Are You Ready if Shit Hits The Fan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2017, 06:05 AM
RE: Are You Ready if Shit Hits The Fan?
(01-05-2017 06:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 06:00 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  "It's not hoarding if it's books." Mrs. 'Zilla.

Mrs. 'Zilla has the right of it. Yes

I call her amateur, she's over a thousand books behind me. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2017, 06:17 AM
(01-05-2017 06:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 06:00 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  "It's not hoarding if it's books." Mrs. 'Zilla.

Mrs. 'Zilla has the right of it. Yes

The nice thing about actual books is that they don't need electricity to power them up.

But...you can hoard books like an obsession. I decided recently to pare down my library, donating books to library sales and local thrift stores. I really had to get them all into my library, as we are downscaling to the oldest part of our house, while my daughter's family is moving into the newer second storey section.

-Jeanne

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Jeanne's post
01-05-2017, 06:21 AM
(01-05-2017 05:56 AM)Chas Wrote:  Having a few necessities stocked to tide one over for some degree of disruption is rational.

I'm not arguing against a few necessities, I'm arguing against what is called preppers these days. Sure, you should be prepared to not be overly bothered by a power outage. If you're living in tornado alley, you should do some preparations also. But for the major stuff coming down on your head, no amount of prepping will reward you with a life worth living.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
01-05-2017, 06:26 AM
We live in tornado alley, at the junction of the two largest rivers in the US. Given that situation it's rational to have a couple of weeks supply of necessities, like cat food, cat treats, cat nip, oh, and maybe some human food.
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
01-05-2017, 06:42 AM
(01-05-2017 06:21 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 05:56 AM)Chas Wrote:  Having a few necessities stocked to tide one over for some degree of disruption is rational.

I'm not arguing against a few necessities, I'm arguing against what is called preppers these days. Sure, you should be prepared to not be overly bothered by a power outage. If you're living in tornado alley, you should do some preparations also. But for the major stuff coming down on your head, no amount of prepping will reward you with a life worth living.

You can call them preppers or hoarders if you like. They call the other side ostriches.

If they're proven wrong, they're going to be sitting on some excess commodities.

If you're proven wrong you're going to be very hungry, and forced to beg or steal your dinner....... How's that better???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
01-05-2017, 06:45 AM
The preppers will be better off until their limited stock of civilized goodies runs out. Then they'll be hunter-gatherers at best. Scavenging the rubble of civilization might get them another year or two, if they don't get an abcessed tooth and die of gangrene, or have a heart attack, or run into someone meaner than they are.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
01-05-2017, 06:49 AM
(01-05-2017 06:45 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  The preppers will be better off until their limited stock of civilized goodies runs out. Then they'll be hunter-gatherers at best. Scavenging the rubble of civilization might get them another year or two, if they don't get an abcessed tooth and die of gangrene, or have a heart attack, or run into someone meaner than they are.

I've heard many guys say that "I'll use my crossbow and go kill a deer for my dinner"..

Shiiit.....

If things get really bad, you'll be hunting rats.All the small game would be hunted to extinction in the first two weeks.........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
01-05-2017, 06:52 AM
I'm definitely an ostrich although I prefer to see myself as a cricket playing my fiddle while the ants labor away ensuring for their future. Seriously though I think I'd rather immerse myself in one day that was really worth it than in stocking up for three months of subsisting in hard times.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
01-05-2017, 07:04 AM
(01-05-2017 06:52 AM)whateverist Wrote:  I'm definitely an ostrich although I prefer to see myself as a cricket playing my fiddle while the ants labor away ensuring for their future. Seriously though I think I'd rather immerse myself in one day that was really worth it than in stocking up for three months of subsisting in hard times.

It really doesn't take a great deal of effort, or even money.

A lot of my emergency prep stuff is stuff that gets used on a regular basis. Of course we live in the boonies so things like emergency power and water supply are part of the normal package...

Even our emergency food - is just part of life. We don't have to go to the grocery every day......we simply stock ahead and rotate the dry, canned goods and frozen stuff. It's pretty easy.

01-05-2017, 07:05 AM
(01-05-2017 06:21 AM)abaris Wrote:  If you're living in tornado alley, you should do some preparations also.

You should extend this to say that if you live in areas which are subject to tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, droughts, fires, earthquakes, tsunamis, landslides, or blizzards, you should do some preparations.

Luckily I live in an area where none of these problems are an issue.