Are You - or Do You Live With - A Packrat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2016, 06:43 AM
RE: Are You - or Do You Live With - A Packrat?
(03-09-2016 05:32 PM)skyking Wrote:  I have some issues Smile
I have made some decisions about this in the last few days, and have cancelled plans to build my large dream shop. I realized that if I can't keep what I have neat and organized, building a huge two level shop is not the answer!
Besides the property tax burden, the additional spaces to organize and manage will be a huge time sink.
Now I can dispose of the 166(!) 20' 4x6 timbers, the stack of 90 18' engineered tgi trusses , the steel channels,etc.
In its place I will build a Gothic arch RV garage with a tarp covering to shelter the trailer. It will be tax exempt.

I've got a dandy spot for you to dispose of them... Right where we're planning on building the 5 car carport....

We've run out of inside storage for cars you see.... Only the parts cars and the beater maple syrup truck are outdoors...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2016, 08:45 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2016 10:35 AM by Bucky Ball.)
How dare you.
The definition of a patriotic 'Murican :
*Fill up your place with junk so you have to rent a storage place so you can go to Target and get more junk*

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-09-2016, 09:27 AM
(03-09-2016 10:59 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 04:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have a lot of sewing stuff that goes back for years - no decades. I have part of a closet dedicated to my sewing things and a steamer trunk that's full. I still have sewing tools from my high school days...you can't get some of the things any more and some things that you can still get aren't as good in quality.

There was a time when I had a ton of books...I still have quite a few but have either sold or donated much more than I kept. Other than that...no pack-ratting for me.

When we redid the house I cut way down on pictures and knickknacks. I am liking the less cluttered look.

My wife quilts. We have cloth (material?) everywhere. Some of that material costs about $320 a cubic foot, and there are cabinets full of it. She has multiple sewing machines/sergers/some other stuff. Of course, I have tools, which she calls "toys". But those "toys" were used to make me (and our family) a living. Every one of those "toys" are used for repair and maintenance of our vehicles, or to repair or maintain our home. I was so careful not to be accused of wasting money that I didn't even buy an air compressor for many years, even though I had pneumatic tools from when I worked as a mechanic. We just bought her a new Baby Lock "Destiny" sewing machine. You seamstresses know what I'm talking about. That machine cost almost as much as every tool I have, even adjusted for inflation!

I sew professionally. I design and create window coverings and soft goods for interior designers and I also design costumes for the theatre. I have a lot of left over fabric scraps which I have in a huge box I keep under my cutting table. After a year I give it away or recycle it because it builds up to a massive amount of fabric. With all my sewing I only have three machines. They're all industrial machines though. That's really all you need. I like using big swaths of fabric and I get big bolts of fabric drop shipped to me from the designers I work with. Some of them are 30 yards of fabric, depending on the workorder. So I don't use little pieces of fabric or cut them up in tiny little rectangles and triangles. That would drive me nuts.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
04-09-2016, 09:45 AM
Since we moved so many things around lately I found a small container of things that belonged to my dad.

Part of that 'find' was a bunch of his surgical instruments and a glass and surgical steel tray for soaking them in antiseptic. I also found that I have his stethoscope from vet school.

The other thing is an old cigar box (price each - eight cents). In this box is a collection of skeleton keys and very old padlocks. There is also a very old, all metal compass (the drawing kind, not the finding north kind). The keys and locks are pretty cool. I am trying to figure out something to display them in like an old jar or something. I think all those keys would be cool set out on the window seat just inside the front door. I don't think it's being a packrat as I don't plan to add to the collection. It makes me wonder, though, why dad kept them. Consider

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
04-09-2016, 11:50 AM
(04-09-2016 09:45 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Since we moved so many things around lately I found a small container of things that belonged to my dad.

Part of that 'find' was a bunch of his surgical instruments and a glass and surgical steel tray for soaking them in antiseptic. I also found that I have his stethoscope from vet school.

The other thing is an old cigar box (price each - eight cents). In this box is a collection of skeleton keys and very old padlocks. There is also a very old, all metal compass (the drawing kind, not the finding north kind). The keys and locks are pretty cool. I am trying to figure out something to display them in like an old jar or something. I think all those keys would be cool set out on the window seat just inside the front door. I don't think it's being a packrat as I don't plan to add to the collection. It makes me wonder, though, why dad kept them. Consider

Because he liked them.

That's all the reason a guy needs....

I like Coleman lanterns - I've got 15 of 'em -- and I've never paid more than 20 bucks (for new in the box)......

I also like Maglights. I've got a bunch of those too....

When I say "let there be light" --- there will be....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
04-09-2016, 01:02 PM
(03-09-2016 06:19 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  YES I DO!!!!! live with a packrat. Angry

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​

It's the only thing I don't like about my husband. But guess what, I throw things out when he's not looking. Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! AngryCensored Evil_monster

So there!

Edit: Oh, don't get me started!

I'd be smothered in my sleep if I tried that. Fortunately, most of what she keeps is useful by some definition or other, no actual junk. We simply never use most of it more than once a decade.

A friend's father passed a few years back and we helped her clean his place out. He was truly pathological. It took weeks and I've forgotten what all we threw out but the highlights included:
- Boxes full of empty asthma inhaler cartridges. Not small boxes, the sort you use for moving.
- Pill bottles full of what we thought at first was yeast. The pharmacist at the drug store that disposed of it identified it as the contents of medicine capsules. He'd opened each one up and dumped the conents out then thrown away the outer coating. Several gallons worth.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
04-09-2016, 01:14 PM
OK, here I go. I gotta get this off my chest.

My husband keeps salt and pepper packets from restaurants and fast food places. He keeps the plastic spoons too. He has a jar full of those of Chinese food soy sauce packets. He keeps 20 year old catalogues from companies that no longer exist. (I tossed them out when he wasn't looking.) He's kept shoes that don't fit him, pants that don't fit him, t-shirts that don't fit him. At one point I counted 50 t-shirts. I counted 35 dress shirts in his closet. He has more clothes than I do....by far! And most of the stuff he never wears.

He keeps magazines. He has all kinds of Archery magazines going back 20 years that he claims he'll read when he retires. Our garage is full of hobbies that he claims he'll take up when he retires in 15 or so years. Yeah, sure.

About 4 years ago he started taking over my gardening chores and went out and bought every gardening gadget known to man. He bought one of those elaborate, fucking, stupid planters table with a hole in it for potting plants. He bought plastic decorative pots for the plants. I counted 35 of them. He planted everything he could find to plant and put the plants in places that made it 100 times harder for me to mow. (I have an old fashioned push mower.)

I finally asked him to stop. Everything he bought, and I mean everything, every tool, pot, trellis (he bought 7 trellises) hose, ( he bought 6 soaker hoses) garden timer and trowel I either recycled, gave to the goodwill or threw it away. I pulled everything out of the ground that he planted and what remains is my simple peaceful garden which is easier to maintain and less expensive to water.

I've thrown away his t-shirts and refuse to wash and hang up his dress shirts. I throw away stuff all the time.

Oh, I almost forgot.....he has a box of old fuckin floppy disks!!!!

Um, other than that he's a wonderful person. He worships the ground I walk on, thinks I'm the most beautiful woman that has ever walked the earth and recites Shakespeare sonnets to me on a monthly basis. He brings me flowers and chocolate treats, is an agnostic who thinks religion sucks and makes me laugh all the time. Sigh.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
04-09-2016, 02:38 PM
I have a cousin who is maybe 75 years old now, she lives on her own 5 acres and bought a mobile home for it 30 years ago. Then five or so years later when it was full if junk she parked another against and expanded into that, then when that filled up she brought in a third shoved up against the first 2. When she brought in #4 she parked it 20 feet away and built a roof between it and the old set so some of her ever accumulating junk could stay outside though still somewhat out of the weather. Her son recently told me that she recently told me that about last Christmas time he helped her set up another to live in because that one filled up too. That is what I think of as someone with a serious problem.
04-09-2016, 02:45 PM
(04-09-2016 01:14 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  OK, here I go. I gotta get this off my chest.

My husband keeps salt and pepper packets from restaurants and fast food places. He keeps the plastic spoons too. He has a jar full of those of Chinese food soy sauce packets. He keeps 20 year old catalogues from companies that no longer exist. (I tossed them out when he wasn't looking.) He's kept shoes that don't fit him, pants that don't fit him, t-shirts that don't fit him. At one point I counted 50 t-shirts. I counted 35 dress shirts in his closet. He has more clothes than I do....by far! And most of the stuff he never wears.

He keeps magazines. He has all kinds of Archery magazines going back 20 years that he claims he'll read when he retires. Our garage is full of hobbies that he claims he'll take up when he retires in 15 or so years. Yeah, sure.

About 4 years ago he started taking over my gardening chores and went out and bought every gardening gadget known to man. He bought one of those elaborate, fucking, stupid planters table with a hole in it for potting plants. He bought plastic decorative pots for the plants. I counted 35 of them. He planted everything he could find to plant and put the plants in places that made it 100 times harder for me to mow. (I have an old fashioned push mower.)

I finally asked him to stop. Everything he bought, and I mean everything, every tool, pot, trellis (he bought 7 trellises) hose, ( he bought 6 soaker hoses) garden timer and trowel I either recycled, gave to the goodwill or threw it away. I pulled everything out of the ground that he planted and what remains is my simple peaceful garden which is easier to maintain and less expensive to water.

I've thrown away his t-shirts and refuse to wash and hang up his dress shirts. I throw away stuff all the time.

Um, other than that he's a wonderful person. He worships the ground I walk on, thinks I'm the most beautiful woman that has ever walked the earth and recites Shakespeare sonnets to me on a monthly basis. He brings me flowers and chocolate treats, is an agnostic who thinks religion sucks and makes me laugh all the time. Sigh.

My husband made a comment yesterday that I get rid of his T-shirts. He would still have every T-shirt that anyone has ever given him if I didn't. The kids and I used to get him Harley shirts whenever we went anywhere and for occasions. I bet there are still some in a drawer upstairs that he has had twenty plus years and probably only worn once. Instead he will wear a half dozen of them till they are so ragged that I finally sneak them from the laundry to the trash. Then a 'new' old one will emerge from the stack and enter the batch of currently worn shirts.

I used to be bad about keeping magazines. I had several subscriptions and they piled up. Now I only get one (Rolling Stone) and I let three or four accumulate then I spend a couple hours reading them and then throw them away.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
04-09-2016, 02:52 PM
(04-09-2016 01:14 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  OK, here I go. I gotta get this off my chest.

If the only baggage he has can be boxed up and taken to the dump -- consider yourself a winner...........

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post