Are Christian Schools Always Bad?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Are Christian Schools Always Bad?
My nephew is 5 years old and has started school. He was in school last year (Pre-K). It was a completely public school. However it was a school that had a lot of kids from the ghetto or the "bad part of town". He hated that school. My sister and her husband don't have the financial means to send him to a completely private school. I should point out that my sister and husband are devout Christians who attend church weekly. My sister believes in creationism. I should point out that she believes in "old Earth creationism" so she's not a complete Bible literalist. Anyway, she managed to get my nephew into a Christian charter school that's being subsidized by tax money. She only has to pay around $100 a month for his tuition. I know folks outside the USA may not know about how our charter schools work but you can Google it if you want to know more. So my point is that this Christian school is far better than the public school except for the religious part. His teacher is very caring for her students. My nephew had a seizure recently and the teacher took the time to visit him at the hospital. The curriculum is fairly standard except that they do have a class devoted to Christianity. My nephew has stated that he likes his "new school" better than the old one. He had trouble at his old school. I know a lot of people in the USA don't like that these religious schools are being subsidized with tax money but in my nephew's case I think it worked out for the better. Of course his religious school isn't exactly a Christian Fundamentalist school. It's just like a regular school with a Sunday School component. I'd rather him be in a good school where he will learn basic reading and math, and science. I don't know that evolution is an issue yet as that's a more advanced lesson that's typically taught to older students. So, do you think it's better to go to a good school with a religious component to it or a not-so-good school that is completely secular?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2014, 01:37 PM
RE: Are Christian Schools Always Bad?
The public schools have all been taken over by liberals. Glad to see your nephew got out out of there. Christian schools are always better then public ones.

Quote:The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Psalm 14:1
10-10-2014, 01:40 PM
(10-10-2014 01:32 PM)matt1162 Wrote:  My nephew is 5 years old and has started school. He was in school last year (Pre-K). It was a completely public school. However it was a school that had a lot of kids from the ghetto or the "bad part of town". He hated that school. My sister and her husband don't have the financial means to send him to a completely private school. I should point out that my sister and husband are devout Christians who attend church weekly. My sister believes in creationism. I should point out that she believes in "old Earth creationism" so she's not a complete Bible literalist. Anyway, she managed to get my nephew into a Christian charter school that's being subsidized by tax money. She only has to pay around $100 a month for his tuition. I know folks outside the USA may not know about how our charter schools work but you can Google it if you want to know more. So my point is that this Christian school is far better than the public school except for the religious part. His teacher is very caring for her students. My nephew had a seizure recently and the teacher took the time to visit him at the hospital. The curriculum is fairly standard except that they do have a class devoted to Christianity. My nephew has stated that he likes his "new school" better than the old one. He had trouble at his old school. I know a lot of people in the USA don't like that these religious schools are being subsidized with tax money but in my nephew's case I think it worked out for the better. Of course his religious school isn't exactly a Christian Fundamentalist school. It's just like a regular school with a Sunday School component. I'd rather him be in a good school where he will learn basic reading and math, and science. I don't know that evolution is an issue yet as that's a more advanced lesson that's typically taught to older students. So, do you think it's better to go to a good school with a religious component to it or a not-so-good school that is completely secular?

All things being equal, I'd say a Christian school is worse than a secular school. But this isn't an all-things-equal case. So, I'd say it depends on the way in which the school is Christian.

How strong and accurate is its science curriculum? How pushy are the religion classes? What sort of punishments does questioning the faith carry? If he discovers in 6th grade that he's gay, what would the consequences of that be?

If the basics being taught (English, math, science, history) are done well and with little religious pollution, and if the environment is safer than the secular alternative, I'd say he's better off there. Especially considering how his mom is a Christian herself, and he'd likely be getting raised in the faith anyway.

... oh, and also, he's your sister's kid. You're the opinionated peanut-gallery that MIGHT, if you're lucky, get listened to if you have solid advice. Nothing more.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
10-10-2014, 01:47 PM
For what it's worth, I went to a christian school.

Admittedly it was Church of England so it doesn't really count.

Reltzik is right. Check out the dogma-level.

And don't listen to hell-boy. He was home-schooled.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-10-2014, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2014 01:53 PM by wazzel.)
It really is a school by school decisions. Here the private catholic schools are better than the public schools by a significant bit. School is also a safer environment for the kids. Outside of class kids are doing the same crap, but I do not have to worry about my kids getting jumped in the hall between class. There are some religious school out there that do a great disservice to the kids. Education suck, indoctrination is fierce, etc. There is a non-denomination school here in town I would not send my kids to under any circumstance. My kids are in the catholic school system and if you have to choose a religious school I suggest the catholic run ones. They actually teach science in science class and the attempts at indoctrination is not to bad. In most cases they are the best schools around from an educational standpoint.

The catholic high school has the best band program in town and my kids all play music. So there is that too.

I was in the same catholic school system K-10. I finished up in the public system.
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
10-10-2014, 02:01 PM
no

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
10-10-2014, 02:04 PM
my kids were in an epsicopal school for a year. (catholic light).

it became too much for me after a year, but now my kids are very outspoken about religion. they have seen first hand what indoctrination looks like and what it doesnt and they don't want any part of it.

i guess it worked kind of like a vaccine, give them a small dose and it will keep them immune for life Angel

we ended up moving to solve our school issues.

If I had to choose, I agree with wazzel, and in the US Catholic schools are probably the best to choose as far as indoctrination.

ask if they take standardized tests with scores compared on a national level, are they accredited,

just keep asking him questions- why does he hold that opinion? how does he know? where is the evidence? even on the little things, it will get his brain thinking logically for when the big topics come along.

Catholic schools teach evolution, so that helps in the science dept.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
10-10-2014, 02:09 PM
(10-10-2014 01:37 PM)hell-lover Wrote:  The public schools have all been taken over by liberals. Glad to see your nephew got out out of there. Christian schools are always better then public ones.
Always does not apply on this. Sometimes the best schools in town are run by religious organizations, particularly the catholic church. Often times they are also the worst schools in town. Evangelical schools have been known to teach church doctrine in place of science and history or just teach those subjects incorrectly.
10-10-2014, 02:09 PM
As long as indoctrination does not happen and sunday school is not pushed onto them by the teacher or peer pressure and is optional. It would be better then a ghetto school if the school is following the federal and state requirements.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
10-10-2014, 02:14 PM
(10-10-2014 02:09 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  As long as indoctrination does not happen and sunday school is not pushed onto them by the teacher or peer pressure and is optional. It would be better then a ghetto school if the school is following the federal and state requirements.

All the schools I have looked at in my area had a weekly chapel for about an hour, and some classroom work (30 min), as well as regular class lessons, sometimes with a religious twist thrown in for confusion. Usually science, history, social studies classes.

safety is always the first concern, but curriculum matters too.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller