Are You Ready if Shit Hits The Fan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2017, 02:02 PM
Are You Ready if Shit Hits The Fan?
To a lot of people, the survivalist mentality is something they consider something that whackos believe in.

To the survivalist, it's just about being prepared.

Where do you draw the line???

Do you consider someone who has 6 months worth of food on hand to be a rational, well planned person, a hoarder, or a whackadoodle???

I was a Boy Scout, (Always prepared) and a Coastguardsman (Semper Paratus - always ready) - so I'm pretty well set when the power goes out - for whatever reason...

We've got enough food, that we won't go hungry anytime soon.

How ready are you??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
27-04-2017, 02:15 PM
RE: Are You Ready if Shit Hits The Fan?
It depends on the emergency, living / surviving at any cost doesn't interest me.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
27-04-2017, 02:19 PM
Not so prepared in regards to food storage. I do have about 40 cold weather meals (the longer lasting version of MREs which require re-hydration) since I never ate everything they gave me. Other than that, my supply of food on hand is quite limited. But I'm an avid forager to the point where I've started making a foraging map of the area both around my suburban house in Gatineau and my property a couple hours north near the Rouge-Matawin Wildlife Reserve. I've recently imported my guns from the U.S., though I sold most of my ammo (which would have been enough to hunt daily for the rest of my life) and my Canada banned accessories Tongue I haven't done much hunting lately but I still remember how and I'm still a dead-eye with my slingshot, which is quite useful for hunting small game. I know how to purify water and I've got a plan laid out for a fairly extensive forest garden. And in the unlikely scenario that I end up in a situation that is so fucked up that short term recovery is unlikely, I'm not averse to the idea of temporary cannibalism if the practical benefits outweigh the potential repercussions.

So while I'm not as prepared for short term emergencies as I'd like to be, I'd say my long term survival chances are significantly better than most. Especially once I get that forest garden up and going.

'Murican Canadian
27-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Sheer survival isn't particularly appealing to me.

I expect I'll be among the first to go. Hope the zombies like my brainz. Smile
[+] 9 users Like julep's post
27-04-2017, 02:29 PM
My power goes out every winter, so far a week has been the longest. I am always ready for that. I have a gas grill and lots of propane, I have an indoor propane heater, I have food, a transistor radio etc.

For something longer term, I have fruit and berries, I have a big veggie garden, I have friends with cows, goats, chickens and pigs. I have a rifle and a gun, and my woods are full of deer and I have two ponds with ducks and geese and catfish. I guess I'll be ok for a while, trading. You can trade most anything here, people have honey and nuts and whatever.

The area I live in can communally pull through most anything.

That said, I have no interest in living through adverse times at my age. If it gets too troublesome, I'll just say goodbye you cruel world and take the exit.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
27-04-2017, 03:16 PM
(27-04-2017 02:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  How ready are you??

The I don't give a shit way. If the shit really hits the fans, one can of beans more or less only influences my farting abilities.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
27-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Not including what is in the kitchen or the bug out bags we're currently sitting on about 20 months worth of food for 1 person at 1800 calories a day. The goal is 3 months for 6 people at 2400 calories a day. We're about 219,000 calories short of that right now. This is what we've currently got.

[Image: JYGHggP.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
27-04-2017, 03:22 PM
If I have to survive a few months, it's worth waiting. With some effort I have means to get food, however I don't have anything stocked currently. Just large bottles of water. If shit hits the fan so much that the world as I know it is changed forever for bad, count me out. Bu-bye!
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
27-04-2017, 03:29 PM
(27-04-2017 03:22 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  If I have to survive a few months, it's worth waiting. With some effort I have means to get food, however I don't have anything stocked currently. Just large bottles of water. If shit hits the fan so much that the world as I know it is changed forever for bad, count me out. Bu-bye!

Tschernobyl is a pretty good example of why I don't give a shit. Contaminated for a few thousand years to come. All the dried food in the world won't get me that far. Apart from the fact that any kind of world warranting survival training and supplies begs for taking the fastest route out.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
27-04-2017, 03:41 PM
Most people think that a really bad case of SHTF means that it's some apocalyptic end of the world scenario.,....

But that's far less likely than another Great Depression, or a Black Death type pandemic - that is likely to end, and society continues.. .

But you'll still need to survive it.

Also --- super heavy weather - hurricanes, tsunamis, tornados - all can be deadly after the fact - to the unprepared. ......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post