Are Racism and religious fundamentalism the biggest problems in the USA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Re: RE: Are Racism and religious fundamentalism the biggest problems in the USA
(07-03-2014 04:36 PM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  I think so

Racism in America? The US elected a black president and then reelected him. That doesn't come from a racist country.

Racism in America is promoted by people making money off it. It is big business.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2014, 02:33 AM
RE: Are Racism and religious fundamentalism the biggest problems in the USA
(07-03-2014 07:58 PM)KUSA Wrote:  

Racism in America? The US elected a black president and then reelected him. That doesn't come from a racist country.

Racism in America is promoted by people making money off it. It is big business.

Discrimination and inequality still exists in the United States. Women still make less than men for the same work, and the tactics of race politics used by the Tea Party work because the people they pander to are racists and sexists. Our LGBT community are still second class citizens, and atheists are the most hated and feared demographic and the least likely to get voted into public office. We still have a lot of work ahead of us here, but we do have a history of progressing forward. I just happen to think that in order to keep progressing forward with giving more rights to more of our citizens, we need to do what we can to get money out of politics to help normalize the political process. Both are problems, I just think fixing the political system takes priority, as it also affect foreign policy, education, climate change, economic regulations, etc...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
08-03-2014, 09:42 AM

I think racism is a symptom of the disease where as religion is the spreader of the disease. The real disease is unreason or faith. Religion teaches people that it is proper to form conclusions on the basis of feelings and that faith is superior to reason. Faith is a disease that cripples the mind and thus we have all of the nonsense we have today, whether it is racism or the belief that we can just keep borrowing money forever and there will be no consequences. We need to treat faith as a public health crisis. Teach people to think clearly and consistently and racism and religion will die on the vine as well as most of the other nonsense. There will always be some nonsense because we are human after all and thinking is a choice.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
08-03-2014, 11:35 AM
I agree with what everyone has said so far. The problems are general ignorance, corruption galore, massive debt, high crime/murder rate, and racism (I think I got the big ones). Now. All these are fine and dandy but they're not the source in my opinion. I think that's it's the USA's very culture that is the issue.

It's difficult to explain in words but I'll do my best.

The reason I say it's the culture is because of the state of various other countries who have similar policies (or lack thereof) don't have the same issues. prime example is the whole gun control thingy going on. Why is it that other countries don't have near the same issue with people going trigger happy? I think that particular issue is but a symptom of things fucked up further down the line.

I don't think it's just one problem. I think it's a whole CLUSTERFUCK of problems that have been around for awhile and people just kinda accept it.

But what do I know. I'm Canadian and I haven't really looked into it.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!