Are You - or Do You Live With - A Packrat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2016, 03:50 PM
RE: Are You - or Do You Live With - A Packrat?
(04-09-2016 09:45 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Since we moved so many things around lately I found a small container of things that belonged to my dad.

Part of that 'find' was a bunch of his surgical instruments and a glass and surgical steel tray for soaking them in antiseptic. I also found that I have his stethoscope from vet school.

The other thing is an old cigar box (price each - eight cents). In this box is a collection of skeleton keys and very old padlocks. There is also a very old, all metal compass (the drawing kind, not the finding north kind). The keys and locks are pretty cool. I am trying to figure out something to display them in like an old jar or something. I think all those keys would be cool set out on the window seat just inside the front door. I don't think it's being a packrat as I don't plan to add to the collection. It makes me wonder, though, why dad kept them. Consider

Have you considered a shadow box?

[Image: 9565%20shadow%20box.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-09-2016, 04:20 PM
(04-09-2016 02:52 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(04-09-2016 01:14 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  OK, here I go. I gotta get this off my chest.

My husband keeps salt and pepper packets from restaurants and fast food places. He keeps the plastic spoons too. He has a jar full of those of Chinese food soy sauce packets. He keeps 20 year old catalogues from companies that no longer exist. (I tossed them out when he wasn't looking.) He's kept shoes that don't fit him, pants that don't fit him, t-shirts that don't fit him. At one point I counted 50 t-shirts. I counted 35 dress shirts in his closet. He has more clothes than I do....by far! And most of the stuff he never wears.

He keeps magazines. He has all kinds of Archery magazines going back 20 years that he claims he'll read when he retires. Our garage is full of hobbies that he claims he'll take up when he retires in 15 or so years. Yeah, sure.

About 4 years ago he started taking over my gardening chores and went out and bought every gardening gadget known to man. He bought one of those elaborate, fucking, stupid planters table with a hole in it for potting plants. He bought plastic decorative pots for the plants. I counted 35 of them. He planted everything he could find to plant and put the plants in places that made it 100 times harder for me to mow. (I have an old fashioned push mower.)

I finally asked him to stop. Everything he bought, and I mean everything, every tool, pot, trellis (he bought 7 trellises) hose, ( he bought 6 soaker hoses) garden timer and trowel I either recycled, gave to the goodwill or threw it away. I pulled everything out of the ground that he planted and what remains is my simple peaceful garden which is easier to maintain and less expensive to water.

I've thrown away his t-shirts and refuse to wash and hang up his dress shirts. I throw away stuff all the time.

Oh, I almost forgot.....he has a box of old fuckin floppy disks!!!!

Um, other than that he's a wonderful person. He worships the ground I walk on, thinks I'm the most beautiful woman that has ever walked the earth and recites Shakespeare sonnets to me on a monthly basis. He brings me flowers and chocolate treats, is an agnostic who thinks religion sucks and makes me laugh all the time. Sigh.

If the only baggage he has can be boxed up and taken to the dump -- consider yourself a winner...........

Big Grin

I'd need a large truck to put everything he has piled up in the garage and take to the dump. From cross country skis to golf clubs. He hates golf so why he has golf clubs it beyond me. We can't park our cars in the garage because of all this crap.
We also have a wooden trailer full of camping equipment on the side of the house that's rotting away. We haven't been camping in 10 years. I mean, he's a nice guy.....but damn. Facepalm

Edit: We also have a shed on the same side where the trailer is that is full of his stuff. Oy-veh.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
04-09-2016, 10:25 PM
(04-09-2016 06:43 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 05:32 PM)skyking Wrote:  I have some issues Smile
I have made some decisions about this in the last few days, and have cancelled plans to build my large dream shop. I realized that if I can't keep what I have neat and organized, building a huge two level shop is not the answer!
Besides the property tax burden, the additional spaces to organize and manage will be a huge time sink.
Now I can dispose of the 166(!) 20' 4x6 timbers, the stack of 90 18' engineered tgi trusses , the steel channels,etc.
In its place I will build a Gothic arch RV garage with a tarp covering to shelter the trailer. It will be tax exempt.

I've got a dandy spot for you to dispose of them... Right where we're planning on building the 5 car carport....

We've run out of inside storage for cars you see.... Only the parts cars and the beater maple syrup truck are outdoors...
They are yours for the taking. I got them all for free as the bridge job closed down. I think the freight is a deal breaker though. It is a full 40' semi load of stuff.
05-09-2016, 12:09 AM
(04-09-2016 10:25 PM)skyking Wrote:  
(04-09-2016 06:43 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've got a dandy spot for you to dispose of them... Right where we're planning on building the 5 car carport....

We've run out of inside storage for cars you see.... Only the parts cars and the beater maple syrup truck are outdoors...
They are yours for the taking. I got them all for free as the bridge job closed down. I think the freight is a deal breaker though. It is a full 40' semi load of stuff.

Yeah -- that'd be problematic.

I don't think it'd be cost effective hauling it cross country - on my bike trailer hauled behind a Saturn.....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.