Are You Ready if Shit Hits The Fan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2017, 03:46 PM
RE: Are You Ready if Shit Hits The Fan?
(27-04-2017 02:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Do you consider someone who has 6 months worth of food on hand to be a rational, well planned person, a hoarder, or a whackadoodle???

A lot would have to fail all at once for hoarding to be justified, so I would call you excessively fearful but not irrational.

As for me, I am not prepared for anything except the status quo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2017, 04:00 PM
(27-04-2017 03:46 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(27-04-2017 02:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Do you consider someone who has 6 months worth of food on hand to be a rational, well planned person, a hoarder, or a whackadoodle???

A lot would have to fail all at once for hoarding to be justified, so I would call you excessively fearful but not irrational.

As for me, I am not prepared for anything except the status quo.

The Amish have a thing about storing a year's worth of food.

If the man of the house becomes unable to work ( a badly broken leg is frequently used as an example) - then if nothing else, his family won't go hungry.

If you do it right, it doesn't even really cost anything.

You just have to spend a bit of time making preparations.......

If you find that irrational, I hope you never have to find out otherwise.

Cuz being really hungry, and having to rely on charity would really suck ass...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
27-04-2017, 04:11 PM
Being prepared for the worst means that you are prepared for everything in-between. We live in a just-in-time society because redundancies are costs that are pruned away in the name of maximising profit. This also comes at a cost to robustness though. A pandemic, fuel shortage, banking crisis, extreme weather event from climate change, the probability of any of these occurring throughout a lifetime is increasing over time. Unfortunately people will be less able to cope if they only have enough food for a couple of days and don't store cash or valuables to trade with.
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
27-04-2017, 04:45 PM
(27-04-2017 04:00 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The Amish have a thing about storing a year's worth of food.

If the man of the house becomes unable to work ( a badly broken leg is frequently used as an example) - then if nothing else, his family won't go hungry.

If you do it right, it doesn't even really cost anything.

You just have to spend a bit of time making preparations.......

I've thought about this, somewhat.

Once you get to the "one year mark" or "three months mark" with stored foods, it's just a matter of keeping tabs on that arbitrary expiration date. At that point, you are essentially only replacing what you currently eat. It is a fairly efficient, stress free, and manageable way to live.

Frankly, it's not much different than the way my grandparents lived. They did alright during the depression and they had several mouths to feed.
I could get along fairly well, I think. I think I'd really want to be assured of my network of people to rely on. I think I would plan on being just as useful to them as I will need them to be for me. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
27-04-2017, 05:21 PM

Depends on their reasoning. If they are preparing for events like severe weather then I would call them rational, but if they are preparing for the end of the world then no, they are crazy. You can't really prepare for the end of the world because it's the end of the world. You can't survive the end of the world because the world you were living on would not exist anymore. If you do survive then it's not the end of the world because the world is still there.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 3 users Like JDog554's post
27-04-2017, 05:25 PM
(27-04-2017 05:21 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  

Depends on their reasoning. If they are preparing for events like severe weather then I would call them rational, but if they are preparing for the end of the world then no, they are crazy. You can't really prepare for the end of the world because it's the end of the world. You can't survive the end of the world because the world you were living on would not exist anymore. If you do survive then it's not the end of the world because the world is still there.

Can't argue with that...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
27-04-2017, 05:30 PM
I don't even like to go camping.

Once the Internet and electricity are gone...I might as well go too.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
27-04-2017, 05:33 PM
(27-04-2017 03:29 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(27-04-2017 03:22 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  If I have to survive a few months, it's worth waiting. With some effort I have means to get food, however I don't have anything stocked currently. Just large bottles of water. If shit hits the fan so much that the world as I know it is changed forever for bad, count me out. Bu-bye!

Tschernobyl is a pretty good example of why I don't give a shit. Contaminated for a few thousand years to come. All the dried food in the world won't get me that far. Apart from the fact that any kind of world warranting survival training and supplies begs for taking the fastest route out.

Outside of the immediate area around the reactors life is flourishing. The area has the largest number of wolves per square kilometer of anywhere in the world, meaning the top predator likes it there.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
27-04-2017, 05:33 PM
I have an earthquake kit.

If a nuclear bomb hits I'd rather be dead . If the world is so fucked up that the Russians invade I'd rather be dead. If the Canadians invade I'll join up with them. If the Mexicans invade I'll join up with them too.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
27-04-2017, 05:34 PM
(27-04-2017 05:30 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't even like to go camping.

Once the Internet and electricity are gone...I might as well go too.

I'm good till the beer and whiskey run out.

After that, why bother????

Heh

[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post