Are You Left, Right, or Neutral?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2017, 04:36 PM
Are You Left, Right, or Neutral?
Simple question, I myself an neutral. For a variety of reasons after going from angry theist who gulped down every bit of conservative propaganda. Or the confused atheist who thought liberal were right. To the person now that looks at the world and realizes there are both good and bad ideas.

A conversation I had a while back with my parents prompted me to understand politics more. I was asked if I was 'Conversation or Liberal'.
To which I responded, "I am neither."

This got me into an argument of how you can not be 'Neutral' on the Left or Right, that now, at least in America, you have to be one or the other. I even have this very strong memory of me in Government Class being told by a very conservative teacher that 'There is no such thing as True Neutral in politics.'

However, for me, every test he gave us gave everyone in my class a Left or Right side, but I always ended up on the middle of the spectrum. (To which it annoyed my teacher to no end, but what do you expect?)

I don't think we will ever get the point that everything is handed to us. While I find the far rights claims of how it'll be like the 'Soviet Union' to be laughable at best. Everything is going to have a cost for those of us who can afford the cost. However, I do think we need the point where those who can't afford the cost to have a means of getting the basic needs as humans.
Workers are needed to keep the economy going, it's basic government and finance workings. Workers do the job, get paid, and spend back into the company. It's basically a cycle. However, basic needs should be outrageously expensive, brand names are just the same product only claiming to have better outcomes then other brands.

The who Big vs Small Government is another I find myself neutral on. A small government wouldn't be able to provide us with the protection and needs we need. It was what we were founded on those, 'For the People' is a common thing brought up by both sides, only twisted to meet there fews.
A big government would not be ideal either as the phase 'Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely' is very true. And it's been shown time and time again the government is corrupt and will stay that way due to the people in power we elect. No matter their leaning, they will do what they think will lean in their favor.

Then there are the small things, how right wingers tend to vote in favor of those who are clearly racist, homophobic, and have some pretty cringe worthy ideas on how America should be.
Left wingers tend of vote in favor of the idea of Political correctness, which in itself is just stupid, blindness to true problems in the world, and cover ups of what they deem to be racism from immigrants. True not all immigrants are evil and are looking for a better life, but there are those who are here to harm us.

I stand of the ground of neither left nor right. But in society we are pressured to be one or the other and embrace the darker stigma that comes with that label.
How all right wingers are racist, homophobic, assholes.
How all left wingers are idiots, hippies, druggies, and lazy people.

How we are told that their are no such thing as neutral people, and you are either conservative or liberal, you are right or left, you are republican or democrat.

But, that is just from my view alone and from what I have experience in my short life thus far. So what are you, do you find the right to favor your ideals, the left, or do you see both are just not your style?

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2017, 04:54 PM
RE: Are You Left, Right, or Neutral?
Couldn't tell you. I'm me. I guess my biggest motto might go something like this...

The wonderful thing about tiggers
Is tiggers are wonderful things!
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs!
They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about tiggers is
I'm the only one
Tiggers are cuddly fellas
Tiggers are awfully sweet
Ev'ryone el-us is jealous
That's why I repeat... and repeat
The wonderful thing about tiggers
Is tiggers are marvelous claps!
They're loaded with vim and vigor
They love to leap in your laps!
They're jumpy, bumpy, clumpy, thumpy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about tiggers is
I'm the only one
I-I-I'm , the only... oof!

But then I've kinda hinted at a possible answer several times before on this forum. I judge specific problems and solutions on their own merits and not by some ideological tape measure. And I am not a fan of letting anyone think for me.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post
09-07-2017, 04:58 PM
However, asking if people are left or right, kinda seems like it might draw people to take ideological sides and close their minds before they even consider what you're really driving at in the OP Ruby...

I for one do not think the US should have a 2 party system. I'm very much in favor of a multi party system, campaign reform too ect. I think it's bad that so many people here think everyone should fit into a this or that system. Either you're red or your blue (though I highly recommend the TV show red vs blue based on the old Halo game).

You might get a more productive discussion if you work on the framing and phrasing of your message a bit. Hope that helps at least a little.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
09-07-2017, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2017 05:29 PM by Rockblossom.)
Um. I'm mostly a Centrist, or a Moderate. I'm registered as an Independent, because I live in a state with open primaries. But I am rarely "neutral" on specific issues - I do have (what I hope are) informed opinions on key issues of government, and I vote on issues and how candidates respond to them.

Here's a test to see where you are on the political spectrum. (It's long):
https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

I've taken a number of these tests, and I always end up in roughly the same spot: about halfway down the "libertarian" axis, and just a smidgen to the left. I keep landing right on top of the Dali Lama. (Which is a little awkward. Good thing he has a great sense of humor. Big Grin )

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 4 users Like Rockblossom's post
09-07-2017, 05:15 PM
I'm politically celibate.

That is, as far as politics go, I really don't give a fuck.

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
09-07-2017, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2017 06:14 PM by cactus.)
I'm not a fan of words that refer to multiple mutually exclusive concepts at the same time, so... N/A I guess Undecided

Political compass test told me I was about a Gandhi or a Dalai Lama, but if I were making a political test like that, each question would be its own axis, and I'd have to plot it onto a radial chart instead of an XY plane.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
09-07-2017, 06:49 PM
I campaigned for LBJ in 1964.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2017, 07:57 PM
I refer to myself as a Conservative Libertarian. I think our Constitution and Bill of Rights is as good as it gets in regards to protecting individual liberty, while holding states with their own rights together under a central government that has limited powers and I support Constitutionalists when I can vote for them.

I think that many elected officials fall into a neutral category, but find themselves forced into a media-made box that defines them for the citizenry in terms such as you used. And from there we are forced into boxes ourselves.

I am a free thinker and that allows for a multitude of attitudes and opinions, most of which are considered just plain wrong according to those who allow themselves to get forced into a box.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
09-07-2017, 08:38 PM
(09-07-2017 04:36 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  So what are you, do you find the right to favor your ideals, the left, or do you see both are just not your style?

I used to be in the middle, to the point where I didn't even bother to vote until I was in my late forties. Now I am most definitely on the left. These days I find it impossible to believe that the right does not lie about its opposition and the facts all the time. And you can't compromise with liars.
09-07-2017, 10:34 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2017 11:52 PM by epronovost.)
Considering my positions on most if not all issues, I would be qualified as a member of the far Left and mostly centrist in authoritarian vs libertarian scale (a little bit more toward the libertarian than the authoritarian).

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.