Poll: Should children always obey you, no matter what you tell them?
Yes, "Because I said so" is all that's necessary
No, I want my children to grow up to be hippies
[Show Results]

Are Children Slaves?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2011, 01:49 PM
RE: Are Children Slaves?
I'd personally prefer if my child understood the reason that running into the middle of a busy road is a bad idea. If they're too young to understand, maybe I should keep a better eye on them.

I know not everyone feels this way, but I cannot possibly imagine myself hurting any child, let alone my own. I remember what it feels like to be spanked, and I will never do it my children. Positive reinforcement and negative punishment work much better than positive punishment.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Smooshmonster's post
06-12-2011, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2011 03:58 PM by Peterkin.)
(06-12-2011 01:49 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  I'd personally prefer if my child understood the reason that running into the middle of a busy road is a bad idea. If they're too young to understand, maybe I should keep a better eye on them.

Everyone would prefer that their children understand things, but sometimes the children are not ready to understand. That's why they have parents. And, yes, by all means, keep a better eye on them... or be imperfect for one second, get distracted, get a cramp, lose your grip, and mourn that child for the rest of your life. I've seen this exact situation in the real world. The kid got loose, the mother shouted, the kid ignored her, and got hit by a car. Fortunately, the driver was vigilant enough to swerve and thus minimize the damage to a couple of broken bones.

That child would have been better off if she respected her mother. I never said you should hurt them. I asked how you go about making them understand the difference between a suggestion, a warning, a discussion and a command? For their own safety, it's imperative to make that distinction early. How, and in what format, do you convince them that, in some situations, the parent needs to be in charge?
Not telling you what to do; asking you how it ought to be done.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
06-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Usually when the term "slavery" appears, rational debate and critical thinking GTFO and emotion takes over.

Children are an identity enhancement and a by-product of the universal count. Do with them what you will, just keep 'em outta my hair. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
06-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Interesting question. PETA is working on freeing whales and dolphins from water parks like Sea World based on slavery outlined in the Constitution. Surprising they didn't jump on this issue first seeing as how a child is actually a person.

I personally believe that minors have no rights as long as they are in the care of parents. You do what I say when I say it. You have privelages, not rights. Not in a dick way though.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
06-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Aside from the person/ animal distinction, there is another difference. If a whale or dolphin is let loose in the ocean, what happens to it? If a child is let loose in the - okay, not the ocean, give 'em a break and make it dry land - what happens to it?

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
07-12-2011, 05:13 AM
I understand that my kids are dependent on me, but that doesn't give me power over them. They are still people, tiny little helpless people, but people nonetheless, and they should be respected and protected.

I know the question was posed in a very extreme way. I don't think anyone is saying children are slaves. But children do have rights, and they should be made aware of these rights.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post
07-12-2011, 08:58 AM
(07-12-2011 05:13 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  I understand that my kids are dependent on me, but that doesn't give me power over them. They are still people, tiny little helpless people, but people nonetheless, and they should be respected and protected.

I know the question was posed in a very extreme way. I don't think anyone is saying children are slaves. But children do have rights, and they should be made aware of these rights.

I agree and disagree. My daughter doesn't have free speech for example. In society we can mock and discredit our leaders without fear of punishment. Let my daughter pocketdial me one day and me hear her mocking me to her friends. I won't tolerate disrespect like that. When it comes to my kids I am the dictator.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Children are not all the same. It's so easy to say "They are people" which is indisputably true, but begs the question of a definition of personhood, of the rights and responsibilities and capabilities of "people". It's utterly facile to say "tiny helpless people", in the full knowledge that "children" range from age 0 to 18; 2.5 lb. to 300 lb; 8" to 80"; shitting, crying, eating machines with very limited cognitive capacity at one end of the spectrum; possible nympho- or homicidal maniacs, or geniuses, Olympic athletes, sneak-thieves, or damn near anything, at the other. Imagining children as a single, undifferentiated lump of humanity that can all be treated the same way in all circumstances is simply that: imagining.
And, of course, you have no frickin idea how you yourself will react in an unforeseen situation.

As for societal rules, we already have them. Laws regarding children's rights and what can and can't be done to to them, what they are are and are not allowed to do; law enforcement offices and social agencies to deal with abuses and abusers and child victims. The laws vary from one country and state to another, funding for the agencies may be piss-poor in some districts, intervention may be conducted inappropriately in some - but it's not as if responsible people have never grappled with this issue.

[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
07-12-2011, 11:54 AM
(07-12-2011 05:13 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  I understand that my kids are dependent on me, but that doesn't give me power over them. They are still people, tiny little helpless people, but people nonetheless, and they should be respected and protected.

I agree with you. The fact children are helpless and entrusted to our care doesn't mean we adults should take advantage of the situation. They are still people, with the same right to dignity as everybody else. I can understand how easy it is to take advantage of a situation of power, but I also find it extremely sad.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
07-12-2011, 01:10 PM
(07-12-2011 11:54 AM)sy2502 Wrote:  

I agree with you. The fact children are helpless and entrusted to our care doesn't mean we adults should take advantage of the situation. They are still people, with the same right to dignity as everybody else. I can understand how easy it is to take advantage of a situation of power, but I also find it extremely sad.

It's the difference between being a feared dictator or a respected dictator.

-Mark Twain