Are Christian Schools Always Bad?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2014, 06:21 PM
RE: Are Christian Schools Always Bad?
No they're not always bad, as long as the teacher is not an insane nut-bag, (the evil sort that hell-lover would be). What's important is he's comfortable there. Sounds like this year is going to be fine, .. just keep an eye who's class he gets put in, in the future. You'll find a few other parents to talk to about who is a crazy, and who is good, so you can avoid the bad ones, who delight in scaring children about things like hell ... and you can talk about what he gets taught, at home, so he understands it's good for him to question everything he hears.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-10-2014, 06:52 PM
My son goes to a title I school. They get extra federal funds because 80% of the school is below the poverty line. That has provided the school with additional resources.

I was worried at first when I saw all the methed out moms etc. But you know what? He's five, and so are all of the other sweet children. He is getting a great education and has an enthusiastic teacher with ten years of kindergarten experience who sends her own kids to the same school. He occasionally gets in trouble when the class is doing group work with reading and he's way ahead, but other than that it's been great for him and he has learned a lot. His teacher makes an effort during the day to do small groups with similar abilities/reading levels to keep the more advanced children occupied. They have title I teachers to help bring the kids that didn't go to preschool "up to speed". I have no complaints.

To answer the question in the title of the thread, there are some fantastic Christian schools out there. If we were to move to New Orleans (we looked at that last year), we would have placed our son in a private Christian school if we couldn't get him into the charter school of our choice.

There are "some" evangelical schools that are questionable. You just need to look at the science curricula.

If public school A puts out kids that score an average 16 on the ACT and private school B has an average 30 on the ACT, that would be a no brainer for me.. Honestly, even if Private School B teaches young earth creationism, I'd probably still send him, and teach him about evolution at home. In my town it's about equal, so there's no way I'd pay for private school.

Even if you send the child to a Christian school and lead a secular life at home, the Christian education will lend understanding to a vast number of literary works. At least it's what I'm telling myself by my son going to Sunday school with his dad. Dodgy I'm trying to be optimistic and find the silver lining.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
10-10-2014, 07:44 PM
My little brother is autistic. So the choice of a school was very important. He's thriving in a Christian school, (but he's well on his way to being another Bucky Weeping ). He's come a long way. The public school here is full of entitled little spoiled brats so we had to do something else. The thing that brought him out of his autism the most, was first, all the animals we have ... he became their "keeper" ... he has an amazing way with them. Then the kids in his school are amazing. They could have been mean, but they're really quite understanding. He's not really any different any more, and has lots of friends now. He's very smart, but was very shy at first. No one was mean, (which actually surprised us). It's an Episcopalian school, with a really good reputation, so they get no "Evangelical" nonsense. It's kind of funny, there is a new First Grader this year who apparently is autistic also, and a lot more severe. Somehow my brother noticed him, and just like the animals, has turned him into his "project".
(He took my dog today for "show and tell") ... OF COURSE THAT was a hit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-10-2014, 08:54 PM
My nephew has Aspberger's and the move to a Catholic school from a public school was the right thing for him.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
10-10-2014, 09:01 PM
(10-10-2014 08:54 PM)Anjele Wrote:  My nephew has Aspberger's and the move to a Catholic school from a public school was the right thing for him.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
11-10-2014, 05:34 AM
(10-10-2014 09:01 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 08:54 PM)Anjele Wrote:  My nephew has Aspberger's and the move to a Catholic school from a public school was the right thing for him.

I really liked this 'promo' on PBS about that show.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2014, 09:24 AM
My kids were exposed to more evagelical religious crap when they were in the cypress public school district ( Houston burb) than they are now in a catholic school.

Nurse if you do end up in NO stay away from the public schools they suck. I live about an hour south of the city.
11-10-2014, 02:01 PM
(10-10-2014 06:11 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 02:14 PM)wazzel Wrote:  If you send your kids to a religious school you need to accept a certain amount of religious education and events. My kids are required to take one religion class and go to mass with the school. No one is forcing them to believe or be involved outside of the one class and school mass, they just have to go through the motions at school.

...I dont have kids. Sad

No woman has ever even let me take them out on a date before.

Weeping
I am happy and sad for you.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
13-10-2014, 07:03 PM
(10-10-2014 01:40 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  ... oh, and also, he's your sister's kid. You're the opinionated peanut-gallery that MIGHT, if you're lucky, get listened to if you have solid advice. Nothing more.

I'm also his god father. My sister is 45 and his father is 52. I could end up raising him at some point.
13-10-2014, 07:15 PM
(13-10-2014 07:03 PM)matt1162 Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 01:40 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  ... oh, and also, he's your sister's kid. You're the opinionated peanut-gallery that MIGHT, if you're lucky, get listened to if you have solid advice. Nothing more.

I'm also his god father. My sister is 45 and his father is 52. I could end up raising him at some point.

My mom was actually older than 45 and my dad was about 50 when they got me, and I was five at the time. They could raise the kid themselves.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.