Are You Left, Right, or Neutral?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2017, 05:05 PM
RE: Are You Left, Right, or Neutral?
(09-07-2017 05:06 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  Um. I'm mostly a Centrist, or a Moderate. I'm registered as an Independent, because I live in a state with open primaries. But I am rarely "neutral" on specific issues - I do have (what I hope are) informed opinions on key issues of government, and I vote on issues and how candidates respond to them.

Here's a test to see where you are on the political spectrum. (It's long):
https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

I've taken a number of these tests, and I always end up in roughly the same spot: about halfway down the "libertarian" axis, and just a smidgen to the left. I keep landing right on top of the Dali Lama. (Which is a little awkward. Good thing he has a great sense of humor. Big Grin )

I had trouble with this one: "Our race has many superior qualities, compared with other races."

Assuming this survey to have been created by a human being, I'm at something of a loss as to which other "race" he/she intends for me to compare to the human race. Martians? Zeta reticulans? Or is "race" meant as a stand in for "species", in which case I need to consider the relative assets of, say, humans versus rhesus monkeys. Consider

I also don't like the choices for many of the questions: "strongly disagree; disagree; agree; strongly agree" -- I would argue for a fifth choice, either "none of the above", or "neither agree nor disagree". So maybe I am closer to where Ruby is at than I thought. Nearly all of the questions assume the necessity of some form of government; I disagree with that basic premise, and so don't really "agree" or "disagree" with many of the statements.

Still, the survey placed me pretty well, I think: way at the bottom, just a little left of the "anarchist" point on the vertical axis. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dr H's post
10-07-2017, 05:07 PM
(09-07-2017 05:15 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'm politically celibate.

Does that hurt? Ohmy

--
Dr H

10-07-2017, 05:09 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2017 05:54 PM by Rockblossom.)
(10-07-2017 05:05 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 05:06 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  Um. I'm mostly a Centrist, or a Moderate. I'm registered as an Independent, because I live in a state with open primaries. But I am rarely "neutral" on specific issues - I do have (what I hope are) informed opinions on key issues of government, and I vote on issues and how candidates respond to them.

Here's a test to see where you are on the political spectrum. (It's long):
https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

I've taken a number of these tests, and I always end up in roughly the same spot: about halfway down the "libertarian" axis, and just a smidgen to the left. I keep landing right on top of the Dali Lama. (Which is a little awkward. Good thing he has a great sense of humor. Big Grin )

I had trouble with this one: "Our race has many superior qualities, compared with other races."

Assuming this survey to have been created by a human being, I'm at something of a loss as to which other "race" he/she intends for me to compare to the human race. Martians? Zeta reticulans? Or is "race" meant as a stand in for "species", in which case I need to consider the relative assets of, say, humans versus rhesus monkeys. Consider

I also don't like the choices for many of the questions: "strongly disagree; disagree; agree; strongly agree" -- I would argue for a fifth choice, either "none of the above", or "neither agree nor disagree". So maybe I am closer to where Ruby is at than I thought. Nearly all of the questions assume the necessity of some form of government; I disagree with that basic premise, and so don't really "agree" or "disagree" with many of the statements.

Still, the survey placed me pretty well, I think: way at the bottom, just a little left of the "anarchist" point on the vertical axis. Wink

That would probably make you a slightly left-leaning libertarian Contrarian. Laugh out load
10-07-2017, 05:11 PM
(09-07-2017 07:57 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  I refer to myself as a Conservative Libertarian. I think our Constitution and Bill of Rights is as good as it gets in regards to protecting individual liberty, while holding states with their own rights together under a central government that has limited powers and I support Constitutionalists when I can vote for them.

It was a bold experiment for it's day, and it did have potential. Unfortunately much of that was undermined by the merchant gentry of the time, who preserved their own position of privilege by systematically stifling the rights of the general populace under the illusion of a republican democracy.

--
Dr H

10-07-2017, 05:13 PM
(09-07-2017 08:38 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I used to be in the middle, to the point where I didn't even bother to vote until I was in my late forties. Now I am most definitely on the left. These days I find it impossible to believe that the right does not lie about its opposition and the facts all the time. And you can't compromise with liars.

Now, now. All that's changed with the election of The Donald.
We no longer have any "lies" in politics; we just have all sorts of alternative facts. Tongue

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
10-07-2017, 05:28 PM
I'm a centrist. I'm still registered as a Libertarian, but I've moved away from enough of their views, and towards the left, that it isn't as accurate a descriptor as "centrist".

I did vote for Johnson in this last election.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
10-07-2017, 05:56 PM
(10-07-2017 05:30 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I'm a pro technology, pro gun warmonger who understands the need for scarce resource domination within the context of civilization yet believes we are instinctively prone towards tribal egalitarianism without modern realities fucking everything up, and that the only long term goal with a chance of success involves finding a way to replicate that genetic predisposition without losing control of said resources. I refuse to vote for the Republican or Democratic parties and, this past election, put my support with Zoltan Istvan of the Transhumanist party because I believe he was the only candidate who was not scientifically illiterate.

So neutral I guess.

LOL. Zoltan was the only candidate to promise immortality, as a part of his party platform. Smile

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
10-07-2017, 05:59 PM
(10-07-2017 05:56 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(10-07-2017 05:30 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I'm a pro technology, pro gun warmonger who understands the need for scarce resource domination within the context of civilization yet believes we are instinctively prone towards tribal egalitarianism without modern realities fucking everything up, and that the only long term goal with a chance of success involves finding a way to replicate that genetic predisposition without losing control of said resources. I refuse to vote for the Republican or Democratic parties and, this past election, put my support with Zoltan Istvan of the Transhumanist party because I believe he was the only candidate who was not scientifically illiterate.

So neutral I guess.

LOL. Zoltan was the only candidate to promise immortality, as a part of his party platform. Smile

Promise is an exaggeration. That is the party platform, and perhaps a bit far fetched. But he was nonetheless focused on the use of technology to solve a variety of problems and the analyses of data as a basis for decision making as opposed to just going with the party's standard narrative.

When God was brought up in a press conference, he was also the only one with the metaphorical balls to say God had no relevance in the discussion.

'Murican Canadian
10-07-2017, 06:00 PM
(10-07-2017 08:06 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Chaotic Evil.

[Image: ll50492d58.png]

--
Dr H

10-07-2017, 06:47 PM
(10-07-2017 05:09 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  That would probably make you a slightly left-leaning libertarian Contrarian. Laugh out load

I'm actually a libertarian moderate -- it's everyone else that's Contrarian. Big Grin

--
Dr H