the perfect parent.

Before I had kids.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like ShadowProject's post
22-03-2017, 11:30 AM
I love kids. I really do. I'd like to be a kid again and drive all you adults NUTS! Bwaaaahahahaha. Evil_monster

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
22-03-2017, 05:02 PM
I observe neighbors who get up early, on their day off work to go sit at the end of the drive - waiting for their fucking kid's school bus.....

Hint - don't act surprised when you find your over-dependant ankle biter still living at home when they turn 35........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post