Are all cultures equal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2016, 11:38 AM
RE: Are all cultures equal?
(22-02-2016 11:32 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 11:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  The quality of a culture is proportional to personal freedom and inversely proportional to violence.

This is why I can confidently state that Muslim theocracies are less desirable than secular democracies.

And by 'less desirable' I mean they are despicable.

I've noticed they try to use the argument that the "hijab" gives them a larger sense of freedom. It's a strange position to take.

[Image: george-orwell-quotes-05.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
22-02-2016, 11:40 AM
(22-02-2016 11:32 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I've noticed they try to use the argument that the "hijab" gives them a larger sense of freedom. It's a strange position to take.

I'd call it indoctrination.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
22-02-2016, 12:25 PM
It's not only the Muslim culture. I don't like:

1. The Jewish culture. I have many friends who are Jews BUT, there are certain traits in the culture generally that I do not like. For example, Jews tend to see themselves as having a monopoly on being oppressed. I mentioned on a lawyer's forum that almost 6 million gypsies, homosexuals, and other groups were killed by the Nazis in the Holocaust. You would have thought I'd raped and killed Mother Theresa. By mentioning other victims, the Jewish lawyers accused me of making light of the Jewish suffering under the Nazis.

2. The Hispanic culture. Once again, I have some Hispanic friends but as a general rule, Hispanics do not value education. They tend to have very high drop out rates in secondary education. They also marry young and have lots of kids. These are cultural traits that I do not like. And don't give me the, "My Hispanic uncle has a PhD in theoretical physics," bullshit. There are many exceptions to the general cultural attribute. [My wife and I place a very high value on education, obviously. My wife was a French and Spanish teacher and she has master's degrees in French Lit and Spanish Lit. I am a retired lawyer and I am, at 69 years old, working on advanced degrees in math and physics. I don't know why the fuck I am doing it but I love it. After our son graduated from college, his mother and I spent over $300K on advanced degrees for him and that's not counting the money he spent -- he taught in the various universities he attended -- and that he got in scholarships. EDUCATION, EDUCATION, EDUCATION. ]

3. Native Americans. I am one of these and I don't generally like them. The reasons are too many to list. Like the Jews, they think they have a monopoly on being oppressed. The average child on the Pine Ridge Reservation attends school on 50% of school days. A boy born on the Ridge today has a life expectancy of 47 years and fault lies not in their stars but in themselves.

4. Cowboys. I worked as a ranch hand for many many years and the next person who says, "we ride for brand and not for the man," to me is going to get run over by my horse. Fuck that. The man is the brand, you stupid fucking cowboy. If you want to get a sense of how stupid people can be, go to a cowboy bar.

I'm sure there are others but right now that's all I can think of.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
22-02-2016, 12:27 PM
I don't think that all cultures are equal. If you want example just look at female genital mutilation. To make people suffer in name of idiocy is a hallmark of culture worthy nothing but scorn.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
22-02-2016, 01:10 PM
No. Not all cultures are equal. If in your culture its okay to chop up albino people or marry 7 year olds or kill gay people, you are not equal to a culture that does not do that.
[+] 5 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
22-02-2016, 01:45 PM
Thanks for all your replies. This is a topic that I find hard to conclude in my mind. Every time I think I'm getting somewhere I'm right back at the "I don't know" square.

If all cultures on Earth were separated and placed on different planets to thrive, do you think they would all eventually evolve into some similar culture that shares it's norms, taboos, morality etc?

I'm finding it really hard to articulate my point. moral objectivism keeps kicking my arse.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
22-02-2016, 01:46 PM
(22-02-2016 12:25 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  It's not only the Muslim culture. I don't like:

1. The Jewish culture. I have many friends who are Jews BUT, there are certain traits in the culture generally that I do not like. For example, Jews tend to see themselves as having a monopoly on being oppressed. I mentioned on a lawyer's forum that almost 6 million gypsies, homosexuals, and other groups were killed by the Nazis in the Holocaust. You would have thought I'd raped and killed Mother Theresa. By mentioning other victims, the Jewish lawyers accused me of making light of the Jewish suffering under the Nazis.

2. The Hispanic culture. Once again, I have some Hispanic friends but as a general rule, Hispanics do not value education. They tend to have very high drop out rates in secondary education. They also marry young and have lots of kids. These are cultural traits that I do not like. And don't give me the, "My Hispanic uncle has a PhD in theoretical physics," bullshit. There are many exceptions to the general cultural attribute. [My wife and I place a very high value on education, obviously. My wife was a French and Spanish teacher and she has master's degrees in French Lit and Spanish Lit. I am a retired lawyer and I am, at 69 years old, working on advanced degrees in math and physics. I don't know why the fuck I am doing it but I love it. After our son graduated from college, his mother and I spent over $300K on advanced degrees for him and that's not counting the money he spent -- he taught in the various universities he attended -- and that he got in scholarships. EDUCATION, EDUCATION, EDUCATION. ]

3. Native Americans. I am one of these and I don't generally like them. The reasons are too many to list. Like the Jews, they think they have a monopoly on being oppressed. The average child on the Pine Ridge Reservation attends school on 50% of school days. A boy born on the Ridge today has a life expectancy of 47 years and fault lies not in their stars but in themselves.

4. Cowboys. I worked as a ranch hand for many many years and the next person who says, "we ride for brand and not for the man," to me is going to get run over by my horse. Fuck that. The man is the brand, you stupid fucking cowboy. If you want to get a sense of how stupid people can be, go to a cowboy bar.

I'm sure there are others but right now that's all I can think of.

Lots of lumping huh?

My Hispanic uncle yada yada yada.
You do realize that the term Hispanic is quite broad, it includes Spaniards, Chileans, Columbians, Mexicans, etc.
IMO there is a great difference in not valuing education and not having access to one.
I take it you are of the male Caucasian “culture”. I have lots of Caucasian friends and have worked among them most of my life and as a rule they tend to be quite judgmental and prone to unsupported generalizations regarding other cultures. Don’t get me wrong, there are a great many exceptions to the rule. Rolleyes

Statistically speaking not much of a difference, just saying. Drinking Beverage
http://www.bls.gov/web/empsit/cpsee_e16.htm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
22-02-2016, 02:12 PM
I have to speak as a woman on this topic. At one time most cultures around the world treated women pretty much the same, as chattel. It's really been in the last 100 years that the gulf between the way one culture treats women and another is more distinct. Some Muslim cultures are living in the dark ages and sometimes it seems that parts of South America are struggling to push their culture into the 17th century. Cultures vary widely when it comes to treating women as equals.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
22-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Are we talking 'major' cultures or do subcultures count? Are emo kids equal with yuppies? Do the rave trancers have anything over stoners and acidheads? Are preppers superior to those who live in the moment? Flat-earthers and holocaust deniers? Will those without labels have labels thrust upon them? How many hairs can we split here?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 3 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
22-02-2016, 02:36 PM
This seems like a strange question. Isn't it a question about value? I'm thinking that the answer is most likely no regardless of which culture you come from. In the end culture seems like a stupid and arbitrary thing to me. Culture to me mean to be stuck in your past unwilling to move forward. It seems divisive and thous it becomes harder to evolve as citizens on a planet. It is cultures that are going to doom mankind, and in that they are equally stupid.