Are There Too Many or Too Little Female Protagonist Roles?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2017, 06:12 AM
Are There Too Many or Too Little Female Protagonist Roles?
This was often a question I kept thinking on when I would try and read books in middle school and high school. The more I looked back on it, the more I realized that almost all teen book have either a female lead role or a love interest for said female.

Now, I'm all for empowering women, but at the same time I feel as though there are more female lead roles then male. Most male books are either an older generation of books or very underread when it comes to books such as: Divergent, Hunger Games, Throne of Glass, and yes Twilight.

I feel at times that feminism and the whole 'empower women' things have gone too far in some stages. There is literally a number of books I can name that have female protagonists and only a handful I found with male, that being: Warrior Cats, Harry Potter, and Everlost.
Most of the time people have only heard one of the three I have mentioned.

Every time I browsed through the books I kept finding nothing but love triangles and female lead roles for about 80% of the time. As you can imagine, I got sick of the whole love story line fast. Taking good characters and giving them a stance that they are just love struck college/teenagers who are either doing this to get a man, or where doing this for themselves but later doing it for love.

So, is the problem that there are too many female leads who are just love struck teens?
Or too many female leads in general?
Or not enough?

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2017, 06:25 AM
RE: Are There Too Many or Too Little Female Protagonist Roles?
Never encountered such problem - I don't much care about what sex lead character is, only quality of story matter and that seems to be going down now. I used to buy books of authors who just began their writing career but after few disappointments I decided that money would be better spend elsewhere.

Perhaps consider reading older books? Or look for European ones, Eastern European that is?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
31-07-2017, 06:50 AM
I've never really cared too much what sex the lead(s) of a story was. As Szuchow said what matters to me is how they and the story pan out.

Personally I'm writing a story where the leads are a dragon-like creature and a young teenaged boy, though at first I started with a teenaged girl. A boy just suited the role better.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
31-07-2017, 07:04 AM
(31-07-2017 06:12 AM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  This was often a question I kept thinking on when I would try and read books in middle school and high school. The more I looked back on it, the more I realized that almost all teen book have either a female lead role or a love interest for said female.

Now, I'm all for empowering women, but at the same time I feel as though there are more female lead roles then male. Most male books are either an older generation of books or very underread when it comes to books such as: Divergent, Hunger Games, Throne of Glass, and yes Twilight.

I feel at times that feminism and the whole 'empower women' things have gone too far in some stages. There is literally a number of books I can name that have female protagonists and only a handful I found with male, that being: Warrior Cats, Harry Potter, and Everlost.

Every time I browsed through the books I kept finding nothing but love triangles and female lead roles for about 80% of the time. As you can imagine, I got sick of the whole love story line fast. Taking good characters and giving them a stance that they are just love struck college/teenagers who are either doing this to get a man, or where doing this for themselves but later doing it for love.

So, is the problem that there are too many female leads who are just love struck teens?
Or not enough?

The impression you get can depend on which genre you read. I have read large quantities of science fiction (overwhelmingly male), fantasy (more male than female lead characters but the emphasis has shifted in the last thirty years or so), murder mystery (primarily male; Miss Marple is buried by piles of Poirot, Nero Wolfe, Morse, Holmes, et al.), and historical novels in the age of sail (to the best of my knowledge, exclusively male, Hornblower, Aubrey, Drinkwater, Bolitho, or Kidd, for example.) Romance novels, which I do not read, are dominated by female leading characters, I believe.

On the whole, I think there are too few female protagonists.

I'm not sure that the chief characters in Saturn's Children and Neptune's Brood by Charles Stross count: they are ostensibly female, but being humanoid robots could be rehoused in a male form at any time.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

[+] 2 users Like Norm Deplume's post
31-07-2017, 07:31 AM
Perhaps there's too much and too few.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
31-07-2017, 08:42 AM
The fact that too many female protagonists are small should have no bearing on their number or character development.

(sorry: I'm a (many/few/little) count-noun-Nazi: drives me crazy!!!)

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
31-07-2017, 09:00 AM
(31-07-2017 08:42 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  The fact that too many female protagonists are small should have no bearing on their number or character development.

Not enough of these ...

[Image: book-coverjpg.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
31-07-2017, 09:23 AM
Neither too many, nor too few. It's just right.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
31-07-2017, 09:28 AM
(31-07-2017 06:12 AM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  This was often a question I kept thinking on when I would try and read books in middle school and high school. The more I looked back on it, the more I realized that almost all teen book have either a female lead role or a love interest for said female.

Or not enough?

My father used to say that women should not be allowed to write books at all. The books with female leads are mostly all written by wimmen, right? They are stuck in the old rut of girl needs boy , girl does whatever needed to finally get the guy to kiss her and the book has been fulfilled or maybe they add one more chapter where the girl actually gets dick.
01-08-2017, 02:52 PM
Damn those uppity wimmin Drinking Beverage

[Image: DGDA9FzXkAEZrj_.jpg:large]

(31-07-2017 09:00 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Not enough of these ...

[Image: book-coverjpg.jpg]

There's already too many of those. God, do I hate this sanctimonious sel-frighetous DRIVEL Censored

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post