Are all cultures equal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2016, 10:48 AM
Are all cultures equal?
This question is something I've been going over in my mine all day. I really am not sure. What're your opinions?

P.s Wasn't sure which section I was to post this thread in, sorry!

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2016, 10:52 AM
RE: Are all cultures equal?
Without knowing exactly what you are asking I would highly recommend reading the Pulitzer Prize winning book by Jared Diamond, “Guns, Germs and Steel”. Fascinating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns,_Germs,_and_Steel

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
22-02-2016, 10:56 AM
(22-02-2016 10:48 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  This question is something I've been going over in my mine all day. I really am not sure. What're your opinions?

P.s Wasn't sure which section I was to post this thread in, sorry!

Of course not, no two things anywhere are equal. Are two 100 pound 33 year old female blondes equal? Not even if they are twins.
22-02-2016, 11:16 AM
Maybe the question is a bit ambiguous. I mean to ask whether or not people think all cultures deserve to be equally respected and treated equal.

One issue I've had is that I dislike the idea of the Hijab. Although if I question the hijab and express my dislike for it as a symbol of oppression, people argue with me and tell me it's not and it's "a part of their culture" and that I'm a bigot for disliking it and that all cultures are equally right.

Firstly, if that's true, then you don't call me a bigot or insult me because that argument is itself an argument in defence of me because my culture finds oppression of women totally unacceptable.

Secondly, I am yet to have an opinion whether or not all cultures are equally right.

Surely if one believes in this then it is impossible for them to be a progressive?

22-02-2016, 11:21 AM
By any possible meaning of the word; no.
22-02-2016, 11:24 AM
(22-02-2016 11:16 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Maybe the question is a bit ambiguous. I mean to ask whether or not people think all cultures deserve to be equally respected and treated equal.

One issue I've had is that I dislike the idea of the Hijab. Although if I question the hijab and express my dislike for it as a symbol of oppression, people argue with me and tell me it's not and it's "a part of their culture" and that I'm a bigot for disliking it and that all cultures are equally right.

Firstly, if that's true, then you don't call me a bigot or insult me because that argument is itself an argument in defence of me because my culture finds oppression of women totally unacceptable.

Secondly, I am yet to have an opinion whether or not all cultures are equally right.

Surely if one believes in this then it is impossible for them to be a progressive?

The quality of a culture is proportional to personal freedom and inversely proportional to violence.

This is why I can confidently state that Muslim theocracies are less desirable than secular democracies.

And by 'less desirable' I mean they are despicable.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
22-02-2016, 11:25 AM
Do matters of druthers matter?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
22-02-2016, 11:26 AM
(22-02-2016 11:25 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Do matters of druthers matter?

They are pretty much all that matter.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-02-2016, 11:32 AM
(22-02-2016 11:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 11:16 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Maybe the question is a bit ambiguous. I mean to ask whether or not people think all cultures deserve to be equally respected and treated equal.

The quality of a culture is proportional to personal freedom and inversely proportional to violence.

This is why I can confidently state that Muslim theocracies are less desirable than secular democracies.

And by 'less desirable' I mean they are despicable.

I've noticed they try to use the argument that the "hijab" gives them a larger sense of freedom. It's a strange position to take.

22-02-2016, 11:37 AM
My initial reaction is no. Some cultures advocate beliefs that are pretty heinous according to modern standards. (I'm sure everyone can cite their own examples.) But, as we know from the objective morality threads, what constitutes good and evil can get fuzzy. I think every culture believes that they are doing "good".

(22-02-2016 11:16 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Secondly, I am yet to have an opinion whether or not all cultures are equally right.

I don't think we could define criteria to judge all cultures. I'm sure others will say it better than I could. We've had multiple threads showing the difficulties of objective morality for individuals, let alone for an entire culture.

This could be an interesting thread.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky