Are Internet Forums for Old People?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2014, 08:40 AM
AW: RE: Are Internet Forums for Old People?
(22-12-2014 09:53 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I hear 4-chan is all the rage for young whippersnappers, per my 13 yr old nephew.
Does your nephew like wearing fedoras? Laugh out load
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2014, 08:47 AM
RE: Are Internet Forums for Old People?
(14-08-2013 11:02 AM)mylittlepretender Wrote:  Are Internet Forums for Old People?

I think there is some bit of truth to that. I'm 62 myself, going on 14.

Forums might be called a "long form" type of media. That is, they are designed to encourage and facilitate focused ongoing conversations of some length. Older people are more used to this conversation style, given that we grew up focused on books etc.

Facebook and Twitter etc are designed more for speed of light water cooler chit chat, which is far more popular generally speaking, because it requires far less of the user. The user can get what most users are looking for, a quick ego buzz, for the least possible effort.

I like young people, I really do. But I must admit it does get painfully tiresome some times when they insist on converting EVERY site online in to a water cooler random chit chat environment, endless streams of empty little quips etc.

It would be cool if most sites could be of that nature, while a few sites could be reserved for actual thinking, you know, grandpa geezer stuff.

But, no worries, all the grandpas will be gone soon. And then every site online will be designed to accept only one two letter word at a time....

Picture the leading online service of 2050 filled with billions of people typing only, "ME!!" I will be called, Me.me! :-)

Hmm, maybe not typing, but just yelling "ME!!" in to their webcam? Or telepathically shouting "ME!!" over fiber optic enabled buttons on their shirt?

Grandpa is not sure, he has only geezer brain from the primitive times.
27-12-2014, 08:58 AM
RE: Are Internet Forums for Old People?
(27-12-2014 08:47 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(14-08-2013 11:02 AM)mylittlepretender Wrote:  Are Internet Forums for Old People?

I think there is some bit of truth to that. I'm 62 myself, going on 14.

Forums might be called a "long form" type of media. That is, they are designed to encourage and facilitate focused ongoing conversations of some length. Older people are more used to this conversation style, given that we grew up focused on books etc.

Facebook and Twitter etc are designed more for speed of light water cooler chit chat, which is far more popular generally speaking, because it requires far less of the user. The user can get what most users are looking for, a quick ego buzz, for the least possible effort.

I like young people, I really do. But I must admit it does get painfully tiresome some times when they insist on converting EVERY site online in to a water cooler random chit chat environment, endless streams of empty little quips etc.

It would be cool if most sites could be of that nature, while a few sites could be reserved for actual thinking, you know, grandpa geezer stuff.

But, no worries, all the grandpas will be gone soon. And then every site online will be designed to accept only one two letter word at a time....

Picture the leading online service of 2050 filled with billions of people typing only, "ME!!" I will be called, Me.me! :-)

Hmm, maybe not typing, but just yelling "ME!!" in to their webcam? Or telepathically shouting "ME!!" over fiber optic enabled buttons on their shirt?

Grandpa is not sure, he has only geezer brain from the primitive times.

Me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me!
[Image: Beating-a-dead-horse_zps4d06e22a.gif]

Sprinkles are for winners.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post