Are We Learning From History?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2017, 06:08 PM
Plenty of times I have heard the idea that History is recorded so we can learn from it. However lately, as I watch the news here in America, I keep noticing how we are slowly repeating what we done in the past.

Strange thing is my history teacher who told me this was a heavy Republican, you know the kind who used the slippery slope argument for a number of debates. Yet, most of what he said, attack ISIS could be a direct parallel to when he entered the war in Vietnam, we don't know our enemy.

All this lead up to a single thought, how much longer until the American Empire falls? (Many countries would consider the US a empire.) Seems the US is on a slow spiral down the drain, I'm not sure how much longer my nation has, much less if we can pull ourselves out of this.

I want to hear your thoughts. Is America going to fall like all big empires or nations do one way or another? Or, will it pull itself out of this? Also, are we learning from history like we should, or is history truly doomed to be repeated.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2017, 06:14 PM
RE: Are We Learning From History?
The American "Empire" has been on it's death bed since 1887 if you read the papers. I wouldn't call it dead until the screen actually shows a flat-line.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-03-2017, 07:07 PM
What is your standard to declare a nation or an empire "fallen" or "dead"?

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
26-03-2017, 07:30 PM
All there is for people to learn from history is that people do not learn from history.

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
[+] 3 users Like M. Linoge's post
26-03-2017, 07:52 PM
People can't learn from history because they don't learn history.
[+] 5 users Like I'mFred's post
27-03-2017, 01:22 AM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2017 01:28 AM by Szuchow.)
If USA is empire then it would fall or evolve as there is no reason for it to be immune to winds of history.

I don't think that we learn from history, at best people remember slogans. After Shoah it was "never again" yet genocide happens again and again and there isn't many who would be really interested in stopping such. Putin and Ukraine was allegedly similar to actions taken in Hitler era, yet there was no serious action. It's one thing to say that we learn from history but acting such takes real effort, effort people and countries prefer to avoid.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
27-03-2017, 02:27 AM
There's no doubt that America will follow the path trodden by other empires, to my mind. Paul Kennedy outlines the phenomenon quite well in his book The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers, and while some might view that book's age as a drawback, I find it not only well-written, documented, and tabulated, but remarkably prescient as well. It seems that the intervening thirty years have gone to support Professor Kennedy's hypothesis, in many ways.

No country is immune to the tides of history.
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
27-03-2017, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2017 09:40 AM by Ruby Crystal.)
(26-03-2017 07:07 PM)epronovost Wrote:  What is your standard to declare a nation or an empire "fallen" or "dead"?

Let's see, most empires have a lot of land and a powerful military under their rule. A large population along with the most ties in the world and hold the most power. Throughout history empires have held the most wealth and resources, have conquered and most other countries tend to depend heavily on the empires success, sometimes they may not even but under heavy rule, but the government may still regulate the place or 'watch' the place and can still prosper form getitng most of the resources from there.
Definition: "an aggregate of nations or people ruled over by an emperor or other powerful sovereign or government, usually a territory of greater extent than a kingdom."

Now, empires of the past might be different form how times are now. But, I can say I think most people are just like they were int he past. We have not 'evolved' so to put it, we are all still under the govern rules of Fight or Flight.
Many people in the world see the US as an empire, and are just quietly waiting for it to fall. At least, that's what I heard and read up on.

(Every time I bring up the US is possibly an empire, why does everyone suddenly get upset at that analogy? Seems pretty accurate, not by much for the times we live in, but it makes sense.)

Pretty much to be 'fallen' or 'dead' would be if the empire has their land and power taken from them. Barely holding onto the golden days. And the US is slowly having their privileges over other countries taken from them. By other definitions, the US is already dead.

It's funny when I told my friends the US in an empire, they suddenly said 'Republic not Empire.' I think that's because all empires fall and everyone in my area of the south hates to think there preciouse America will fall like all empires.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
28-03-2017, 08:51 AM
(26-03-2017 07:52 PM)ImFred Wrote:  People can't learn from history because they don't learn history.

This.

A large portion of people think the Bible is real history; so how can you even work with that?
28-03-2017, 08:59 AM
(26-03-2017 06:08 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  I want to hear your thoughts. Is America going to fall like all big empires or nations do one way or another? Or, will it pull itself out of this? Also, are we learning from history like we should, or is history truly doomed to be repeated.

In my mind it will become less and less important. It might fall under the weight of it's own population, no longer being content with being left out when their rax dollars are spent on things they don't support and don't benefit from.

That's not to say, it will collapse, just change. When the millenials finally make up the majority of the people, priorities may shift to something actually benefitting the people. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I consider this travesty of an administration one of the last throes of hardcore conservatism.

History is never repeated nor has anyone ever learned from it. We will have wars and power struggles as long as humanity exists and as long as there isn't an outside event uniting us. That may be another dinosaur killer on the horizon or and alien invasion. Not something I consider likely in our times.
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post