Are Children Overprotected or Over Idolized?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2017, 12:27 AM
RE: Are Children Overprotected or Over Idolized?
I won't ever be having kids for a variety of reasons, one of which being I can't stand them.

The problem I have noticed is some people becoming completely obsessed with their kids, to the point where they can barely talk about anything else. It makes for tedious conversation.

As a society, I understand and support the need to protect children in general, because they can't properly protect themselves. Some parents do take this too far, especially with regard to schools, where they'll refuse to accept their child has done anything wrong and so undermine the teachers.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
24-03-2017, 12:50 AM
Quote:Some parents do take this too far, especially with regard to schools, where they'll refuse to accept their child has done anything wrong and so undermine the teachers.

I've been teaching for about a decade and I've only seen this two or three times. My students are almost 100% free lunch to give a breakdown. So I don't have much experience with wealthy suburban kids.

Most parents are very supportive. I hear a lot of things like I'm having the same problems at home. There's been a tragedy. I'll take care of it. I'll talk to her. Thanks for what you do. Thanks for caring for my son.

Also, there's an art to it. You can't just call and start bagging on their kid. It's just nature that mothers aren't going to respond to that or be defensive or even very defensive. That's maternal instinct. First you firmly establish that you're coming from a place of concern and then you explain the problem. And if it's partially your fault because the class has gotten out of hand, own up to it. If they care they already know.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like I'mFred's post
24-03-2017, 12:59 AM
That's really great, I'm glad to hear it Smile

Yeah, it's just what I've heard, and it would only be a certain type of parent. I wasn't suggesting they would all be like that. I used to be a teacher as well, and luckily I didn't have to deal with that side of things. I did eventually have to quit due to stress though, as the kids had no respect whatsoever and were quite happy to drive me towards a breakdown. It makes me shudder to think about it now. But again, I'm sure this isn't representative.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
24-03-2017, 06:24 AM
I'm pretty sure this is my last year. It's a very demoralizing job. It has some incredible perks but I'm burnt out. The damage to my mental health is insufferable. I've been working my entire adult life, not unique I know. But teaching is the only job where I actually feel like I am literally being abused. I could go on and on.

But the parents of kids growing up in the ghetto. They get it.

People blame the teachers. People blame the kids. People blame the parents. People blame the system. I mostly blame the system. It's too rigid. Whatever the case, it's in a state of horrible disrepair. Maybe it's an unavoidable byproduct of America's history.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
24-03-2017, 08:00 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Sad I totally sympathize.

[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
24-03-2017, 08:03 AM
My mother still thinks violent video games are bad. Fortunately she never stopped me from playing them.

24-03-2017, 08:28 AM
I've had students make really interesting and insightful comments in class and when I ask where did you get that idea they'll mention some game where the mission is to destroy humanity with a biological agent or survive a nuclear holocaust or something else wildly apocalyptic.

I've never played Fall Out, for example, but it sounds fascinating.
24-03-2017, 08:28 AM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2017 12:54 PM by Mr. Boston.)
I'm a father of 2 young sons, aged 6 and almost 2. Getting super-freakin' irritated and annoyed with them doesn't mean you don't love them and care for them. And loving and caring for them doesn't do anything to stop them from being irritating and annoying.

That said I'll take an afternoon with a toddler over one with a teenager any day of the week if you want to know the truth. Sure, you have to watch them intently as they skitter about picking up potentially dangerous things, knocking over drinks, etc. They relieve themselves in their pants and you have to clean it up! The horror! But they're generally happy-go-lucky little people who only want to play with you and laugh. There's only really 3 things that can happen, they get hungry, they get sleepy, they need a diaper change. That's about it.

Teenagers on the other hand will just straight-out hate you for no reason whatsoever, ignore you, give you an attitude, and somehow it's your fault, lol. At least when you're hanging out with a 2-year-old they want to be with you, they're not embarrassed about allowing themselves to have a good time.

As far as the mind-numbing repetition of the parenting routine, you eventually tune it out. I can't tell you how many times I've "watched" the 27-minute YouTube compilation of 11 versions of "The Wheels on the Bus," with my younger son. My older son LOVES to watch YouTube vids of other people playing video games. What is THAT about? At this point it's like I don't even notice it's on.

Over the long haul the rewards of parenting are the little moments where they do something amazing, advance to some developmental plateau seemingly out of nowhere, say or do something you laugh about for days, etc. It's not exciting every minute, but I will say that for me anyway the type of fun I'm having as a dad pushing 40 is leaps and bounds better than the amusement I pursued 15 years ago. Sure I could go see midnight movies, go out drinking with my buddies any night of the week, have band practice EVERY Saturday without fail, have a LOT more sex! It was fun and satisfying but I wasn't really accomplishing anything compared to the two little humanoids I'm developing and nurturing now. The payback was more instantaneous in those days, every whim immediately catered-to, but it wasn't as deeply rewarding.

In my 20s I was satisfied with my activities but not very impressed with my life. Now it's the other way around, if that makes sense.
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
24-03-2017, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2017 08:38 AM by Mr. Boston.)
As far as whether we over-idolize our kids, I think that is a trap some parents fall into. Trying to get points in some imaginary parenting game over whose kids can do the most extra-curricular activities, whose kids have the best birthday parties, etc. For some people children become just another extension of the materialism and social climbing that's rotting out the core of our society. I think it's probably pretty easy to fall into a pattern of living vicariously through your kids - absorbing their accomplishments as a reflection of your own, etc. I doubt this can be avoided entirely, but it IS a good idea to try and be mindful of it.
24-03-2017, 09:32 AM
The idolization of children really started in the Victorian era. Prior to that children were just small adults that needed to disappear until they grew up. Most historians think it started with Queen Victoria and her slew of children that she had and all the over romanticized paintings of her with her children.

[Image: 36e3d7d456b14c66b0a5032f717882f0.jpg]

Suddenly little angelic children were used to sell soap and hair products , sewing machines and everything else.

[Image: AP-FRAME-2388-pears-soap-his-turn-next-1903.jpg]

[Image: 2eaef901c13ce0f0f5e0be86340abf44.jpg]

The odd thing with the Victorians was that children, while being idolized, were at the same time working in sweatshops 12 - 14 hours a day. I guess they compartmentalized this love of children to only include pretty, upper middle class children.

I do get a wee bit concerned about atheists not propagating though. I mean, people can do whatever the hell they want but when atheists no longer have any children or adopt we're going to be overrun with insane, crazy religious nuts. Hobo

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post