Are Internet Forums for Old People?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Are Internet Forums for Old People?
Alexa has recently put age data behind subscription fees, but I remember seeing how sites that use a tradional message board format usually have an older userbase. The young people are spending their time on youtube, twitter or tumblr rather than boring old forums.

Does anyone else think this is the case?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mylittlepretender's post
14-08-2013, 11:44 AM
RE: Are Internet Forums for Old People?
(14-08-2013 11:02 AM)mylittlepretender Wrote:  Alexa has recently put age data behind subscription fees, but I remember seeing how sites that use a tradional message board format usually have an older userbase. The young people are spending their time on youtube, twitter or tumblr rather than boring old forums.

This site has a preponderance of younger members.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
14-08-2013, 12:01 PM
(14-08-2013 11:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-08-2013 11:02 AM)mylittlepretender Wrote:  Alexa has recently put age data behind subscription fees, but I remember seeing how sites that use a tradional message board format usually have an older userbase. The young people are spending their time on youtube, twitter or tumblr rather than boring old forums.

This site has a preponderance of younger members.

Well, this site aims for a different demographic than the other forums I was thinking of. Still, I'd imagine that 40% of the users here are under 25, as opposed to larger, more popular sites like tumblr, where at least 80% of the users are young.
14-08-2013, 12:06 PM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2013 12:46 PM by mylittlepretender.)
Come to think of it, I can think of one message board that has mostly young users. It mostly depends on what the subject is, though. I think most young people like the micro-blog format more, because it's more immediate, and it lends itself to visual rather than verbal communication.
14-08-2013, 12:07 PM
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-You-V-2-0

... this is my signature!
14-08-2013, 12:21 PM
(14-08-2013 12:07 PM)cjlr Wrote:  http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-You-V-2-0

Thanks for the link. Turns out that just a little over half of the users here are under 28. That's definitely old by web standards.
14-08-2013, 12:28 PM
28 is old?

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

14-08-2013, 12:30 PM
(14-08-2013 12:28 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  28 is old?

Well, by web standards... those of us who are almost 30 and have used the internet for a long time mostly know our experience on the internet to primarily be forums. Social media was fairly "limited" in comparison to what we have today compared to "back then" in the infant days of the internet.

I think it is safe to say that generations tend to use what they find comfortable and surrounded by their peers more than previous forms of communication. So I can certainly see why forums may not be quite as popular for the younger crowd.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
14-08-2013, 12:31 PM

On lots of websites, yes.
14-08-2013, 12:36 PM
(14-08-2013 12:31 PM)mylittlepretender Wrote:  

On lots of websites, yes.

So you are looking at teenage populations?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man