Are You Ready if Shit Hits The Fan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2017, 02:35 PM
RE: Are You Ready if Shit Hits The Fan?
(28-04-2017 12:43 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Wow. What the hell are you guys expecting to happen that you're all hoarding stuff for some kind of apocalypse? Geez, you're as bad as the crazy christians waiting for jesus. Here's a thought, enjoy each moment, cause this is it folks. There isn't a second act. Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow may never come!

Live!

No.. That isn' t it at all.. That's just the stereotype that's held by those that refuse to accept the idea that shit can go bad, really quick..........

An example, from my life....

Back in the 1990's, I got into the idea of survivalism, after some exposure to the Amish, and the 7th Day Adventists.... While the god angle held no appeal, the idea of being very prepared for whatever life had to throw at me, did.

I spent several years getting myself totally out of debt, and stocked up a year's worth of food and household necessities.

In 2001 I got t-boned by a pickup truck on my motorcycle, shattering my wrist and nearly amputating my foot. I went through 18 months of being in a wheelchair, almost 2 years before I could walk - and a total of 3 years before my lawyers were able to get a piddly settlement out of the insurance company of the company that owned the truck that hit me. (That was ruled against as being at fault)

The ONLY reason that I was able to hold out that long without losing everything I owned was because of my preparedness. My lawyer opined that he'd be a very rich man if all of his clients were able to go the distance. Most live paycheck to paycheck, and settle for the first dollar the insurance companies offer.

Apocalypses are more often personal, than society wide.....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
28-04-2017, 02:37 PM
(28-04-2017 02:35 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(28-04-2017 12:43 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Wow. What the hell are you guys expecting to happen that you're all hoarding stuff for some kind of apocalypse? Geez, you're as bad as the crazy christians waiting for jesus. Here's a thought, enjoy each moment, cause this is it folks. There isn't a second act. Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow may never come!

Live!

No.. That isn' t it at all.. That's just the stereotype that's held by those that refuse to accept the idea that shit can go bad, really quick..........

An example, from my life....

Back in the 1990's, I got into the idea of survivalism, after some exposure to the Amish, and the 7th Day Adventists.... While the god angle held no appeal, the idea of being very prepared for whatever life had to throw at me, did.

I spent several years getting myself totally out of debt, and stocked up a year's worth of food and household necessities.

In 2001 I got t-boned by a pickup truck on my motorcycle, shattering my wrist and nearly amputating my foot. I went through 18 months of being in a wheelchair, almost 2 years before I could walk - and a total of 3 years before my lawyers were able to get a piddly settlement out of the insurance company of the company that owned the truck that hit me. (That was ruled against as being at fault)

The ONLY reason that I was able to hold out that long without losing everything I owned was because of my preparedness. My lawyer opined that he'd be a very rich man if all of his clients were able to go the distance. Most live paycheck to paycheck, and settle for the first dollar the insurance companies offer.

Apocalypses are more often personal, than society wide.....
Your example is non-germane to the subject under discussion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-04-2017, 03:46 PM
(28-04-2017 02:33 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You saved two years salary while raising boys? You are THE GOD of financial skills.

I will sacrifice a chicken to you today.

Don't forget the sacred herbs and spices. Tongue

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
28-04-2017, 04:56 PM
(28-04-2017 03:46 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(28-04-2017 02:33 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You saved two years salary while raising boys? You are THE GOD of financial skills.

I will sacrifice a chicken to you today.

Don't forget the sacred herbs and spices. Tongue

All eleven? Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

28-04-2017, 04:59 PM
I have like maybe a week's worth of food. I haven't done any doomsday prep, because frankly I'm not that worried about it. Thumbsup

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
28-04-2017, 05:03 PM
The possible economic collapse is enough for us to stay prepared. I have always wanted to be self-sufficient and I married a man who felt the same way. Both sets of our parents were young adults during the Great Depression and World War II and one set were old-school farmers nearly up to my husband's pre-teen years.

Yes, we view prepping as a rational response to living at any time, but we really kicked it into gear during Obama's presidency and the rising up of ISIS and the Islamification of Europe.

The more you learn about what can happen, the more you worry that it can...but the fear of a "happening" is lessened, the more you are prepared.

Rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. We are a far cry from being Rawlesian prepped, though. But...living way in the sticks, shit happens and you have to take care of it yourself.

Listened to the news and heard a bit more stuff that made me pick up a few more items that I hadn't stocked up on just in case the supply lines are disrupted. Baby food mostly. I hadn't thought about our recent grand baby running short of a few goodies, as he just started eating. Long-term is different and we have prepped for that, but for a short term disruption, it would be nice to have his favorites.

It is a good feeling to be able to feed and care for your family when distribution is disrupted for whatever reason. Most folks don't have a week's worth of food or other necessities. That would drive me nuts.

-Jeanne

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
[+] 2 users Like Jeanne's post
28-04-2017, 05:33 PM
(28-04-2017 05:03 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  Rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

^^^^^^^
The Reader's Digest version..

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
28-04-2017, 05:39 PM
(28-04-2017 05:33 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(28-04-2017 05:03 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  Rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

^^^^^^^
The Reader's Digest version..

Smile
Unless storage space is at a premium. Then we're forced to make rational choices.
28-04-2017, 06:10 PM
(28-04-2017 02:34 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  [Image: Cartridge-Comparison-338-Lapua-50-BMG-20mm-Vulcan.jpg]

Is that last one fired from a rifle or launched from a pad? Huh

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
28-04-2017, 06:13 PM
(28-04-2017 06:10 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(28-04-2017 02:34 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  [Image: Cartridge-Comparison-338-Lapua-50-BMG-20mm-Vulcan.jpg]

Is that last one fired from a rifle or launched from a pad? Huh

Heavily used by the USN as "last line" AAA. Some ships had fifty or more. Japanese fighters had 20mm guns as well, with superquick fuzes so the rounds would detonate on the light frames of aircraft. Not considered "man portable" by anyone I'm familiar with.