Are You Ready if Shit Hits The Fan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2017, 05:37 PM
RE: Are You Ready if Shit Hits The Fan?
(27-04-2017 02:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  To a lot of people, the survivalist mentality is something they consider something that whackos believe in.

To the survivalist, it's just about being prepared.

Where do you draw the line???

Do you consider someone who has 6 months worth of food on hand to be a rational, well planned person, a hoarder, or a whackadoodle???

I was a Boy Scout, (Always prepared) and a Coastguardsman (Semper Paratus - always ready) - so I'm pretty well set when the power goes out - for whatever reason...

We've got enough food, that we won't go hungry anytime soon.

How ready are you??

When a hungry family or desperate children make their way to your house when the shit hits the fan, you gonna get out your gun and drive them away ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2017, 05:38 PM
(27-04-2017 02:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  To a lot of people, the survivalist mentality is something they consider something that whackos believe in.

Do you consider someone who has 6 months worth of food on hand to be a rational, well planned person, a hoarder, or a whackadoodle???

I was a Boy Scout, (Always prepared) and a Coastguardsman (Semper Paratus - always ready) - so I'm pretty well set when the power goes out - for whatever reason...

How ready are you??

I grew up in earthquake country and learned to keep food, water, candles, flashlights, spare blankets -- on hand. During this last winter we pretty much ate out of the food in the freezer because of our weather issues and other family stuff. I try to keep some dry goods on hand too, some canned stuff. I rotate them so nothing goes bad -- although somehow a can of beans got pushed to the back of a different cabinet and it's best by date was in 2006 -- but that was unusual.

I do believe in a well-stocked pantry, because there's nothing worse than feeling that intense craving for lemon cake and not having even the most basic ingriedents to make one. On the other hand, I'm really not about to go out and buy a 50 pound bag of sugar at Costco (or flour). I also won't buy a gallon jug of vanilla extract. the shit will be bad by the time I get through a quarter of it -- and usually I don't care much for the quality.

When the market has a special on the diced or pureed tomatoes (I like the no added salt) I prefer, I will order a case (sometimes the store will give me a better deal).

I could probably feed the four of us for a month based on what's in the freezer. fridge and pantry right now -- with some rationing.

So, no, I don't think people are crazy for having some supplies. I do think it's a little nuts to go into debt investing in aquarium antibiotics and building an underground bomb shelter.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-04-2017, 05:42 PM
(27-04-2017 05:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

How ready are you??

When a hungry family or desperate children make their way to your house when the shit hits the fan, you gonna get out your gun and drive them away ?

Absolutely not.

I'll feed them, of course....

Ya never know how bad shit is going to get, and fresh meat is always a bonus...

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
27-04-2017, 09:32 PM
I've got food and water for a good while,
a generator and fuel,
an apple orchard,
hand tools,
guns and ammo,
and deer, ducks, geese, and fish to hunt.

Oh, lots of maple syrup. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
27-04-2017, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2017 10:22 PM by Free Thought.)

How ready are you??

Not ready at all, because I live in South Australia and nothing interesting ever happens.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
27-04-2017, 10:03 PM
(27-04-2017 05:42 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(27-04-2017 05:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  When a hungry family or desperate children make their way to your house when the shit hits the fan, you gonna get out your gun and drive them away ?

Absolutely not.

I'll feed them, of course....

Ya never know how bad shit is going to get, and fresh meat is always a bonus...

Tongue

You DO know that shooting and eating them uses less of your supplies, right?! Dodgy

BoT- I am ready, depending on circumstances. Earthquake, yes. I'm not in a flood zone (either from a tsunami or massive rainfall). Tornadoes do not occur in the hilly area where I live. I live in a residential area where a massive brush fire cannot reach to my home (and didn't, the last time the area where I live was completely surrounded by a brush fire). Believe it or not, my wife and I looked at all those details when we bought this house.

I'm not ready for a nuclear attack, and while I'm a little concerned about our microdick "president" having a pissing contest with NK's microdick "leader", I have no intention of trying to prepare for that. I'll just die like everyone else in my neighborhood. I live just outside LA County, and that's too close to ground zero for me to live, in any event.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
27-04-2017, 10:05 PM
(27-04-2017 09:41 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

How ready are you??

Not ready at all, because I live in Australia and nothing interesting ever happens.

Not yet but the Kangaroos could be planning.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
27-04-2017, 10:21 PM
(27-04-2017 10:05 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(27-04-2017 09:41 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Not ready at all, because I live in Australia and nothing interesting ever happens.

Not yet but the Kangaroos could be planning.

Nah mate, we've got them under wraps.
[Image: giphy.gif]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
27-04-2017, 11:44 PM
I've got a tornado bag -- canned meats and veggies for about four or five days, assuming I can find it after an F4 or -5.

Other than that, I don't worry about it. If the shit really hits the fan, I'd live, or more likely die, by my wits.
28-04-2017, 05:48 AM
I guess I'd better build that rocket ship.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post