Are Internet Forums for Old People?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2014, 09:53 PM
RE: Are Internet Forums for Old People?
I hear 4-chan is all the rage for young whippersnappers, per my 13 yr old nephew. Apparently I'm old on the internet since I'm of legal voting age? This is my first time being involved with a forum - instant messenger was my social media of choice in middle and high school. Maybe a few chat rooms when I was 11/12. I was in college when Facebook started, and it was the death of using AIM with my friends, instead we'd just poke each other, throw sheep, and post fun party pics.

I haven't really spent much time online the past 7 years. I had to teach myself HTML for this site, memes are so much more fun than throwing sheep.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2014, 10:22 PM
I need to take Geritol to have enough energy to post on the forum. Maybe it's time to let the young folk have the forum. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
22-12-2014, 10:44 PM
(22-12-2014 09:53 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I hear 4-chan is all the rage for young whippersnappers, per my 13 yr old nephew. Apparently I'm old on the internet since I'm of legal voting age? This is my first time being involved with a forum - instant messenger was my social media of choice in middle and high school. Maybe a few chat rooms when I was 11/12. I was in college when Facebook started, and it was the death of using AIM with my friends, instead we'd just poke each other, throw sheep, and post fun party pics.

I haven't really spent much time online the past 7 years. I had to teach myself HTML for this site, memes are so much more fun than throwing sheep.

I feel really old after reading this. Sadcryface
22-12-2014, 10:54 PM
Anjele, Pablo,

Cheer up, come on over and we’ll play some music

[Image: akai_8trackiavscanda.com_.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
23-12-2014, 04:28 PM
(18-08-2013 07:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-08-2013 07:10 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  HAS CHAS NOT SEEN THE TELEPHONE POST I MEAN COME ON THAT WAS A GOOD POST Angry

Chas has seen it. Chas has the good manners to pretend it's not there.

Chas chooses to refer to me as 'a crazy old coot'.
Almost 73; (Jan 9)---perhaps I should leave it to the young Turks?
Those /60yos are great mentors, when it comes to
purely materialistic questions; they help the youngsters no end.
Uh oh, it's cocoa time!
23-12-2014, 05:48 PM
(14-08-2013 12:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  21 is middle-aged...28 is old...geez Louise...let me get my walker back out, hope I didn't get rid of any of the emails about mobility scooters or hip replacements.

I'm googling prospective senior sites for 2015.
Geriatrics aren't too welcome in parts of this brave new world.

Could be a whole new on line experience for Woof!Yes
23-12-2014, 05:53 PM
(23-12-2014 04:28 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  [quote='Chas' pid='363517' dateline='1376875947']

Uh oh, it's cocoa time!

Sometimes I think to myself, "if I read that post a couple more times it might make sense." Then something shiny inevitably happens.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
23-12-2014, 05:57 PM
(23-12-2014 05:53 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 04:28 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  [quote='Chas' pid='363517' dateline='1376875947']

Uh oh, it's cocoa time!

Sometimes I think to myself, "if I read that post a couple more times it might make sense." Then something shiny inevitably happens.
Crazy old coots and cootesses Oz interchange forum>>>>>sounds OK!Tongue
23-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Yes.

Forums are totally for old people only.

All of the young people that come here start going to bingo nights and Chas' knitting club meetings... It's a disease.

Sad
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
27-12-2014, 08:35 AM
The very reason I enjoy this forum is because it can have in-depth posts, youtube is an intellectual sewer, Facebook is better suited to selfies and link-based articles, you can't have very good conversations in that format, it's not even searchable.

You can find some very old threads with great information and discussions here, good luck with that on Facebook.

Tumblr? Twitter? Are you f*ing kidding me?

Even though there are many options for communication, some of them are poorly suited for anything but stream-of-conscious level of discourse. If that scares away kids from this forum, that's a definite positive. Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition