Are You Ready if Shit Hits The Fan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2017, 09:40 AM
RE: Are You Ready if Shit Hits The Fan?
There's a fair amount of binary thinking going on here. Consider
There are degrees of disaster; it's not big or none. It depends on the amount of shit.

If you are defining "shit hits the fan" as only a monstrous, non-survivable, end-of-civilization as-we-know-it event, then fine, I'm not preparing for that.

But there are lesser events that will disrupt society in large but recoverable ways, and those are far more likely than the end of the world.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
01-05-2017, 09:48 AM
(01-05-2017 09:19 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 07:46 AM)Dom Wrote:  Now if you are also more than one tank of gas worth away from any major city...

I'm less than 20 miles from downtown Philadelphia. If there is a nuclear war, I'm good because I'll be dead.

Hobo

I've actually seen our plans for nuclear war. If the enemy nukes downtown Philadelphia we'll retaliate by nuking downtown Pittsburgh.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Gawdzilla's post
01-05-2017, 09:52 AM
(01-05-2017 09:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  There's a fair amount of binary thinking going on here. Consider
There are degrees of disaster; it's not big or none. It depends on the amount of shit.

If you are defining "shit hits the fan" as only a monstrous, non-survivable, end-of-civilization as-we-know-it event, then fine, I'm not preparing for that.

But there are lesser events that will disrupt society in large but recoverable ways, and those are far more likely than the end of the world.

Yep thats why I prepare for an earthquake -- or like event or another bad winter (heh) because those are a lot more likely to happen anything else. Dodgy

I was grateful to have a freezer full of stuff this past winter for obvious reasons.

I don't understand the people who hoard aquarium antibiotics and build bomb shelters...or have extensive "bug out" plans with backpacks...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-05-2017, 09:54 AM
My house is 2 miles from the DC line. No bunker is deep enough. Not sure I'd want to live through the shit hitting the fan anyway. Tongue

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-05-2017, 09:58 AM
I live in North America, so I sent one of my children to Europe and one to South America.
Just hedging my evolutionary bet.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
02-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Interesting conversation. I have heard so much of it before during most of my adult life. Nuclear war and other catastrophic events are basically planet killers and most will perish immediately. Predictions are that if an EMP or several occurred and shut down our power, 90 % of the population of the US would die within the first year.

That is pretty bleak stuff, but the end of the world as we know it can happen in other ways that leave most of us alive and struggling to survive. Economic collapse, civil war, major but not permanent disruption, plague.

I plan on surviving what is survivable in hopes that a few years will bring some return of normalcy. I have no illusions about what sort of living that would be, but I am not giving up without a fight. I refuse to accept that human beings cannot adapt to such living conditions again, nor do I accept that we cannot rise out of those conditions again.

I owe it to my grandchildren and I owe it to my great-grandparents to continue. Hasn't this always been the thinking of humans; a debt to their ancestors and a promise to their descendants to continue the species and to attempt to make the life of the next generation better?

Give up when the going gets tough? That is not good enough.

Oh...and, bird antibiotics are good for long term, too. If nothing else, you can use them for your dogs and cats instead of heading to the vet's office every whip-stich.

-Jeanne

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
[+] 1 user Likes Jeanne's post
02-05-2017, 05:54 PM
I'm in CA, so I'm prepared in the event of a major earthquake. I also have a bug-out bag. My dogs have their own bug-out backpacks as well. Tongue I feel I'm adequately prepared but not to the level of an apocalyptic survivalist. However, I am still secretly hoping for a zombie apocalypse Wink
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post