Are Christians Selfish?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2011, 06:14 AM
RE: Are Christians Selfish?
I think there is a difference between religion and religious people. Religion is man made. An organized religion like Islam or Catholicism is made by men and prone to the same trappings of power. Look at atrocities done in the name of religion by those organized groups.

But I think people have every right to have their own faiths. Just like we have our right to not believe in something.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2011, 10:58 AM

Everyone is selfish. However, I couldn't be so selfish to believe in a god for the sake of an afterlife - or to avoid punishment in the claimed afterlife. Likewise, I couldn't possibly accept someone else paying for my sins (or wrong doings). Christians, of course, do believe in a god while hoping for an afterlife; they also have no problem with Jesus paying for their sins so, to avoid the threat of punishment, selfishly believe in Jesus. Obviously, Christianity - and other religions - appeals to those who are extremely selfish. Which is quite ironic considering Christians are supposed to be 'selfless'.
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Selfish, you say?

http://www.news-journal.com/opinion/arti...mode=story

All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.
-- It keeps me warm.
Find all posts by this user
12-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Quote:That's just good old fashioned fearmongering.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

You are incorrect, that is an observation I see over and over again, in history books and in the public media, and even in my own neighborhood! There is no fear-mongering occuring, this is a very real event that has and continues to occur, to say otherwise is to be completely oblivious, or you subsitute reality with your own (another common event I observe, but this happens in general, not more frequently among specific groups as far as I have seen).
12-02-2011, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2011 09:45 PM by Lilith Pride.)
Edit: Short sighted rant with little proof by me *bows* a more accurate statement in a later post. I choose to leave this here.
@kar98 Did anyone seriously say Christians have a monopoly on stupid? There are morons everywhere and yes they seem to win the day more often than not recently. My statement was that most people were selfish, and I gave a shout out to an exceptionally selfless Catholic. No I would never lobby for something as ludicrous as this especially when truckers aren't even paid enough to handle the diesel costs well.

Hopefully the people of this forum try to look into things and make intelligent choices. Because it's quite obvious that most of America cannot be efficiently equipped with mass transit. Look at it this way there will be a huge backlash from this, and I'm sure your truck will be street legal again soon.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
12-02-2011, 09:06 PM
I see a lot of denouncing of an idea in that article, but I don't see any sort of counter-proposal, sorry, I find the author to be selfish and dare I say: short-sighted.
12-02-2011, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2011 10:06 PM by Lilith Pride.)
(12-02-2011 09:06 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  I see a lot of denouncing of an idea in that article, but I don't see any sort of counter-proposal, sorry, I find the author to be selfish and dare I say: short-sighted.
I see a pissed off trucker who wants to make a statement, because his livelihood is at stake for a government mandate that will require him to change vehicles along with pretty much every trucker out there. Yes there are better ways to make trucks now, but no not every trucker can afford to go buy a new one. This is just a really bad time to pass a law that could force millions of truckers out of their business or into negative numbers to afford regulations.

Yeah he's selfish, but at the same time knowing a lot of truckers the immediate cost can be crippling. I understand the good that will come of it, but I've been unemployed for two years and people are losing jobs left and right. Yes the bill proposes something wonderful, but at the current time it will be tough for everyone to meet these new regulations.

I don't consider selfish to work one way I see it all the time. I also have met few truckers who talk any different than that guy so I didn't care that much about his tone. I don't feel the standards are unjust I just feel it's a really tough time to bring them in. Also my mass transit statement had to do with the fact that some people don't really have a second vehicle option so they'll need a vehicle either way. I have family with only trucks in rural areas of Missouri.

Thanks for catching me though Ketola I needed to explain my opinion further (yeah I know you never mentioned me =p)

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
12-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Perhaps a less radical bill (I have not seen a link to this bill you are refering to, maybe I overlooked it, I've had a long day). It is rediculous to put such an overhaul in high speed, you need time for people to adjust, let the old trucks die, the trucks do need to get replaced at some point, and when they do, they should be with more effecient trucks, but we should no make the old ones illegal.

I do not completely disagree with him, he is right to denounce the idea, but without some sort of idea of what we do need (even a loose idea), the article loses substance.

Thank you for explaining your opinion further Wink
12-02-2011, 11:40 PM
(12-02-2011 09:06 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  I see a lot of denouncing of an idea in that article, but I don't see any sort of counter-proposal, sorry, I find the author to be selfish and dare I say: short-sighted.

THAT was my point.

All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.
-- It keeps me warm.
13-02-2011, 09:57 AM
He did offer a counter-proposal, though: leave things exactly as they are.

I see this the way LP does; this is a statement from a guy who needs to put food on the table, keep a roof over head, and generally provide for his family and fears he will no longer be able to do that. He's angry and he's scared because people who have no idea how he lives or pays his bills are making decisions that impact him without giving him a second though about it. I'd be fairly pissed too.

And, this notion that he's selfish because he won't take one for the team while the rest of the world goes about its business is, to me at least, extremely unfair. His sights go no further then his immediate economic reality, which makes him no different then anyone else.

There are two problems with climate change arguments in my humble opinion: the first is that the people who fear the economic impacts don't want to discuss the science because it may be true; the second is the people who fear what the science tells us don't want to discuss the the economic impacts because it may be true. What you get is two sides of the debate that just call the other side liars, out of touch, etc. and no real discussion ever happens.

As for the original question: yes, Christians are selfish. I know this because they are people and people are inherently selfish. If you replace the word "Christians" with any other group you can think of (Jew, Muslims, poker players, people who collect rocks, Elvis fans, etc.), the answer is still "yes". Obviously there are always individual exceptions to the rule (Mother Theresa comes to mind) but, as a rule, we are selfish beings. It's all part of our general charm I guess.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost