Are People Too Lazy for Religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Are People Too Lazy for Religion?
So...started a new job not so long ago. Been there a few weeks now. My co-worker and I have talked casually and briefly a bit. Don't remember how it got started exactly, but I remember getting asked, "So, you're an atheist?". To which I replied, "For most intents an purposes, yes". His response didn't much surprise me..."You've heard of the bible, right?". Frusty a few moments later "You know you're in the bible belt, right?". God. Fucking. Damnit. How many more stupid rhetorical question does this guy have? Ah, well. Next night, the guy tells me he is a Catholic, but doesn't know if he believes in God anymore because he has had a "rough few years", and by that he meant that his drug-addict friends were getting locked up or slowly killing themselves and his Mom had cancer. I dunno what to make of this guy. Just intellectually lazy?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2014, 09:18 AM
RE: Are People Too Lazy for Religion?
You're in Operations, right? So is your new 'friend', I guess.

Ops are trained to do, not to think.

He's in the right job. You're the one who should be moving up.

12-02-2014, 09:33 AM
(12-02-2014 09:18 AM)DLJ Wrote:  You're in Operations, right? So is your new 'friend', I guess.

Ops are trained to do, not to think.

He's in the right job. You're the one who should be moving up.

I agree that I am definitely being under-utilized. Unfortunately, I need to get some more "experience" under my belt before I move on to greener pastures. My "IT" experience in the military is iffy, as most of it was other communications; Satcom, LOS, Transceivers, Crypto, building patches, COMSEC, etc. I'm not getting the experience here either, but it will look good on paper. What I'm really doing is sitting on my ass all night, wasting time, and there is too many alpha males here as well in the same or similar boat as me. The manager likes hiring military guys cause he was a Marine and he knows we know how to follow procedures, we will dress appropriately, we know how to behave in front of bigwigs, we won't use drugs, we know how to speak respectfully, and we will show up for work. I'm bored with the way things are now. The wages aren't terrible, but I need a new challenge. May look to change things up in a half year or so. Considering my options, but I haven't ruled out traveling to another state. For the right job I'd even consider moving to Europe.

12-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Don't waste time. Read your friggin' ITIL books!

I can't say I blame the manager for hiring drones (in the bee sense, not the military sense) for Ops. Good policy, I think.

But, yup, 6-months is about right.

12-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Concerning what to make of the guy, it sounds maybe that he's tested the water with you first. He most likely knows that if he has the 'losing faith' conversation with his religious friends, he'll get a few platitudes and left to it. He may be seeking a genuine conversation with you but it sounds like he maybe isn't the most socially gifted of people and doesn't know where to begin.

I could be wrong, obviously, but it's the first thing that came to mind from the op.

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member