Are You Ready if Shit Hits The Fan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2017, 05:54 AM
RE: Are You Ready if Shit Hits The Fan?
(27-04-2017 11:44 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I've got a tornado bag -- canned meats and veggies for about four or five days, assuming I can find it after an F4 or -5.

Other than that, I don't worry about it. If the shit really hits the fan, I'd live, or more likely die, by my wits.

For tornado planning - keeping some emergency supplies in 20mm shell boxes, painted bright fluorescent colors ( my choice is pink, because it contrasts against everything,) is a good way to go. Store them in the southwest corner of the basement. Not a bad idea to physically tie them down.

One thing people always overlook- some clean, dry clothing.you can vacuum bag a pair of sweatpants, a sweatshirt and a pair of socks and they won't take much room.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2017, 06:06 AM
I keep the pantry stocked so that nobody has to go to the store except for perishables for a month. Not disaster preparedness, just my habit of winding up in the ICU.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-04-2017, 06:18 AM
(28-04-2017 05:54 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  One thing people always overlook- some clean, dry clothing.you can vacuum bag a pair of sweatpants, a sweatshirt and a pair of socks and they won't take much room.

And shoes! The last thing you want to be doing after a tornado is walking through the debris without shoes on.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
28-04-2017, 06:21 AM
(28-04-2017 06:18 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(28-04-2017 05:54 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  One thing people always overlook- some clean, dry clothing.you can vacuum bag a pair of sweatpants, a sweatshirt and a pair of socks and they won't take much room.

And shoes! The last thing you want to be doing after a tornado is walking through the debris without shoes on.

Two gallon ziplocs work for that mostly. But don't vacuum the air out, you want them to float if the water gets deep. You can also store a lot of clothes in a cooler that locks shut.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
28-04-2017, 06:57 AM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2017 07:14 AM by Loom.)
Unfortunately my parents and I have no real food or water reserves--we have a case of water bottles and some canned food that -might- last 3-4 days. Enough for a short term emergency, but not enough for something extreme.

On the flipside, I have my garden, which contains tomatoes, blueberries, strawberries, grapes, carrots, and herbs, and I can easily expand it to include more if necessary. There's also a plethora of wild raspberry and blackberry bushes throughout our neighborhood. I transplanted several by our house last year.

We have a cool basement that can aid in food storage. We know how to hunt and fish, and I know how to make simple rock traps and snares. There are plenty of nearby supermarkets to loot, too, if necessary, but that could be risky.

We were once better prepped when we lived in Kodiak, Alaska, as shortages in perishable food items and clean water water DID happen on the rare occasion. Still, I'm confident that we could sustain ourselves if it became necessary.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
28-04-2017, 08:20 AM
(28-04-2017 06:18 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  

Quick! Grab these!

[Image: the_ruby_slippers.gif]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
28-04-2017, 08:38 AM
(28-04-2017 06:21 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(28-04-2017 06:18 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  And shoes! The last thing you want to be doing after a tornado is walking through the debris without shoes on.

Two gallon ziplocs work for that mostly. But don't vacuum the air out, you want them to float if the water gets deep. You can also store a lot of clothes in a cooler that locks shut.

I like the cooler idea.. I've got a huge old Coleman I was given a few years back, and hadn't put it to use yet.... Clothes locker...

Cool..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
28-04-2017, 09:30 AM
(27-04-2017 02:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Do you consider someone who has 6 months worth of food on hand to be a rational, well planned person, a hoarder, or a whackadoodle?

Definitely a whackadoodle LOL.

If the shit really were to hit the fan, then no amount of food or water is gonna save your skinny hide. It'd just be a matter of whether you shrivel up and die in a few days, or in six months.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
28-04-2017, 09:33 AM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2017 09:46 AM by Loom.)
A great survival food would be pemmican. Easy to make (don't need any appliances), very nutritious, long shelf-life, and delicious! Big Grin

Simply takes jerky, dried berries, and enough rendered animal fat to roll it together.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
28-04-2017, 09:55 AM
(27-04-2017 02:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  To a lot of people, the survivalist mentality is something they consider something that whackos believe in.

To the survivalist, it's just about being prepared.

Where do you draw the line???

Do you consider someone who has 6 months worth of food on hand to be a rational, well planned person, a hoarder, or a whackadoodle???

I was a Boy Scout, (Always prepared) and a Coastguardsman (Semper Paratus - always ready) - so I'm pretty well set when the power goes out - for whatever reason...

We've got enough food, that we won't go hungry anytime soon.

How ready are you??

I do worry about a Nuclear war because that really would fuck life up bad. But so would a meteor like what killed the dinosaurs. Maybe we should not invest in mass murder which is what war is, and focus globally on solving issues of economic stability globally, issues of pollution and invest in some meteor deflection system.

But am I ready if a nuclear war? If either friend or foe get fucking stupid enough to start one, no thanks, make sure that nuke explodes over me and vaporizes me instantly, because I don't want to live in that aftermath.

I really hate how evolution has produced delusional power hungry fuckfaces that think beating the shit out of each other solves anything.

FUCK WAR!

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post