Are Children Overprotected or Over Idolized?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2017, 10:22 AM
RE: Are Children Overprotected or Over Idolized?
Big Grin

Don't let their cute little faces fool you!

Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2017, 08:08 AM
(22-03-2017 09:10 AM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Here's a story for you.
My aunts friend had two kids. I was okay baby sitting, kids got on the xbox one and I stayed on my laptop, simple as that. They weren't dumb at least. I made them a snack when they got hungry, simple thing heated up in the microwave.

But I hated having to sit near them, not because of skin color, religion, or culture things. Just because they smelled like sour milk and who knows where else their hands have been. I hate being touched by kids, and I wasn't a kid friendly person, Hell I could barely stand my sisters. Some people are just not up for parenting.

Yet I kept getting scowled at like I was the problem, for getting annoyed when the kid played this one minuet song over.. and over... and over! For ten minuets. I was to 'be the adult' when I had only turned 18 a week ago.

So my question is, do some parents overprotect or over idolize their kids? Telling them they are 'always special' or 'always perfect'.

Because I was about to get annoyed when I was told to put the kid first over my comfort zone of kids. I can only take children under the age of 15 in short bursts before I just walk away. I don't find kids that great, I don't think your kid is all perfect.

There's my question and rant for day. Tongue

I don't get it, did you agree to babysit kids, when you don't like them in general?

If so I don't think the problem is the patents but you in this equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
29-03-2017, 08:18 AM
(23-03-2017 05:53 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I'm not and never have been kid-friendly either, and I hate them touching me with their moist, grubby little hands too.

I'm curious why you think this is? Negative childhood experiences? A general germ-phobia?
I have a sister-law whose averse to kids, unlike her other siblings, I've always associated it with a lack of bonding with her parents when she was child.

I wonder if there's a common variable among those averse to kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
25-04-2017, 08:23 PM
Well I guess you need to adjust because kids need a guidance with the adult. Kids loves to explore everything, when they liked movies, songs and thing they want to do, they always doing repetitive that is adults will be there on their side and guide them. Don't hate children and don't hurt them instead love them and they will love you back.
25-04-2017, 08:35 PM
I should have posted in this thread earlier.
On Easter Sunday I went home to visit my folks. My sister and her two kids were there (one's 2 or 3 the others 6months).
The 2/3 year old was god awful annoying. I am in no way shape or form a kids person. I hate children. HATE. Even my sisters who i know I'm suppose to "love" because family and all the stupid unlogical bullshit that goes along with the word, but I swear to fucking God I dislike the shit out that child. And I had the same experience as you, everything was MY fault. I walked away when she wanted to be picked up because she'd just had chocolate and got chocolate all over her hands and I didn't want her touching me and getting it all over my jacket. Suddenly I'm the bad guy, according to my sister and mother, because I refused to pick up my gross niece. Fuck off I didn't sign up for this shit, she's the one that popped the kid out not me.

The worst part. The absolutely worst fucking part about kids is when you tell people you're not a kids person and don't want kids.
You get the whole "oh you say that now but you'll have kids later when you get married.". I still have never told anyone I'm gay but I swear to fucking God that line is what's gonna do it. Some people just can't seem to get it through their thick skulls that some people just don't like/want children.

There's "mothers day" and "fathers day" what about "childless day"?
Those of us who don't have children are the real sufferers. At least parents become numb to that shit. We're the ones that get annoyed at the movie theater or grocery store because of your shitty kids.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
25-04-2017, 08:41 PM
(25-04-2017 08:35 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Some people just can't seem to get it through their thick skulls that some people just don't like/want children.

My wife and I didn't want, don't have, and don't enjoy children.

Years ago when my sister and her husband came to visit us with their two young sons, we were apprehensive. But we sat them down in front of our Nintendo and figured they would be happy for the rest of the evening. Then the electricity went out. Soon there were marks on our walls from their running around.

And do you know what my sister said to me? She didn't apologize for not keeping her kids under control. She told me it was our fault for getting them all excited with video games.

Angry
25-04-2017, 11:05 PM
(25-04-2017 08:41 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 08:35 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Some people just can't seem to get it through their thick skulls that some people just don't like/want children.

My wife and I didn't want, don't have, and don't enjoy children.

Years ago when my sister and her husband came to visit us with their two young sons, we were apprehensive. But we sat them down in front of our Nintendo and figured they would be happy for the rest of the evening. Then the electricity went out. Soon there were marks on our walls from their running around.

And do you know what my sister said to me? She didn't apologize for not keeping her kids under control. She told me it was our fault for getting them all excited with video games.

Angry

Yip, the worst part about children (apart from the "ohhh you'll change your mind and have children later" bullshit people preach) is the parents. Or should I say, the lack of parenting.

They don't know nice things or have a clean tidy house so why the fuck should anyone else? Their kids are rampaging around the store literally pulling $40 nerf guns out of the packaging (a true feat for someone so small if you ask me which just goes to show how monstrous children are) and running around the store shooting each other with nerf bullets, also ripped from the packaging and I'M the asshole for asking if you're gonna pay for that!? bitch please! (I might be a little bit salty about a certain situation that happened not long ago at work..). So we're left with products that we now have to repackage (which means they'll sit on the shelf forever), not to mention potential lose of stock from nerf bullets being lost under shelving and you aint gonna do shit!?

Just the complete lack of parenting these days. You know what kids I like? The Maori kids. They fucking know. Their mom gives them one stern look and they fall in line. But god help me if a bunch of shitty white or Indian kids come into the store... OMG PARENT YOUR FUCKING KIDS WE'RE NOT A FUCKING DAYCARE!!
A complete lack of parenting and a complete lack of taking responsibility for said lack of parenting.

We have display scooters and bikes etc.. and parents will just let their kids ride around on them. I use to not say anything but now I just don't give a fuck. "Please get off and put that back." And of course you get the parents complaining that "what's the harm blah blah". So I fucking tell them. It's fucking health and safety, it's them damaging products and it's us BEING A FUCKING RETAIL STORE NO FUCKING PRESCHOOL!!!! YOU INBRED MOTHERFUCKER!!

Hate them.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
25-04-2017, 11:20 PM
(25-04-2017 11:05 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 08:41 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  My wife and I didn't want, don't have, and don't enjoy children.

Angry

Yip, the worst part about children (apart from the "ohhh you'll change your mind and have children later" bullshit people preach) is the parents. Or should I say, the lack of parenting.

They don't know nice things or have a clean tidy house so why the fuck should anyone else? Their kids are rampaging around the store literally pulling $40 nerf guns out of the packaging (a true feat for someone so small if you ask me which just goes to show how monstrous children are) and running around the store shooting each other with nerf bullets, also ripped from the packaging and I'M the asshole for asking if you're gonna pay for that!? bitch please! (I might be a little bit salty about a certain situation that happened not long ago at work..). So we're left with products that we now have to repackage (which means they'll sit on the shelf forever), not to mention potential lose of stock from nerf bullets being lost under shelving and you aint gonna do shit!?

Just the complete lack of parenting these days. You know what kids I like? The Maori kids. They fucking know. Their mom gives them one stern look and they fall in line. But god help me if a bunch of shitty white or Indian kids come into the store... OMG PARENT YOUR FUCKING KIDS WE'RE NOT A FUCKING DAYCARE!!
A complete lack of parenting and a complete lack of taking responsibility for said lack of parenting.

We have display scooters and bikes etc.. and parents will just let their kids ride around on them. I use to not say anything but now I just don't give a fuck. "Please get off and put that back." And of course you get the parents complaining that "what's the harm blah blah". So I fucking tell them. It's fucking health and safety, it's them damaging products and it's us BEING A FUCKING RETAIL STORE NO FUCKING PRESCHOOL!!!! YOU INBRED MOTHERFUCKER!!

Hate them.

I don't know if you have them in other countries but here in the US the whole coddle the kids thing while shopping took an ugly turn some years back. I am not sure which came first but not only do you have to dodge the free range kids in the grocery store but some stores have miniature carts so that the little darlings can run up and down the aisles with a wheeled weapon of destruction capable of knocking over displays and taking adults out at the knees. Then there are the full-sized carts attached to the back of two-seater kid cars. Even the most hardly adults cannot maneuver those damn, unwieldy things around a corner. Kids love those so much they are often wailing as they ride along in their 'fun' modes of transportation

Last weekend I also encountered a guy with two free range kids and another one on some tricycle thing they brought in on their own. Facepalm

Going to the grocery store is now a horror of un-parented little darlings. And I am supposed to feel bad because I don't think it's cute.

Sadly, it's not usually the kid that's the problem...it's the lack of parental control that's the problem.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
25-04-2017, 11:41 PM
(25-04-2017 11:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 11:05 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yip, the worst part about children (apart from the "ohhh you'll change your mind and have children later" bullshit people preach) is the parents. Or should I say, the lack of parenting.

Hate them.

I don't know if you have them in other countries but here in the US the whole coddle the kids thing while shopping took an ugly turn some years back. I am not sure which came first but not only do you have to dodge the free range kids in the grocery store but some stores have miniature carts so that the little darlings can run up and down the aisles with a wheeled weapon of destruction capable of knocking over displays and taking adults out at the knees. Then there are the full-sized carts attached to the back of two-seater kid cars. Even the most hardly adults cannot maneuver those damn, unwieldy things around a corner. Kids love those so much they are often wailing as they ride along in their 'fun' modes of transportation

Last weekend I also encountered a guy with two free range kids and another one on some tricycle thing they brought in on their own. Facepalm

Going to the grocery store is now a horror of un-parented little darlings. And I am supposed to feel bad because I don't think it's cute.

Sadly, it's not usually the kid that's the problem...it's the lack of parental control that's the problem.

[Image: disgusted-mother-of-god.jpg]

No we have nothing like that here. Thank fucking god. That seriously sounds like a health and safety nightmare. I'm surprised stores there allow for that, it sounds like a lawsuit just waiting to happen. I mean we don't let kids ride around on bikes and scooters for the reason that they could bowl someone over. Hell, I go to the grocery store and there's sometimes a friendly reminder over the radio asking that parents please keep control of the trolley at all times, even when children are pushing it.
25-04-2017, 11:51 PM
(25-04-2017 11:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 11:05 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yip, the worst part about children (apart from the "ohhh you'll change your mind and have children later" bullshit people preach) is the parents. Or should I say, the lack of parenting.

Hate them.

I'm pretty sure I was a free range kid, I mean I was a Latchkey kid for sure. (When I wasn't being beat up, I was pretty much left to do whatever the fuck I wanted as long as I didn't cause trouble)

I never acted like that. (well ok there was this one time I did dough-nuts in the school parking lot in my truck and some old guy got pissed at me. He was looking for my license plate number to report me, it was in the back window and at the time I was standing in the bed of my truck covering it up listening to him piss n moan. Eventually he gave up and walked away while I flipped him the fuck you finger and laughed my ass off at him....) OK FINE I prolly have a lot more stories like that >.> but still. I behaved in a grocery store and restaurant at least. I feel bad for any kid that can't cut loose now n again.

Then again I NEVER caused trouble where my parents could find out. Holy fucking shit, I got my ass beat often enough I sure as hell would never act up in a store with my parents around. They wouldn't even care that people were watching they'd pull a gun or a knife or grab the nearest blunt object and beat me half to death with it in front of everyone. NOPE not taking that risk.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin